Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 36

the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 07:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (02:06) correct 16% (01:04) wrong based on 417 sessions
the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the cost of producing radios in country Y.Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added,it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y.

The statments above,if true,best support which of the following assertions?

A) Labor costs in country Q are 10 percent below those in Country Y.

B) Importing radios from country Q to country Y will eliminate 10 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Country Y.

C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y

D) The fee for transporting a radio from country Q to Country Y is more than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Q

E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufatcture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Manager
Manager

the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 08:14
the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the cost of producing radios in country Y.Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added,it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y.

B) Importing radios from country Q to country Y will eliminate 10 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Country Y.

C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y

D) The fee for transporting a radio from country Q to Country Y is more than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Q

E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufatcture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y.

Guyz i have quastions about the right answer so i will wait for the answers first. Than i will discuss why i am not satisfied by the answer explanation.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 6

Re: CR Question...........i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
fatihaysu wrote:

A) Labor costs in country Q are 10 percent below those in Country Y. --- Not sure, it could be possible that labour cost is around 20 % lower but the transporation cost is a bit higher but over all its still chaep to get the radios from the country Q.

B) Importing radios from country Q to country Y will eliminate 10 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Country Y.-- Not neccesary, it could be possible that radios getting manufactured in country Y is only say 2 % because radios have always been imported from country Q

C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y --- Correct, this is what the stem is also saying that over all cost is less, which means transporation cost + import cost is less than 10 %

D) The fee for transporting a radio from country Q to Country Y is more than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Q -- Incorrect, If it would have been more than the over all cost would not have been less than 10 % difference.

E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufatcture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y. -- Irrelevalent

Guyz i have quastions about the right answer so i will wait for the answers first. Than i will discuss why i am not satisfied by the answer explanation.

C is the answer
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: plz check it guyz i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 09:23
My guess is C, reasoning follows:
fatihaysu wrote:

A) Labor costs in country Q are 10 percent below those in Country Y. 'Labor' is a bit out of scope. What if the radios are made entirely by machines?

B) Importing radios from country Q to country Y will eliminate 10 percent of the manufacturing jobs in Country Y. This wildly assumes a direct relationship between the external markets and Country Y's manufacturing industry. It also implies that all manufacturing jobs in Country Y are related to radio.

C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y. This is true because it says: "Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added,it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y." If the tariff was 10 percent or more, then it would NOT be cheaper. But it is cheaper, so it must be less.

D) The fee for transporting a radio from country Q to Country Y is more than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Q. This follows similar logic as above... except the 10% here is less meaningful as a benchmark because Q+10% of Q is not the same as Y -10% of Y. Either way it falls through.

E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufatcture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y. Time = money, but there is nothing here to suggest the tradeoff is a perfect 1:1 ratio. :)

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 44

Re: plz check it guyz i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 10:08
even I'll go with C !

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Manager
Manager

Re: plz check it guyz i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 11:58
yes but guys c told about tariff,the thing confused my mind what about transportain fees. Tariff can be less than 10 pecent but there is no information about transportaion fees. Maybe with it it will more expensive then producing it in county Y.

that point makes me confused?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 8

Re: plz check it guyz i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
fatihaysu wrote:
yes but guys c told about tariff,the thing confused my mind what about transportain fees. Tariff can be less than 10 pecent but there is no information about transportaion fees. Maybe with it it will more expensive then producing it in county Y.

It's all about the wording of the question.

The part that says: "the statement above, if true" is key. You have to assume everything it says is true, meaning that it most definitely IS cheaper to import from Q than to produce in Y, even with tariff + transport. Essentially, we DO have information about the transport fees; we know that no matter what the tariff fee is, they're never going to make it more expensive than Y.

So let's say cost of Y = 100%

We know that Q = 90% (of Y)

We know that Q + tariff + transportation < 100%

Therefore 0% <= tariff < 10% AND 0% <= transportation < 10% ... we just don't know specifically.

Answer C basically says Tariff is less than 10% of Y. True!
Answer D says Transportation is > 10% of Q... which is hard to determine not necessarily true.

Does that help?

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 20

Re: plz check it guyz i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 12:43
fatihaysu wrote:

let me explain this through maths

cost in Q is 10% percent less than cost in Y [cost in Q = 0.9*cost in Y]
cost in Q + transport + tariff < cost in Y
transport + tariff < cost in Y - cost in Q

transport + tariff < 0.1 cost in Y [cost in Q = 0.9*cost in Y]

this must mean that C is correct
tariff < 10% of cost in Y

C it is

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Manager
Manager

Re: plz check it guyz i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 13:35
dimitri92 wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:

let me explain this through maths

cost in Q is 10% percent less than cost in Y [cost in Q = 0.9*cost in Y]
cost in Q + transport + tariff < cost in Y
transport + tariff < cost in Y - cost in Q

this must mean that C is correct
tariff < 10% of cost in Y

C it is

can you explain me what if transportain fee is way more then tariff. There is no information about transformation fee. Am i wrong?

Manager
Manager

Re: plz check it guyz i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 13:38
dalmba wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:

It's all about the wording of the question.

The part that says: "the statement above, if true" is key. You have to assume everything it says is true, meaning that it most definitely IS cheaper to import from Q than to produce in Y, even with tariff + transport. Essentially, we DO have information about the transport fees; we know that no matter what the tariff fee is, they're never going to make it more expensive than Y.

So let's say cost of Y = 100%

We know that Q = 90% (of Y)

We know that Q + tariff + transportation < 100%

Therefore 0% <= tariff < 10% AND 0% <= transportation < 10% ... we just don't know specifically.

Answer C basically says Tariff is less than 10% of Y. True!
Answer D says Transportation is > 10% of Q... which is hard to determine not necessarily true.

Does that help?

Definietly. I am sorry i didnt read yours first then i asked same quation to the other friend. Yeah you are right. Fee + tariff cant be expensive more then producing it in country Y. even we dont know how much fee is

Thanks guyzz...

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 288 [1] , given: 20

Re: plz check it guyz i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
fatihaysu wrote:

can you explain me what if transportain fee is way more then tariff. There is no information about transformation fee. Am i wrong?

even if the transport fee is way greater than tariff ... the sum of both has to be less than 10% of cost in Y ... and if this is the case the tariff MUST be less than 10%

you usually don't have enough time in gmat to do such problems mathematically ... it was just to explain you .... the quickest way to do the problem is to pick up premises and use them.

premise: cost in Q is 10% less than cost in Y
premise: even if we add transport and tariff, cost in Q is still less than cost in Y

if both premises are true ... transport + tariff just have a margin of 10% of cost in Y .. they cant be more than 10% of cost in Y otherwise radios will get more expensive to import

HTH

don't forget to press KUDOS if you like the explanation ;)

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [1] , given: 6

Re: CR Question...........i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
C should be the one.

cost of producing radio in country Y = $100
cost of producing radio in country Q (10% less) = $90

The argument says it is cheaper for Y to import radios from Q rather than producing them in-house...that means even when Y imports radios from Q it will cost less than $100.

option C says....The tariff on a radio imported from Q to Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in counrty Y.....which goes well with the argument.
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: CR Question...........i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 14:48
I agree with the above explanation. C is the one.
what is OA?
Manager
Manager

Re: CR Question...........i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 15:03
Right Answer is C guyzz

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: CR Question...........i think there is some problem [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 09:10
fatihaysu wrote:

1. Cost of manufacturing in Country Q is 10% less than that in country Y
2. Even after import from country Q to country Y, the manufacturing price is still less than that in county Y.
It means that import duties are less than 10% of the cost of manufacturing.
Hence answer should be (C)

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 4

Re: the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
Question Stem

The statements above,if true,best support which of the following assertions?

Inference Question. So Answer MUST BE TRUE.

Argument

The cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less than the cost of producing radios in country Y. Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added, it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y.

Pre-thinking
Transportation Fees and Tariff charges are less than 10 percent of he cost of producing radios in Country Y.

Answer Choices

INCORRECT ANSWER - The argument says that cost of producing radios in Country Q is 10 percent less. We have no information of what consists of this cost. Labor costs may be one of the components. So this option may not be true.

INCORRECT ANSWER - Elimination of jobs is Outside the Scope of the argument. This argument only focuses on the cost of production

C) The tariff on a radio imported from country Q to country Y is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Y
CORRECT ANSWER - Refer to this second sentence - "Even after transportation fees and tariff charges are added,it is still cheaper for a company to import radios from country Q to Country Y than to produce radios in Country Y". So if the Q is 10 percent cheaper and some additional charges are required and still Q is cheaper than Y, means that tariff (and transportation fees, individually or together) is less than 10 percent of the cost of manufacturing the radio in country Y

INCORRECT ANSWER - This cannot be true. It is opposite of what can be inferred from the argument.

E) It takes 10 percent less time to manufacture a radio in country Q than it does in Country Y.
INCORRECT ANSWER - Time to manufacture is outside the scope of the argument.

Regards,
gmatsuperstar

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 39

Re: the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
Though many expert advise us not to prethink an inference before going to answer choices, other expert advise us to do so.
I myself see that prethinking an inference before going to answer choices is effective not only for quantitative based inference questions but also for other kinds of inference questions because prethinking helps us better understand and absorb the argument, analysing answer choices better. non natives normally can not absorb well what they read and this is the reason why prethink help us tremendously. And, I think that prethinking is the only method to test that we understand the argument well. Of course, we will not prethink an inference exhaustively. In many questions, we just try to prethink. But just doing so helps us a lot.

in some cases, prethinking an inference bring us the inference which is exactly the correct answer. great in this case.

I want the experts to discuss more on this point. Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 06:04
C it is..:)
Re: the cost of producing radios in country Q is 10 percent less   [#permalink] 24 May 2013, 06:04