Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The condor,high in the sky, soaring over the foothills that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The condor,high in the sky, soaring over the foothills that [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 07:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The condor,high in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot , dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majestythat is rare among birds in fight.

A

B The condor, being high in the sky and soaring over foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede,attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight.

C The condor, when it is high in the sky and soars over the foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede,attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight.

D On hot, dry days, when the foothills look like brushed brown suede and the condor, high in the sky, soars over them, it attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight.

E Attaining a majesty that is rare among birds in flight, high in the sky, the condor soars over foothills that look like brushed brown suede on hot , dry days

please answer with explanation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 00:16
i think B is incorrect ..

because "being" is mostly incorrect in GMAT ..

i go with E...

i will explain it later
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 08:30
hi all

for this question , i have to apology all of u because there is an error

i will repost it

this is a new version

High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot , dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majestythat is rare among birds in fight.

A

B The condor, being high in the sky and soaring over foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede,attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight.

C The condor, when it is high in the sky and soars over the foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede,attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight.

D On hot, dry days, when the foothills look like brushed brown suede and the condor, high in the sky, soars over them, it attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight.

E Attaining a majesty that is rare among birds in flight, high in the sky, the condor soars over foothills that look like brushed brown suede on hot , dry days

Please give it another try
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 14:25
C seems OK to me...

In E...Attaining a majesty that is rare among birds in flight, should modify Condor ..which it does not ( Candor should follow right after the comma).Hence I feel E is not the right answer.

Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 08:00
Hi

There is nothing wrong in the sentence. A is correct.

High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot , dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majestythat is rare among birds in fight.

A High in the sky, (soaring over the foothills that on hot , dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majestythat is rare among birds in fight - For such se)ntences, break them and analyse..i have broken them in brackets,, check it out.

B The condor, being high in the sky and soaring over foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede,attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight. - Sounds like the Condor looks like brushed brown suede.- Wrong.

C The condor, when it is high in the sky and soars over the foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede,attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight. - THE SAME AS B

D On hot, dry days, when the foothills look like brushed brown suede and the condor, high in the sky, soars over them, it attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight. - To be honest, this just does not sound right, espclly the words IT ATTAINS A MAJESTY, not really clear which one is it referring to - Wrong

E Attaining a majesty that is rare among birds in flight, high in the sky, the condor soars over foothills that look like brushed brown suede on hot , dry days - Too wordy and clumsy.. sorry i go by my ear. Wrong.

Correct me if i am wrong.
Regards

Giving another SHOT

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 08:16
congratulation CARSEN

your answer is correct .OA is A
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 May 2004, 18:05
Doesen't soaring over the foothills seem to modify sky if A is to be correct????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 May 2004, 21:27
For A to be correct "dry days look like brushed brown suede" should be elsewhere!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 May 2004, 22:05
Hi

A. High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot , dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majesty that is rare among birds in fight.

Regarding the question on what it modifes

Your question - Doesen't soaring over the foothills seem to modify sky if A is to be correct????

The first sentences, high in the sky, soaring over ... are attributes of the condor. One has to ask, WHAT IS HIGH IN THE SKY - Answer CONDOR, seond sentence, WHAT IS SOARING OVER THE FOOTHILLS - Answer Condor. It is similar to ....

On top of a hill, balancing with great difficulty, James stands with pride over his victory. In this sentence, Balancing does not modify hill :-D .
Break the sentence and check the attribute, to which does the qualities refer to. Taking the same example.

On top of the hill - Who is on top of the hill - James.
Balancing with great difficulty - who is finding difficult - James.

I hope I was able to expain you.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2004, 02:20
carsen wrote:
It is similar to ....

On top of a hill, balancing with great difficulty, James stands with pride over his victory. In this sentence, Balancing does not modify hill :-D .
Break the sentence and check the attribute, to which does the qualities refer to. Taking the same example.

On top of the hill - Who is on top of the hill - James.
Balancing with great difficulty - who is finding difficult - James.

I hope I was able to expain you.

Regards

Ummm, actually the original question is not similar to your example. Yours is grammatically correct. The original sentence though would be similar to
On top of a hill, balancing with great difficulty, Lisa is looking up at him from below :-D , James stands with pride over his victory.

The grammar says "in order to prevent confusion, a participial phrase must be placed as close to the noun it modifies as possible, and the noun must be clearly stated."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2004, 03:33
hi Ob

Comparing both the sentences, I am unable to find where LISA fits in the orginal sentence. since I am taing my example to illustrate.

On top of a hill, balancing with great difficulty, James stands with pride over his victory

Let us see, sentence to sentence, (i am breaking both the sentences)

On top of the hill...
High in the sky...

Balancing with great difficulty...
Soaring over the foothill THAT (that relates to foothill) on hot dry days look like brushed brown suede...

James stands with pride over his victory...
The Condor attains ....

Now, let me know if this is clear or am i missing something here. Please illustrate your statement with the your example which has LISA in it. Thanks buddy.

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2004, 07:04
Hi there Carsen,

I'm sorry my example was somewhat ambiguous. The Lisa thing was just a way to show that "dry days look like brushed brown suede" is a seperate full-fledged sentence which is really an odd man out...

OH MY GOD.... :oops: :oops: :oops: OH MY GOD..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I missed "that" and misplaced the comma!!! Man, I'm awfully sorry!!! My bad. :oops: Choice A is fine.
  [#permalink] 29 May 2004, 07:04