Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The constellation that includes the North Star has been know

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 9

The constellation that includes the North Star has been know [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 08:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:47) correct 39% (00:47) wrong based on 74 sessions
The constellation that includes the North Star has been known by many names among different cultures, called “The Bear” in ancient Greece, “The Drinking Gourd” in parts of Africa, and “Star Girl and Her Seven Sky Brothers” among the Cheyenne people of North America.

(A) among different cultures, called
(B) among different cultures; it was called
(C) in different cultures, being called
(D) in different cultures; including the title
(E) in different cultures; it was called
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I feel that OA- E is changing the meaning a little. original " ... has been known by many names... -The Drinking Gourd- in parts of Africa". There is no indication that it is not known by the name now in those parts of Africa.

So I chose, C. Even if wordy, it maintains the meaning of "has been"... thoughts?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: v01 16 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 19:32
gmattokyo wrote:
The constellation that includes the North Star has been known by many names among different cultures, called “The Bear” in ancient Greece, “The Drinking Gourd” in parts of Africa, and “Star Girl and Her Seven Sky Brothers” among the Cheyenne people of North America.

* among different cultures, called
* among different cultures; it was called
* in different cultures, being called
* in different cultures; including the title
* in different cultures; it was called

I feel that OA- E is changing the meaning a little. original " ... has been known by many names... -The Drinking Gourd- in parts of Africa". There is no indication that it is not known by the name now in those parts of Africa.

So I chose, C. Even if wordy, it maintains the meaning of "has been"... thoughts?

to me, it seems as though, in C, "being called" could be referring to different cultures not the constellation
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 157

The constellation that includes the North Star has been [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 02:58
This post received
KUDOS
The constellation that includes the North Star has been known by many names among different cultures, called “The Bear” in ancient Greece, “The Drinking Gourd” in parts of Africa, and “Star Girl and Her Seven Sky Brothers” among the Cheyenne people of North America

among different cultures, called
among different cultures; it was called
in different cultures, being called
in different cultures; including the title
in different cultures; it was called

Spoiler:
Doubt
In the question, "it" in choice E is ambigious whether it refers to Constellation or North Star, how to decide in such circumstances.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [1] , given: 36

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
It is in the subject position of the "first" clause and unambiguously refer to "constellation"

Jim is working harder than Jack, as he wants the scholarship. ----> He (in subject position of first clause) is not ambiguous. It refers to Jim not Jack.

Pls see this post - pronoun-95757.html?hilit=Jim%20is%20working%20harder%20than

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 157

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 01:35
This post received
KUDOS
nusmavrik wrote:
It is in the subject position of the "first" clause and unambiguously refer to "constellation"

Jim is working harder than Jack, as he wants the scholarship. ----> He (in subject position of first clause) is not ambiguous. It refers to Jim not Jack.

So u mean to say if in a sentence, "if" correctly refers to the subject of a sentence, then its fine, so if in the below sentence it was

In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the US was nearly as fast as it was in the 1970's

Based on this one can understand that IT refers to rate of increase, but even minority population is also a noun, yet it is not the primary subject hence IT does not refer to minority population.

If a pronoun such as IT in the subordinate clause, has 2 antecendents i.e. 2 nouns such as

Fishing is a sport and knitting is an art, hence john loves it. here it is ambigious as to whether it refers to Fishing or Knitting.

Am i correct in understanding this concept, pls explain.

In the 1980’s the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970’s.

(A) twice as fast as
(B) twice as fast as it was in
(C) twice what it was in
(D) two times faster than that of
(E) two times greater than

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 20

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 14:15
utin wrote:
I do not understand y are we using "was called" in choice E???

The constellation has been known by many names...[so, why the change?]; it was called...
I would also want to know the reason for the change in tense from "has been" to "was called"

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Bluerobbin I see. I need kudos for explaining this one ! :-D

I can break the above sentence into 2 clause
Jim is working harder than Jack.
He wants the scholarship.

Now this will hint that this sentence is different. Do you have more than one clauses??

In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the US was nearly as fast as it was in the 1970's >>>> "it" is correct as it is comparing the "rate of increase"

2 mistakes in this sentence -
1. "as fast as" is redundant since you are using "increase" - rate of increase
2. Use DOUBLE,TRIPLE as verbs and TWICE ,THRICE for comparisons

Fishing is a sport and knitting is an art, hence john loves it. here it is ambigious as to whether it refers to Fishing or Knitting. >> Right on ! "it" is ambiguous. Break the sentence into three parts

Fishing is a sport
knitting is an art
John loves it ----> "it" (in the object position of clause 3) can refer to sport or to art. Hence ambiguous!

In the 1980’s the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970’s.
(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in
IMO : C
In your example if you say "it" is referring to minority population then you are forgetting the preposition "of"
e.g Men of Rome that fought bravely
that refers to "Men" which is a noun before the preposition.

BlueRobin wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:

So u mean to say if in a sentence, "if" correctly refers to the subject of a sentence, then its fine, so if in the below sentence it was

In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the US was nearly as fast as it was in the 1970's

Based on this one can understand that IT refers to rate of increase, but even minority population is also a noun, yet it is not the primary subject hence IT does not refer to minority population.

If a pronoun such as IT in the subordinate clause, has 2 antecendents i.e. 2 nouns such as

Fishing is a sport and knitting is an art, hence john loves it. here it is ambigious as to whether it refers to Fishing or Knitting.

Am i correct in understanding this concept, pls explain.

(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 02:12
Thanks nusmavrik. Can you explain the implications of a preposition- as you mention
>> if you say "it" is referring to minority population then you are forgetting the preposition "of"

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
The results of the recognition of the importance of oral rehydration therapy [is/are] very encouraging to WHO ------> subject is "results". Hence the verb should be "are"

the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was ----> subject is "rate" NOT minority population.

Men of Rome who fought bravely ...... ----> subject is "Men" NOT Rome

In the example :
In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the US was nearly as fast as it was in the 1970's >>>> "it" is correct as it is comparing the "rate of increase" between the two periods. However this sentence has redundancies as I have explained earlier.

pdarun wrote:
Thanks nusmavrik. Can you explain the implications of a preposition- as you mention
>> if you say "it" is referring to minority population then you are forgetting the preposition "of"

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: v01 16 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 22:36
The explanation says C is too wordy, however, E has more words than C. How is C more wordy than E?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 71

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star has been [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 05:19
What's wrong with B?
what's the difference between "among different cultures" and "in different cultures"?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star has been [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 02:59
I have no clue with this one. POE is "D", but do not understand why it is used "in different cultures; it was called".
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
The constellation that includes the North Star has been [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 20:15
The constellation that includes the North Star has been known by many names among different cultures, called “The Bear” in ancient Greece, “The Drinking Gourd” in parts of Africa, and “Star Girl and Her Seven Sky Brothers” among the Cheyenne people of North America

among different cultures, called
among different cultures; it was called
in different cultures, being called
in different cultures; including the title
in different cultures; it was called

Not any convincing explanations in old threads, so posting the same.

Queries:
(1).Plz explain In V/s Among
(2). Why (C). is wrong ?? because IMO (C) says correctly.
(3). The ambiguity of "it" in the second clause of (E)

The CONS has been known, (after comma part if in "ing" form tells us "How?" the preceding clause took place or else provides the result of prec. clause)
The CONS has been known , and how it has been known "being called X,Y,Z among....)

Plz explain

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 643 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 01:24
Expert's post
not convinced with the tense usage in E. Its given that "...has been known", then how can E is correct since it uses "was called".
Whats the source?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 11:08
@Marcab

GMAT Club Tests only.

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 22:34
Straight E..

there are three contenders...B,C and E..

as per Manhattan Sentence Correction Guide...'being' usage should be avoided in GMAT (C is out)...

between B and D....
B uses 'among'...now we don't know that only the cultures named in the sentence names the constellation by these names or there are others too..
so we use 'different'
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1190 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The constellation that includes the North Star has been kno [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS

The first thing to solve here is "in" VS "among". Here the winner is (IMO) "in", " North Star has been known by many names in/among different cultures": has been known (...) among is wrong.
Out A and B.
Now I can eliminate C easly, "COMMA +ING" modifies the preceding clause, in this case "being " refers to "North Star has been known by many names" (doesn't make sense).
D or E?

D) in different cultures; including the title
E) in different cultures; it was called

When we use ";", we must be aware that is connects two indipent phrases. In D "including" spoils this construct (D is not an indipendent phrase" including the title “The Bear” in ancient Greece ...")
IMO E

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 85

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star has been kno [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 07:58
Official Explanation:
The sentence tests the idiomatic version of the preposition in, which should be used to refer to different cultures. Among is not appropriate here, because the sentence is concerned with the use of names inside each culture. Secondly, the creation of a grammatically correct sentence using a semicolon is being tested.

A) Among would indicate terms common to each culture and is not appropriate in this sentence. Also, the sentence as written is incomplete.

B) Though the sentence is complete, among does not correctly modify different cultures.

C) This option creates a complete sentence, but is unnecessarily wordy.

D) Both a semicolon and conjunction are used in this option, making the sentence incomplete.

E) This option correctly uses the preposition in to modify different cultures and creates a complete sentence by inserting a semicolon.

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2605 [0], given: 696

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star has been kno [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 10:03
Expert's post
Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2605 [0], given: 696

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star has been kno [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 13:36
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:
Rock750 wrote:

A) among different cultures, called
B) among different cultures; it was called
C) in different cultures, being called
D) in different cultures; including the title
E) in different cultures; it was called

I picked B .I thought among is right.Why among is wrong here?

well this seems a silly question but indeed is not.

here is the difference between "among/between" http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.it/2008/04 ... tween.html

back to your question, here is not only a question about "among " as wrong modifier but in my opinion is more slight the difference.

The names are known not among the cultures - the cultures itself didn't share the name - but inside the different cultures the name was identified in different manners. maybe "among" them was known each others how they called the north star but maybe NOT. Each cultures was incapsuleted in their vision and saw at north star in different ways.

So we are concern how NS was called "inside" the single culture. one by one. In Africa (culture) was called X, in Asia Y, in Australia Z and so on

This is a great question; it tastes not only idioms but meaning at the top

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Re: The constellation that includes the North Star has been kno   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2013, 13:36