Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [127]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [50]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [13]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1129 [3]
Send PM
Re: The cost of a square slab is proportional to its thickness and also [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The cost of a square slab is proportional to its thickness and also proportional to the square of its length. What is the cost of a square slab that is 3 meters long and 0.1m thick.

(1) The cost of a square slab that is 2m long and 0.2 m thick is $160 more than the cost of a slab that is 2m long and 0.1 m thick
area1 = 2x2x0.2 = 0.4m^2; area2 = 2x2x0.1 = 0.2m^2
A1 - A2 = 0.2m^2 = $160; so you can calculate the area of 0.1m^2 and you know that the are of the salb in question is 3x3x.1 = 0.9m^2

(2) The cost of a square slab that is 3 m long and 0.1 m thick is 200 more than the cost of a square slab that is 2m long and 0.1 m thick
Follow same logic as S1.

Ans: D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Re: The cost of a square slab is proportional to its thickness and also [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Stmt1 - 2m long by 0.2m thick is $160 more than 2m long by 0.1m thick

Now since the cost is directly porportional to the thickness. Lets imagine the "2m long by 0.2m thick" slab as two "2m long by 0.1m thick" slabs

we have "2m long by 0.2m thick" = 160 + "2m long by 0.1m thick"

"2m long by 0.2m thick" can be written as "2m long by 0.1m thick" + "2m long by 0.1m thick"

therefore "2m long by 0.1m thick" + "2m long by 0.1m thick" = 160 + "2m long by 0.1m thick"

therefore "2m long by 0.1m thick" = $160 .... 1

We cant deduce from stmt 1 ... insuff

Stmt 2) 3m long by 0.1m thick is $200 more than 2m long by 0.1m thick

3m long by 0.1m thick = $200 + 2m long by 0.1m thick .... 2

stmt2 insuffecient

combing 1 and 2

we have 3m long by 0.1m thick = $200 + $160(from 1)

= $360 ...

therefore answer is C

Please confirm
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [7]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
One clue for my view: the cost can be proportional to both thickness and length but with different proportionality constants. I mean, to me: Cost=a*thickness+b*length^2 not Cost=a*(thickness+length^2)

Thank u.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [6]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think the cost function is the following:

\(C=k\times t\times l^2\)
t-thickness
l-length

then each statement alone is sufficient

stmt1
\(4\times 0.2\times k=4\times 0.1\times k +160\)
you can solve for k
sufficient

stmt2
is basically similar to stmt 1...
\(9\times 0.1\times k=4\times 0.1\times k +200\)
you cansolve for k
sufficient
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
LenaA wrote:
I think the cost function is the following:

\(C=k\times t\times l^2\)
t-thickness
l-length

then each statement alone is sufficient

stmt1
\(4\times 0.2\times k=4\times 0.1\times k +160\)
you can solve for k
sufficient

stmt2
is basically similar to stmt 1...
\(9\times 0.1\times k=4\times 0.1\times k +200\)
you cansolve for k
sufficient

In fact, that is the formula in order to be D the correct answer (as it is).
But my point is, that in a very strict point of view, the proportionality constant (what you mean k), can be different for t and l, that is: Cost=k1*t+k2*l^2. So you need both statements to solve for k1 and k2, and correct answer is C.

To sum up, correct answer is C. OA is D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [7]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
you are wrong.
i would suggest to research about the jointly proportional functions.
if z is proptional to x (when y is constant) and z is propotional to y (when x is constant), then z is propotional to the product xy and is of the form z=Kxy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
 Q51  V34
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 5 Years
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The key with such questions is to set up the formula based on the proportionality.

Cost = K*(L^2)*T
Where K is a constant
L is the length
T is the thickness
Solving we get D

Note is something is inversely proportional, divide instead of multiply. For example if the cost is inversely proportional to the square root of slab impurity then the above formula will become
Cost = K*(L^2)*T/sqrt(I)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
kiyo0610 wrote:
The cost of a square slab is proportional to its thickness and also proportional to the square of its length. What is the cost of a square slab that is 3 meters long and 0.1 meter thick?

(1)The cost of a square slab that is 2 meters long and 0.2 meter thick is $160 more than the cost of a square slab that is 2 meters long and 0.1 meter thick.
(2)The cost of a square slab that is 3 meters long and 0.1 meter thick is $200 more than the cost of a square slab that is 2 meters long and 0.1 meter thick.

Cost C
1) C proportional to Thickness t
2) C proportional to Length square l^2

C = K t l^2

We need to know constant K to find the answer.

Option 1: C1 and C2 difference is given for some thickness and length. We can find the constant
Option 2: Same as option1
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6041 [2]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Kudos