Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 22

The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 07:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:55) correct 27% (01:14) wrong based on 593 sessions
The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because

A.many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them
B.most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them
C.even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties
D.the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry
E.the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 08:17
crejoc wrote:
The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because

B.most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them

C.even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties

D.the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry

E.the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale

The part I edited out "points a finger" at B. If I really need some sort of computer software that I can't get without paying, then I'll surely pay for it. If I'm only marginally interested in it, then I might just ignore it.

Arguments for eliminating the rest:

A. doesn't matter if they do or do not use them, the idea is that piracy is still there

C. financial difficulties are not relevant here; the fact that piracy means losses is

D. while that may be true, but, again, the companies would still experience losses

E. similar to E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 08:25
I would go for E.. Option (B) would cause losses to the industry but the conclusion states that the loss to the industry is much smaller..and option (E) states that number of programs (illegal) are slow compared to those put up for sale.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 249 [1] , given: 22

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
sanoasis wrote:
I would go for E.. Option (B) would cause losses to the industry but the conclusion states that the loss to the industry is much smaller..and option (E) states that number of programs (illegal) are slow compared to those put up for sale.

number of programs copied illegally and number of programs for sale is irrelevant, if it is low or high, anyway there is loss due to piracy, the answer we need is which explains that the actual loss to the industry due to piracy is much less than estimated loss...

Last edited by crejoc on 18 Aug 2009, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 10:22
DanaJ wrote:
crejoc wrote:
The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by . Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because

The part I edited out "points a finger" at B. If I really need some sort of computer software that I can't get without paying, then I'll surely pay for it. If I'm only marginally interested in it, then I might just ignore it.

people with no serious interest in the programs isn't this pointing bolded in A, For me A and B are so close ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 10:46
DanaJ wrote:
crejoc wrote:

I agree with B

I got it now, A is stating what is needed indirectly, and B states directly, as we are finding the actual loss in money, not purchasing them will decrease the estimated loss. I agree with B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 14

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 16:45
I will go with B

Always tag your question

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 32

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
B.

A does not link to $$$ as much as B does.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 29

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
crejoc wrote:
Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because

OA later after discussion..

E is irrevelant with the premise (bold part) just two choices are agree with bold part. If most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased because the users have no or little interest with these programs they just copy to try them. So the answer is B

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 06:09
OA: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 04:07
B is a no-brainer.

Author states "millions of dollars", an absolute value, not a relative amount. Therefore, even if the pirated copies were only .0001% of revenues, E would still be wrong.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 48

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
Wow good question

would go with E wats the OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 22:48
imo- B,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 03:34
author fail to mentioned THE so called O.A.----B
I have seen this in my old LSAT tests. B is superior than A ,Because we need to justify that piracy actually cause little bit of harm.........If one don't buy ,If there is no piracy then this is true that companies are exaggerating their financial loses by piracy .

Quote:
Give me Kudos ,So that I can post more useful O.E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 05:50
crejoc wrote:

OA later after discussion..

This is "explain the argument question"
Let's do it by POE -
(A) - The word "never", makes this option too extreme. Incorrect.
(B) - Nothing wrong in it. Let's hold on to it.
(C) - This answer choice talks about "financial difficulties" of computer industry and does not explain why the losses claimed are exaggerated. Incorrect.
(D) - This answer option compares "the total market value of all illegal copies" to " the total revenue of the computer industry" and does not explain why the losses claimed are exaggerated. Incorrect.
(E) - This answer option compares "the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low" to " the number of programs available for sale" and does not explain why the losses claimed are exaggerated. Incorrect.

(B) wins by POE.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: computer industry [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 05:57
Its B

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 21:08

A.many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them even if users doesn't use copied program, that doesn't rule out the possibility of lost revenue due to copying of program.

B.most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them this options ends the alternate possibility that user might have bought the software program if he/she hasn't copied it. IMO Correct answer

C.even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties : stimulus talk about missing revenue because of illegal copying of program, it has nothing to do with situation after regaining this missing revenue

D.the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry out of scope ... argument is concerned with estimated loss of revenue due to copying, it has nothing to do with its relative amt wrt total revenue

E.the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale out of scope
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 51

Re: The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 07:26
option B is the best .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 03:33
+1 B

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 543

Re: The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 05:16
I was stuck between B and D... Both answer choices are attractive options...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Re: The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of   [#permalink] 15 May 2013, 05:16