Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 03:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (01:51) correct 48% (00:26) wrong based on 85 sessions
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year
B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year

My doubt :- How can the option without "that" be correct ?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA : C
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 18 Jul 2013, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, renamed the topic.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1136 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 03:52
gmat2805 wrote:

The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year
B and E suggests that the secretary said 1)that spending could reach 40B 2)that is compared to 20B (said these two different things, so they are not "compared" to each other).

D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year

You can use "say something" without using "that". Example: "the Act says such behavior is an offense" or "I don’t want to say too much" http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/say

Similar Official Question: scientists-say-that-each-of-the-photographs-taken-of-the-64210.html

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 33

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 04:46
Zarrolou, any idea when that must follow says/said. I struck off options c,d,e simply because of the missing 'that'!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 27

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:39
gmat2805 wrote:

A is wrong because it's not using spending as a noun. It's describing the action of spending which is wrong.
B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year same reason as in A
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year correct
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year "reached in last year" is wrong
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year incorrect

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Please give me KUDOS if my post has helped you :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:49
Eliminate A, because in last year is not idiomatic. Last year suffices.
Eliminate B, because the second "that" is ambiguous. Besides, seldom do we use the full version of "subject be compared with/to". I think we often use the shorter version of "compared with/to".

So the right option definitely won't contain a "that" as its beginning.

Although GMAT always puts "that" after a verb to introduce an objective clause, there may be one or two times when GMAT choose to omit "that" after the verb "say".

Hopes this helps.

gmat2805 wrote:

C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 10:29
dhler-
you said GMAT often do not use That to compare but you also said answer is definitly without that...

So i do not follow you what you saying...
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1188 [2] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dhler wrote:
So the right option definitely won't contain a "that" as its beginning.

Although GMAT always puts "that" after a verb to introduce an objective clause, there may be one or two times when GMAT choose to omit "that" after the verb "say".

Hopes this helps.

Hi dhler.

Your answer is correct. This question does not require "that". However, I want to elaborate a bit. (It may help those who are still wondering about "that")

(1) "Say + That" vs "Say + That"

* Optional That
The word that is usually optional when it comes after the following verbs: verb, tell, think, believe

Let see examples:
Erica said that she was coming over after work
--OR--
Erica said she was coming over after work
Both are correct. However, the latter is better because it's more concise.

*Obligatory That
The word that is usually obligatory after the following verbs when introducing another clause: mention, declare, report, state (the most common verb we see on GMAT is "report")

(2) Concision in GMAT

If two sentences are correct in terms of grammars, meaning, GMAT chooses the shorter one.
Back to this question. If A were correct, GMAT would have chosen C (say + that) because C is more concise.

Hope it helps.

Source: Gmat Club Ultimate Grammar

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2013, 11:31