Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The consistency of ice cream is adversely affected by even

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

The consistency of ice cream is adversely affected by even [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 14:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The consistency of ice cream is adversely affected by even slight temperature changes in the freezer. To counteract his problem, manufacturers add stabilizers to ice cream. Unfortunately, stabilizers, though inexpensive, adversely affect flavor. Stabilizers are less needed if storage temperatures are very low. However, since energy costs are constantly going up, those costs constitute a strong incentive in favor of relatively high storage temperatures.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage?

(A) Even slight deviations from the proper consistency for ice cream sharply impair its flavor.

(B) Cost considerations favor sacrificing consistency over sacrificing flavor.

(C) It would not be cost effective to develop a new device to maintain the constancy of freezer temperatures.

(D) Stabilizers function well only at very low freezer temperatures.

(E) Very low, stable freezer temperatures allow for the best possible consistency and flavor of ice cream.

Couldnt decide between E and A
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 14:47
Jamesk486 wrote:
The consistency of ice cream is adversely affected by even slight temperature changes in the freezer. To counteract his problem, manufacturers add stabilizers to ice cream. Unfortunately, stabilizers, though inexpensive, adversely affect flavor. Stabilizers are less needed if storage temperatures are very low. However, since energy costs are constantly going up, those costs constitute a strong incentive in favor of relatively high storage temperatures.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage?

(A) Even slight deviations from the proper consistency for ice cream sharply impair its flavor.

Consistency of icecream is adversly affested by slight temperature change [True]... But the flavor will only get affected if manufacturer is adding stablizers to icecream rather than maintaining the low temperature.

(C) It would not be cost effective to develop a new device to maintain the constancy of freezer temperatures.

(D) Stabilizers function well only at very low freezer temperatures.

(E) Very low, stable freezer temperatures allow for the best possible consistency and flavor of ice cream.

This is the right answer as it is clearly infered from passage [ The consistency of ice cream is adversely affected by even slight temperature changes in the freezer. + Unfortunately,adversely affect flavor + Stabilizers are less needed if storage temperatures are very low.]

Couldnt decide between E and A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 14:56
Are you sure it's E?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 15:01
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
Are you sure it's E?

Ah...guess it makes sense, when you look at the fact that 'Stabilizers are less needed if storage temperatures are very low.' which would mean that better consistencies are maintained at lower temperatures.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 18:02
B

Cost considerations favor sacrificing consistency over sacrificing flavor.

[cost considerations -> relatively high temperatures -> more stabilizers -> less flavor]
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 18:14
I also think B is choice

Honestly, I dont see any relevance btw A, E and the stimulus.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 18:37
Sorry i am not able to correlate between sacrificing consistency with sacrificing flavor...since consistency can be maintained by adding stabilizers so actually we are not sacrificing consistency ... however i can correlate between flavour and cost...!!!

am i missing something..!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 18:37
sondenso wrote:
I also think B is choice

Funny that you should mention it....my first take was B...but then i read the comments....i am still not sold on E....any bidders ;)
Manager
Manager

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 20:41
well the OA is E
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 20:47
agreed on OA (E)
But kindly let me know how to explain the elimination of (B) since this also can be considered a valid inference of the argument

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 20:50
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
sondenso wrote:
I also think B is choice

Funny that you should mention it....my first take was B...but then i read the comments....i am still not sold on E....any bidders ;)

I think B is giving a oposite view.

Look at the portion:
stabilizers, though inexpensive --> implies --> cost consideration favoring flavor
+
since energy costs are constantly going up, those costs constitute a strong incentive in favor of relatively high storage temperatures --> implies --> Since energy cost is high it is better to have high temp (as compared to consistent + low temp) and use stablizers to maintain consitence at high temp.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 20:55
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
sondenso wrote:
I also think B is choice

i agree with you.. E should be the answer

we are not sacrificing consistancy, the stablizers are taking care of consistancy problem. In fact we are sacrificing flavor... if option B was something like "Cost considerations favor sacrificing flavor" then may be yes....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 05:10
durgesh79 wrote:
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
sondenso wrote:
I also think B is choice

i agree with you.. E should be the answer

we are not sacrificing consistancy, the stablizers are taking care of consistancy problem. In fact we are sacrificing flavor... if option B was something like "Cost considerations favor sacrificing flavor" then may be yes....

Look at the following

If we deny this, ie

Cost considerations do not favor sacrificing consistency over sacrificing flavor.

Then the need for stabilizers just goes out the window and hence the argument. It is cost that is a driving factor, and people are willing to compromise on flavor(by adding stabilizers) to ensure consistency is mantained. Which is what this statement says!!

Fight must go on...still not sold!!! :boxer2
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 06:44
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
Look at the following

If we deny this, ie

Cost considerations do not favor sacrificing consistency over sacrificing flavor.

Then the need for stabilizers just goes out the window and hence the argument. It is cost that is a driving factor, and people are willing to compromise on flavor(by adding stabilizers) to ensure consistency is mantained. Which is what this statement says!!

Going by your logic the option B should be
(B) Cost considerations favor ensuring consistency over sacrificing flavor.

as you said, people are willing to compromise on flavor to "ensure" consistency, not compromise on it.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 07:12
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
Look at the following

If we deny this, ie

Consistency:

Low Temperature = Less stabilizers needed = Better Flavor
High Temperature = more stabilizers needed = Poor Flavor

"However, since energy costs are constantly going up, those costs constitute a strong incentive in favor of relatively high storage temperatures."

We favor high storage temperatures due to cost.

Therefore we favor sacrificing flavor. Higher temperatures mean we will need more stabilizers and therefore poor flavor.

In order to sacrifice consistency at high temperatures we would have to not use stabilizers. Nothing indicates that manufactures would not use stabilizers.
Re: CR question   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2008, 07:12