Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 8

The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

42% (02:51) correct 57% (01:36) wrong based on 35 sessions
The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river has caused unforeseen environmental effects. By preventing annual floods, the dam prevents the river from stirring up sediments collected on the river bottom and from depositing them high on the banks of the river. These sediments are necessary for the creation and maintenance of sandbars, which form natural habitats for native fish. If water is released from the dam annually, the river would flood and thus recreate the sandbars normally found below the dam.

The prediction above relies on which of the following?

There are no other effects of the dam that would prevent the native fish of the river from using the new sandbars below the dam.
The flood caused by releasing water from the dam would be like a natural flood in every major respect.
The sandbars that would result from the artificial flooding of the river would be exactly the same size as the sandbars previously created by normal flooding.
There are other dams upriver from the Glenn Canyon Dam that must also release water in order for the flood from the Glenn Canyon Dam to be successful.
The dam does not prevent the flow of sediments from upriver needed to replenish the sediments that inevitably wash downstream over time.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 20:38
bschool83 wrote:
The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river has caused unforeseen environmental effects. By preventing annual floods, the dam prevents the river from stirring up sediments collected on the river bottom and from depositing them high on the banks of the river. These sediments are necessary for the creation and maintenance of sandbars, which form natural habitats for native fish. If water is released from the dam annually, the river would flood and thus recreate the sandbars normally found below the dam.

There are no other effects of the dam that would prevent the native fish of the river from using the new sandbars below the dam. - Negate this, and the argument is not affected.

The flood caused by releasing water from the dam would be like a natural flood in every major respect. - Negate this, and the argument falls apart. If water relase is not like a natural flood, sandbars will not be formed

The sandbars that would result from the artificial flooding of the river would be exactly the same size as the sandbars previously created by normal flooding. Negate this, and the argument is not affected. How about other attributes of sandbars as durability, strength etc. ?

There are other dams upriver from the Glenn Canyon Dam that must also release water in order for the flood from the Glenn Canyon Dam to be successful. Negate this, and the argument is not affected.

The dam does not prevent the flow of sediments from upriver needed to replenish the sediments that inevitably wash downstream over time. Negate this, and the argument is not affected.

What is the OA ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 20:44
B.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
There are no other effects of the dam that would prevent the native fish of the river from using the new sandbars below the dam. If you look carefully at the conclusion, it just says that release of water --> Flood --> Recreation of sand bars. It does NOT say that the fish would come and stay in THESE sandbars. Thus the prediction, as a standalone statement, doesnt per se depend on whether the fish will use these sandbars or not
The flood caused by releasing water from the dam would be like a natural flood in every major respect. The predictios is saying release of water will cause a flood, which it assumes will create sandbars like a normal natural flood does. this is important for the prediction to stand - if the dam flood doesnt move sediments it wont create sandbars and the prediction would fail!
The sandbars that would result from the artificial flooding of the river would be exactly the same size as the sandbars previously created by normal flooding. Similar to A, creation of sandbar is important, whether they are usable/ same or different doesnt really matter at least for this prediction
There are other dams upriver from the Glenn Canyon Dam that must also release water in order for the flood from the Glenn Canyon Dam to be successful.The prediction doesnt rely on that - it doesnt depend on any other dams
The dam does not prevent the flow of sediments from upriver needed to replenish the sediments that inevitably wash downstream over time.If this were true, the prediction would fail..if the dam is not preventing the sediments from coming down and creating sandbars anyway, what is the need of the flood?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 03:15
Nicely explained. Thanks.

Conquer the Hell and make it Haven. Brain is your hell and Success is your haven!

"Kudos" is significant part of GMAT prep. If you like it, you just click it :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 05:51
B is incorrect!

I'm happy that the majority of the people got this one wrong. I feel that my learning is maximized when I have made a mistake. Sir Winston Churchill once said... "All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from their mistakes".

I like this question because it has a lot of trap answers. So let's systematically focus on the stimulus. In an assumption question, look for an unstated information that is required for the argument to be true.

PARAPHRASING is key here.

Evidence: Natural floods stir up sediments creating natural sandbars providing a habitat for fish. Dams prevent stirring up of sedimentation.
Conclusion: Artificial flooding would recreate sandbars.

Now start to think of some unstated assumptions without looking at the answers:
1. artificial floods can stir up the sediments the same way natural floods do
2. sediments still exist in the bottom of the dam

Clearly E matches our assumption 2. Always important to think through some thoughtful assumptions first before looking at the answers.

OA is E.

Let me know if you need any further explanation.
Retired Thread Master
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 12:46
i chose C...curious to know why C is wrong?
Manager
Manager

Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 12:53
LifeChanger wrote:

Why do you think size of sandbars matter?
Retired Thread Master

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 06:45
bschool83 wrote:
LifeChanger wrote:

Argument says: sandbars, which form natural habitats for native fish

so,if the native fish were to have a natural habitat during artificial flooding, the situation would be better when sandbars formed are of the same size
Manager
Manager

Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 08:23
LifeChanger wrote:
bschool83 wrote:
LifeChanger wrote:

Argument says: sandbars, which form natural habitats for native fish

so,if the native fish were to have a natural habitat during artificial flooding, the situation would be better when sandbars formed are of the same size

This is a classic example of bringing external or extra information into the argument. Please refrain from doing so. If the argument does not mention the size of sandbars, then an assumption about the size of sandbars is out of scope. Work with only the given information.

Also if you think critically does same size mean identical? If two buildings are 100 ft tall, are they identical?

Hope this helps.
Retired Thread Master

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Dam [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 01:03
This is a classic example of bringing external or extra information into the argument. Please refrain from doing so. If the argument does not mention the size of sandbars, then an assumption about the size of sandbars is out of scope. Work with only the given information.

Also if you think critically does same size mean identical? If two buildings are 100 ft tall, are they identical?

Hope this helps.[/quote]
Valid point..Thanks for reminding it :)
Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 05:26
Quote:
Now start to think of some unstated assumptions without looking at the answers:
1. artificial floods can stir up the sediments the same way natural floods do
2. sediments still exist in the bottom of the dam

The answer choice E says
Quote:
The dam does not prevent the flow of sediments from upriver needed to replenish the sediments that inevitably wash downstream over time.

Sorry but I am unable to follow your second assumption.This means that the effect of dam that the author is stating is not actually there, which gives a fairly possible explaination of why the flooding would not help replenishing the sediments. But if you look at B
Quote:
Sorry but I am unable to follow your second assumption.

If you negate this then again the conclusion that the release of water will lead to formation of sand bars, will fall. Also it follows the first assumption that you (and I as well :lol: ) made

So do we have more than one answer choice here which can break the conclusion and hence is the right answer? Can this happen in real GMAT as well?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 29

CAT Tests
Re: The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 07:22
Option B.
If the flood is not natural,it wouldn't lead to proper sedimentation.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 01:05
Hi,

I would like to add my 2 cents here.
The main point in this CR argument is reading the question wisely.

What is the question actually asking.

Most of us would read ...OK prediction...find an ASSUMPTION question.But the question is really a tricky one. It consider the whole argument as a prediction and asks that IT RELIES ON WHAT???

Clearly if u guys understand the question the correct answer would come out as E. i.e. the dam doesnt PREVENT the flow of sediments from upstream to downstream...which is necessary for the habitat to flourish.

Just the water flowing down wouldnt help.

Hope it clarifies.

-h.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 08:19
I think the answer is 'E'. May be I am wrong, but 'B' seems to be a bit out of scope.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 01:50
I believe that it is a close finish between B & E. I would go with E.

B. The flood caused by releasing water from the dam would be like a natural flood in every major respect.
B could be correct but there is not definition of the term major aspect. One would have to assume that carrying the sediment would come under the 'every major respect' mentioned in option B.

E. The dam does not prevent the flow of sediments from upriver needed to replenish the sediments that inevitably wash downstream over time.
E, however, stays within the scope of the argument taking into account the premise that sediments are needed for these sand beds and that once water is released the flow of sediments will not be restricted by the dam.

An expert's opinion on this topic would be most helpful. Any experts feeling generous today? :-D
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 116

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 4

Re: The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 10:44
Hi - Not sure if I count as an expert, but this is my view:

The answer to this one is E.

Here is how I thought about it:

Pre dam the situation was: Flood occured & sediments built the sand banks

Post dam: Not happening.

By opening the dam: Floods occur.

So what are you missing? The sediments.

E gives you the sediments so solves the issue.

The issue with B is that it is too strong. It doesn't need to be like a natural flood in EVERY way - just that it gives the sediments. It could easily differ in a different manner (e.g. last a different length of time, happen at a different time of year) and the sand banks would still be OK.

Hope that helps

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Re: The construction of Glenn Canyon Dam on the Colorado river   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2014, 10:44