Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:00

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 118

The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:54) correct 39% (00:57) wrong based on 70 sessions
The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to adjacent cells, can provoke dangerous inflammation; the resultant autoimmune disease, characterized by cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are known as "rheumatoid arthritis."

A) cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are
B) cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is
C) cartilage and bone that become damaged although the immune system does not actually attack them, are
D) damaged cartilage and bone although the immune system does not actually attack them, are
E) damaged cartilage and bone although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is

Why not E?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by nikhilsrl on 06 Mar 2011, 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [4] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: parellelism [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
How come this is a //ism issue? This is an issue of S-V agreement and altered intent. The subject is the singular 'disease' and the verb should be ‘is’. B and E are the choices.

E rather distorts the meaning. As per the text the disease is characterized by both cartilage and bone that become damaged; E means to say the disease is characterized by damaged cartilage and bone (alone), leaving bone from the ambit of the damage.

B is the one.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 252 [1] , given: 32

Re: parellelism [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
Right E distorts the meaning. Because of saying characterised by damaged.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 70

Re: parellelism [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 18:24
I cannot understand very well why E distorts the meaning. If someone can try to explain again, I'll be thankful.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 24 [4] , given: 118

Re: parellelism [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Daagh,

Sorry about the title - I understood the S-V part but could not decide on the altered intent and hence posted it here. Phrase "altered intent" did not come to my mind and so ended up with "parellelism" :wink: .

Hello Miguelmick,

Let me try to add to what Daagh has already explained:

As per E - damaged cartilage and bone although they are not actually attacked by the immune system
Here "damaged" appearing just before cartilage, seems to modify "cartilage" alone and not "cartilage and bone" as was intended in the original statement in the question.

As per D - cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is
Here "that become damaged" clearly modifies "cartilage and bone". Even though "that become damaged" is next to "bone" the use of "become", a plural verb instead of "becomes" points to "cartilage and bone" instead of just "bone".

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Altered Intent [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 07:17
nikhilsrl - please could you underline the part of the sentence which is in question.

B it is...S-V issue
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 70

Re: parellelism [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 12:18
Perfect. Thanks a lot for that, Kudos to you.

nikhilsrl wrote:
Hello Daagh,

Sorry about the title - I understood the S-V part but could not decide on the altered intent and hence posted it here. Phrase "altered intent" did not come to my mind and so ended up with "parellelism" :wink: .

Hello Miguelmick,

Let me try to add to what Daagh has already explained:

As per E - damaged cartilage and bone although they are not actually attacked by the immune system
Here "damaged" appearing just before cartilage, seems to modify "cartilage" alone and not "cartilage and bone" as was intended in the original statement in the question.

As per D - cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is
Here "that become damaged" clearly modifies "cartilage and bone". Even though "that become damaged" is next to "bone" the use of "become", a plural verb instead of "becomes" points to "cartilage and bone" instead of just "bone".

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: Altered Intent [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 02:29
IMO E. B is trying to the disease is characterized by cartilage. The "and bone" part seems to say that only bones are damaged.

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: Altered Intent [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 23:04
IMO B --> "Meaning is distorted in E"

P.s : Nikhil ,Please underline the sentence in the question.

The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to adjacent cells, can provoke dangerous inflammation; the resultant autoimmune disease, characterized by cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are known as "rheumatoid arthritis."

A) cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, are
B) cartilage and bone that become damaged although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is
C) cartilage and bone that become damaged although the immune system does not actually attack them, are
D) damaged cartilage and bone although the immune system does not actually attack them, are
E) damaged cartilage and bone although they are not actually attacked by the immune system, is

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: Altered Intent [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 09:24
Interesting question. Lets take an example:

Good people often suffer because they are not able to be tough even when the situation demands.

What does they refer to in the above sentence? It does not refer to people but to good people. In other words, a pronoun not only refers to the noun (people) but also to the adjacent adjective (good).

Coming back to this question, in E, they would refer to damaged cartilage and bone. But this does not make logical sense, since the intent of the question is to say that autoimmune disease is characterized by:

1. cartilage and bone becoming damaged, though
2. cartilage and bone are not actually attacked by the immune system

In short, damaged cartilage and bone not being attacked by the immune system, as depicted in E does not make sense.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 15:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The cytokines of the immune system, acting as signalers to   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2013, 15:01