Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1943
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 02:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

42% (01:44) correct 57% (00:46) wrong based on 135 sessions
68. The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years as a result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands.

A. years as a result of the removal of
B. years as a result of removing
C. years, resulting from the removing of
D. years, which is result of removing
E. years, which is a result of the removal of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 30 Jul 2013, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 03:21
A would do fine in this case....i think this question is more about the meaning than about any grammar rule...please confirm...

cheers!
bepositive
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 03:22
Looks B to me.
makes 'removing' parallel to clearing.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 216
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 07:54
A would be my choice as well. And I agree with what bepositive had to say.
Current Student
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3411
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 09:48
nothing wrong with A..


with the removal of... with the clearing.. is || and clear
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 21:34
Analysis for option C:

years, resulting from the removing of-----ok---look at this---resulting from the removing of----just speak this two three times in your mind and you will find it is highly awkward....i mean "from the removing of"

Dude as i said before this question is more of understanding of language than any grammar rule....you have to develop the knack of understanding such things which can be developed by reading lot of english stuff may be online like mckinsey reports NY times....i hope it helps...please do revert in case you need more light on this one...i would be more than glad to assist....

Good Luck!
cheers!
bepositive
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 21:44
please confirm the OA...thanks!

bepositive
SVP
SVP
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1943
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 01:42
OA is A

I prefer C to A only because "the removing of....and the clearing of...". I am a VICTIM of parallelism! :maniac
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 05:43
Dude, dont overdo with parallelism...i mean use wherever it is required...i was in your situation but with practice i learnt this technique....

cheers!
bepositive
VP
VP
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1469
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 08:22
sondenso wrote:
68. The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years as a result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands.

A. years as a result of the removal of
B. years as a result of removing
C. years, resulting from the removing of
D. years, which is result of removing
E. years, which is a result of the removal of


Yea, this is A for me too.
Sondenso, you really got to be careful about this type of parallelism.

While "clearing" can be a verb or a noun, "removing" can only be a verb.
"the clearing" indicates that "clearing" is acting as a noun. You need the noun form - removal - to make the sentence parallel.

GMAT likes to hallucinate you in parallelism...try this problem from the OG:

The decision by one of the nation's largest banks to admit to 3 billion dollars in potential losses on foreign loans could mean less lending by commercial banks to developing countries and increasing the pressure on multi government lenders to supply the funds.
A. increasing the pressure
B. the increasing pressure
C. increased pressure
D. the pressure increased
E. the pressure increasing
Current Student
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3411
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 08:44
bkk145 wrote:
sondenso wrote:



The decision by one of the nation's largest banks to admit to 3 billion dollars in potential losses on foreign loans could mean less lending by commercial banks to developing countries and increasing the pressure on multi government lenders to supply the funds.
A. increasing the pressure
B. the increasing pressure
C. increased pressure
D. the pressure increased
E. the pressure increasing


well this is also a ||ism question???..here LESS is parallel with increased

C would be correct in this case..
SVP
SVP
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1943
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC.GmatPrep. Orange County [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 17:49
bkk145 wrote:
sondenso wrote:
68. The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years as a result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands.

A. years as a result of the removal of
B. years as a result of removing
C. years, resulting from the removing of
D. years, which is result of removing
E. years, which is a result of the removal of


Yea, this is A for me too.
Sondenso, you really got to be careful about this type of parallelism.

While "clearing" can be a verb or a noun, "removing" can only be a verb.
"the clearing" indicates that "clearing" is acting as a noun. You need the noun form - removal - to make the sentence parallel.

GMAT likes to hallucinate you in parallelism...try this problem from the OG:

The decision by one of the nation's largest banks to admit to 3 billion dollars in potential losses on foreign loans could mean less lending by commercial banks to developing countries and increasing the pressure on multi government lenders to supply the funds.
A. increasing the pressure
B. the increasing pressure
C. increased pressure
D. the pressure increased
E. the pressure increasing


Thanks bkk, bepositive, fretinha12! Confusal is nature of Gmat! :lol:
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 00:23
Options D and E are eliminated because of which.
Which is used to modify a noun. It modifies years.
So they are incorrect.
In Option c, Resulting a participle (a verbal that function as a adjective). It should modify a noun. It modifies Years.
Between option A and B. A is chosen because of parallelism
Director
Director
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 936
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 543

Re: The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 01:26
D and E are str8 out... Can someone explain A,B and C

I picked A but want to know why the other options are incorrect. Thanks!
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 1000 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 03:07
fozzzy wrote:
D and E are str8 out... Can someone explain A,B and C

I picked A but want to know why the other options are incorrect. Thanks!


The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years as a result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands.

A. years as a result of the removal of
B. years as a result of removing
C. years, resulting from the removing of

First I would talk about C. You can eliminate it because the ING verb after the comma must make sense with the subject of the preceding clause.
"The cottontail rabbit population" "resulting from the removing" does not make sense. So C is out.

Between A and B, A is better simply because is parallel to the next part:
"years as a result of the removal of" and "clearing of".
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Status: Persevering
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 220
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 09:19
A because of parallelism b/w removal and the clearing here the clearing is a complex gerund and removal an action noun.

-- In general only a action noun or a complex gerund can be parallel to an action noun.
_________________

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 150
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 41

Re: The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 21:10
Zarrolou wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
D and E are str8 out... Can someone explain A,B and C

I picked A but want to know why the other options are incorrect. Thanks!


The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years as a result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands.

A. years as a result of the removal of
B. years as a result of removing
C. years, resulting from the removing of

First I would talk about C. You can eliminate it because the ING verb after the comma must make sense with the subject of the preceding clause.
"The cottontail rabbit population" "resulting from the removing" does not make sense. So C is out.

Between A and B, A is better simply because is parallel to the next part:
"years as a result of the removal of" and "clearing of".


In C,

Verb-ing can also refer to the entire clause, stating additional info about the rabbit population increase, i.e how rabbit population was increased, by the removing and clearing...


Thanks,
Jai
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 18
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 12:17
When I read the full sentence through I felt it simply MUST have a comma in the answer. It just seemed like a run-on sentence that was awkward. Did any other native speakers 'hear' this? How it is others were able to quickly rule out answers C, D, E?
Re: The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County,   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2013, 12:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, buckkitty 7 19 Feb 2007, 14:02
New posts The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, briks123 3 23 Jul 2007, 14:42
New posts The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, tarek99 1 13 Jul 2008, 13:41
New posts 1 The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, gurpreet07 5 06 Oct 2009, 01:41
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 2 The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, sdas 10 19 Mar 2013, 13:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.