Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The daily journey from his home to his office takes John

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The daily journey from his home to his office takes John [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2003, 18:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:39) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The daily journey from his home to his office takes John Bond on average an hour and 35 minutes by car. A friend has told him of a different route that is longer in mileage, but will only take an hour and a quarter on average, because it contains stretches of road where it is possible to drive at higher speeds.
John Bond's only consideration apart from the time factor is the cost, and he calculates that his car will consume 10% less gasoline if he takes the suggested new route. John decides to take the new route for the next two weeks as an experiment.

If the above were the only other considerations, which one of the following may have an effect on the decision John has made?

A) Major road work is begun on the shorter (in distance) route, which holds up traffic for an extra 10 minutes. The project will take six months, but after it, the improvements will allow the journey to be made in half an hour less than at present.
B) There is to be a strike at local gas stations and the amount of gasoline drivers may purchase may be rationed.
C) John finds a third route which is slightly longer than his old route, but shorter than the suggested route.
D) The old route passes the door of a work colleague, who without a ride, would have to go to work by bus.
E) None of the above.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 07:25
if we assume that john has given equal weightage to two of his considerations, then B might come in strong to change his mind.

if this assumption fails, I will go with E

A..who cares what's gonna happen after 6 mnths?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 10:50
E

Can't be B. The new route consumes 10% less gasoline, why would John change his decision ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 12:05
This one is very challenging, any other takers before I divulge the official answer?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 06:53
I will go with C.
A, B and E are ruled out. D is emotional stuff. D would be my next choice
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 08:04
These Qs r frsutrating. I can prove that even D is correct . These definitely dont prove that person who chooses right answer has better reasoning skills.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 08:39
A and B both argue against the old route, but why wouldn't they "have an effect on the decision John has made"?

They might reinforce or make him feel better about his decision.

This question is absurd. Is this another LSAT question?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 11:23
Explanation: John's decision is to experiment with the new longer (in mileage) route for two weeks, and it is this decision that we have to consider. Choice (C), by offering a third alternative, gives John another possibility and, therefore, is the appropriate answer. Alternatives (A), (B), and (D) alter factors within the calculation affecting the decision, but taken individually and not making any other changes, will definitely not result in a different decision being made. These three are, therefore, not appropriate answers. The existence of a definite answer - in this case, (C) - means that alternative (E) is not appropriate.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 12:06
Paul--

Your rationale is, indubitably, correct.

But I wish the asshats who wrote the question would have asked "If the above were the only other considerations, which one of the following may prompt/entice/encourage/motivate John to change his decision?"
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 15:19
stoolfi wrote:
Paul--

Your rationale is, indubitably, correct.

But I wish the asshats who wrote the question would have asked "If the above were the only other considerations, which one of the following may prompt/entice/encourage/motivate John to change his decision?"

Why is your wording of the question such a an vast improvement over that which is given (other than being more wordy)? Afterall, if any of the choice was NOT enough to "prompt/entice/encourage/motivate John to change his decision" then it consequently did not "have an effect" on his decision.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 17:19
Why is your wording of the question such a an vast improvement over that which is given (other than being more wordy)?

One definition of "effect" is:

"Something that produces a specific impression or supports a general design or intention."

By this definition, A and B are correct, because by reinforcing his choice, they "support" his "intention".

So "effect", as it is used in the question, is imprecise and ambiguous.

And I should have been more clear with the slashes-- I was trying to convey that any of the words in my slashful amalgam would be improvements over the word chosen by the writer of the question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Route choices [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2004, 01:29
Paul wrote:
The daily journey from his home to his office takes John Bond on average an hour and 35 minutes by car. A friend has told him of a different route that is longer in mileage, but will only take an hour and a quarter on average, because it contains stretches of road where it is possible to drive at higher speeds.
John Bond's only consideration apart from the time factor is the cost, and he calculates that his car will consume 10% less gasoline if he takes the suggested new route. John decides to take the new route for the next two weeks as an experiment.
If the above were the only other considerations, which one of the following may have an effect on the decision John has made?
A) Major road work is begun on the shorter (in distance) route, which holds up traffic for an extra 10 minutes. The project will take six months, but after it, the improvements will allow the journey to be made in half an hour less than at present.
B) There is to be a strike at local gas stations and the amount of gasoline drivers may purchase may be rationed.
C) John finds a third route which is slightly longer than his old route, but shorter than the suggested route.
D) The old route passes the door of a work colleague, who without a ride, would have to go to work by bus.
E) None of the above.

i with pleasure would argue with this question's authors or the ones who do not agree with e. let's clarify.
john agrees to change the route due to two factors:
1. there are stretches on new road which allow to drive faster, thus making the trip shorter.
2. fuel consumption (john calculated it, pay attention!) is less than on old route.

now, let's take choice c and break it into million useless pieces.
1. do we know for sure that third road is as good as second one? or may be i missed something in explanation, regarding the third road?
2. do they say that john made a long calculations on fuel consumption, when he trips on third road?
hello, the creater of this question, where are you??!! :?:
Re: CR: Route choices   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2004, 01:29