Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The concert rules as defined by the organising committee

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

The concert rules as defined by the organising committee [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 11:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (01:38) correct 35% (00:43) wrong based on 162 sessions
The concert rules as defined by the organising committee does not allow the use of mobile phones during the concert nor does it allow the consumption of hard drinks.

A) does not allow the use of mobile phones during the concert nor does it allow the consumption of hard drinks.
B) do not allow mobile phones to be used during the concert, not allowing the consumption of hard drinks as well.
C) do not allow the use of mobile phones nor the consumption of hard drinks during the concert.
D) do not allow the use of mobile phones or the consumption of hard drinks during the concert.
E) neither allows the use of mobile phones during the concert nor do they allow the consumption of hard drinks.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This one got me thinking on the usage of 'nor' and 'or'. I want experts to chip in and clarify the usage.

Thanks,
Vaibhav
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Last edited by Narenn on 20 Jul 2013, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Renamed - Please use the first sentence of the question to name the topic
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1381 [0], given: 122

Re: The concert rules [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 21:49
Hi vabhs192003

Could you please tell the source? IMO, this question is not good. GMAT always tests standard English grammars.

The structure "X do not allow Y or Z" is very ambiguous. The intended meaning is X do not allow both Y and Z or what? If that's the case, the formal structure should be:
(1) X do not allow either Y or Z
(2) X allow neither Y nor Z

Regards.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: McCombs '14

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The concert rules as defined by the organising committee [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 13:39
I have checked for double negatives, Hence do not allow (- ve) X or Y (+ve)

IMO D
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The concert rules as defined by the organising committee [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 05:39
Expert's post
By any chance is this a question framed by you? I secong pghai, i feel none of the answers are best suited keeping in mnd english grammar, A could have been close if it had do instead of does...
Please be sure that you do not post wrong questions or post wrong answers, that may pull down the confidence of test takers

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: The concert rules as defined by the organising committee [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 07:11
A) does not allow the use of mobile phones during the concert nor does it allow the consumption of hard drinks.
wrong: the concert rules is plural. the verb in 'does not allow' is singular.
B) do not allow mobile phones to be used during the concert, not allowing the consumption of hard drinks as well.
wrong: 'do not allow....., not allowing the...' construction is awkward.
C) do not allow the use of mobile phones nor the consumption of hard drinks during the concert.
wrong: 'neither x nor y' is correct idiomatic construction.
D) do not allow the use of mobile phones or the consumption of hard drinks during the concert.
right: do not allow x or y is correct and clear.
E) neither allows the use of mobile phones during the concert nor do they allow the consumption of hard drinks.
wrong: "neither x nor y". 'during the concert' introduced in between makes awkward.

LPN

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: The concert rules as defined by the organising committee [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 23:44
I am very confsed.. I ve found some sc examples using not..nor stucture.. now really dunno what to choose if this come in real GMAT,..

Please anyone explain the right way :-(
Re: The concert rules as defined by the organising committee   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2013, 23:44