Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The conflict between an artist s work and the context in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 31

The conflict between an artist s work and the context in [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 05:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (02:12) correct 26% (01:16) wrong based on 80 sessions
The conflict between an artist’s work and the context in which it is placed is a traditional problem in aesthetics. Recent exhibits have given it a new urgency. Too often a painter’s canvases have been hung in an improper context because the gallery managers have not understood what the painter envisioned as the work’s proper environment.

As an attempt to solve the problem described above, it would be most reasonable to

(A) bring artists and gallery managers into closer contact, so as to increase the artist’s input into the way the exhibit is held.
(B) provide brochures at the exhibit that describe the artist and how he or she intended the exhibit to look
(C) redesign galleries so that their decor contains nothing that would distract the audience from the works themselves
(D) provide a uniform environment for all the works in an exhibition so that they appear within the same context
(E) instruct gallery managers in the fine points of aesthetic theory so that they will be able to tell what, if anything, a painting means

[Reveal] Spoiler:
i thought A is wrong as it will be difficult for Manager to incorporate the inputs by artists as artists can have different views on the way exhibition is held and Manager cannot make everyone Happy. That's why I went with B. Did I thought too much on this? B does the Job well. It gives Manager sufficient information to execute the exhibition.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The conflict between [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
Vineetk wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
i thought A is wrong as it will be difficult for Manager to incorporate the inputs by artists as artists can have different views on the way exhibition is held and Manager cannot make everyone Happy. That's why I went with B. Did I thought too much on this? B does the Job well. It gives Manager sufficient information to execute the exhibition.

hi ,
yes i think you thought out of context.
problem of the argument:
managers dont know how to present the art..as it is inteded by author.
so now if both mangers and artist are in regular touch then this problem can be solved.
we dont have to think what other work artist or manager do...we just have to worry about the problem stated and we have to solve that problem only .

now option B is wrong TOO:
provide brochures at the exhibit that describe the artist and how he or she intended the exhibit to look==> THIS MEANS mangers will do by their own way without bothering author...but brochure will be provided to everybody coming to see the art for making those viewer to understand the authors intention.===> THIS DOESNT SOLVES OUR PROBLEM OF...AUTHOR VS MANAGERS...
HENCE THIS IS WRONG

KUDOS if it helped.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-02-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: The conflict between [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 07:45
then what would be the answer .. I was thinking D ?
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The conflict between [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 07:55
tgt2012 wrote:
then what would be the answer .. I was thinking D ?

Answer is A

(A) bring artists and gallery managers into closer contact, so as to increase the artist’s input into the way the exhibit is held.

SEE as i have stated in above post:
problem of the argument:
managers dont know how to present the art..as it is inteded by artists.
so now if both mangers and artist are in regular touch then this problem can be solved.
that is what option A IS saying.

D cant be the answer:
provide a uniform environment for all the works in an exhibition so that they appear within the same context===>if you provide the same environment for all the environment then in that case is it solving the conflict of MANAGER and AUTHOR==>NO

example : you put all the painting in a beautiful well designed room==>you are providing same environment for all.
but does this mean that the managers will present the art as per the artists intention.===> we cant say
hence option D is wrong

KUDOS if it helped.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1127 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The conflict between [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Vineetk wrote:
I thought A is wrong as it will be difficult for Manager to incorporate the inputs by artists as artists can have different views on the way exhibition is held and Manager cannot make everyone Happy. That's why I went with B. Did I thought too much on this? B does the Job well. It gives Manager sufficient information to execute the exhibition.

Yes you thought too much. The text does not say anything like that so you cannot assume it. Stick to what it's given.

B does not the job well. We know that "canvases have been hung in an improper context because the gallery managers have not understood what the painter envisioned as the work’s proper environment."

Even if you "B provide brochures at the exhibit that describe the artist and how he or she intended the exhibit to look" but you do not change anything about the context, the problem remains.
The brochure could say something like "the artist designed this painting with light in his mind", but if you place the canvas in a dark room the problem remains.

Hope it' s clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Re: The conflict between   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2013, 08:46