The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it
• The computer company is facing troubles because of three issues:
o technological stagnation,
o marketing missteps, and
o managerial blunders.
• The company has tried several measures to revise its corporate strategies but all have failed to solve these issues. However, this sentence does not express the meaning correctly because of use of “so that”.
• The clause following “so that” is not doing the job it is supposed to` as discussed earlier. Meaning error here.
• All these entities are noun phrases and the modifier following them actually describes these so we simply need a noun modifier to describe them. If “so” is removed from “so that”, then “that” will correctly turn into the noun modifier that will correctly describe all the troubles.
• Singular pronoun “it” is incorrect to refer to three troubles. In fact, we don’t even need that pronoun. Let’s understand this with the help of a simple example.
o Dr Lee’s degree allows him to diagnose ear, nose and throat diseases that he cures for very little fee.
In this sentence we do not need “them” after “cures” because all the diseases that Dr Lee can cure has already been stated. Similarly, we don’t need any pronoun in the “that clause” as all the troubles that the computer company is facing have already been stated.POE:Choice A:
so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it: Incorrect
for the reasons discussed above.Choice B:
so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct: Incorrect.
Same meaning error as in A.Choice C:
in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them: Incorrect.
a. The function of the clause following “in that” is to describe the “how” of the preceding clause.
o Bats are very good at guarding their nests in that they take turns in looking after the nests and inform the others members by making sound if they sense any danger.
But in this choice, the 2nd clause is not describing how the three issues actually lead to troubles for the computer company.
b. Pronoun “them” is incorrect. Logically this should refer to the tech stagnation, missteps, and blunders. But the way it is used, it refers to strategies and that distorts the meaning of the sentence. Choice D:
that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct. Correct.Choice E:
that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them. Incorrect
. Same pronoun error as in C.
1. Modifiers must be worded correctly to convey the intended meaning of the sentence.
2. Every pronoun must be used correctly.
Hope this helps.
Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.