Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 03:45
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

37% (01:58) correct 63% (01:15) wrong based on 182 sessions
The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% more than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and nearly 3 times as much as the Basic Block line's sales.
A. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and nearly 3 times as much as the Basic Block line's sales
B. the Teeny Tiny Trucks did and nearly 3 times what the Basic Blocks' sales were
C. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line sold and nearly 3 times as much as Basic Blocks' sales
D. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks' sales
E. the Teeny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks line

Now, my first instinct was to pick E - which is also the OA. But then I thought, hey what's being compared in E? sales of the Dancing Doll line are being compared with the Teeny Trucks line and Basic Blocks line. Shouldn't the comparison be between their sales? So that made me eliminate both D and E and I picked A, which was of course, the wrong answer.

Can someone please explain to me why E is correct and why it is ok to exclude the verbs for sale later in the sentence?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: The Dancing Doll line [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 04:26
english_august wrote:
The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% more than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and nearly 3 times as much as the Basic Block line's sales.
A. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and nearly 3 times as much as the Basic Block line's sales
B. the Teeny Tiny Trucks did and nearly 3 times what the Basic Blocks' sales were
C. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line sold and nearly 3 times as much as Basic Blocks' sales
D. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks' sales

Now, my first instinct was to pick E - which is also the OA. But then I thought, hey what's being compared in E? sales of the Dancing Doll line are being compared with the Teeny Trucks line and Basic Blocks line. Shouldn't the comparison be between their sales? So that made me eliminate both D and E and I picked A, which was of course, the wrong answer.

Can someone please explain to me why E is correct and why it is ok to exclude the verbs for sale later in the sentence?

I would have taken E only because of parallelism of "more than" but your suspicion to compare "Apples with Oranges" is valid and unfortunately I don't see any explaination for the same.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 04:48
Hi guys, i must disagree with you.

E is very parallel and it does refer to sales. See if this makes sense :

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than the Teeny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks line

Tio me it seems parallel, and the best choice. I also looked at A, but E is shorter and more concise, and that is exactly what GMAt wants.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 04:52
michaelny2001 wrote:
Hi guys, i must disagree with you.

E is very parallel and it does refer to sales. See if this makes sense :

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than the Teeny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks line

Tio me it seems parallel, and the best choice. I also looked at A, but E is shorter and more concise, and that is exactly what GMAt wants.

That's right, therefore I chose E because of parallelism but still one question is open: Are we comparing sales or product lines?

E seems to compare product lines not sales.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 09:04
To me E is wrong. Here we are comparing what Dancing line sold to what other sold. So in E its comapring what Dancing Line sold to the Teeny Trucks line and is wrong. "More than" is a parallel marker and therefore the sentence before and after should be in same format. So lets dissect the sentence.

The Dancing Line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys.

This is 40% more than what the Teeny Tiny Trucks line sold. However in E it says This is 40% more than the Teeny Trucks line, and so wrong. So does choice D.

In choice A and C also comparing Dancing Line sold (verb) to the Basic Blocks sales (noun). Also, I think (though not sure) nearly and as much as is redundant. What you guys think?

So my answer is B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

SC - Dancing Doll [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 08:43
This question has already been discussed on this forum once. However, I didn't find a convincing explanation in that thread.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Dancing Doll [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 08:55
Answer option E is the most precise and removes the redundant word/expression "sales".
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 25

Re: SC - Dancing Doll [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 09:32
E for ||ism. However, I do feel it slightly changed the meaning of the sentence, but I do not see any better answers.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Dancing Doll [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 09:54
billyjeans wrote:
E for ||ism. However, I do feel it slightly changed the meaning of the sentence, but I do not see any better answers.

How is E || ?

which one of the following would u choose as correct ?

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% more than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did.

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% more than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 25

Re: SC - Dancing Doll [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
namurad wrote:
billyjeans wrote:

How is E || ?

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% more than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did.

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% more than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line.

Namurad, first of all you can not use "did" || with "sales", make sense? One is a verb and the other is a noun. ABCD are not ||.
And to answer your second question, I think the second one is right.

Consider the following:

She sold more candies than I did.
She sold slightly more than 40 candies, 40% more than me.

Her candy sale is more than me, but she is not more than I did.
The E is the only one ||.
Hopefully this clears it.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Dancing Doll [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 12:42
billyjeans wrote:
namurad wrote:
billyjeans wrote:

How is E || ?

Namurad, first of all you can not use "did" || with "sales", make sense? One is a verb and the other is a noun. ABCD are not ||.
And to answer your second question, I think the second one is right.

Consider the following:

She sold more candies than I did.
She sold slightly more than 40 candies, 40% more than me.

Her candy sale is more than me, but she is not more than I did.
The E is the only one ||.
Hopefully this clears it.

Thanks billyjeans. I am still confused :? I am comparing the verb "sold" (not the noun "sales") with the verb "did".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Dancing Doll [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 13:43
A, B and C are out for using "much" . Between D and E would go for E for //ism
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Tough One!! Dancing Dolls [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 01:10
The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% mroe than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and newarly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line's sales.

A. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and newarly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line's sales
C. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line sold and nearly 3 times as much as Basic Blocks' sales.
D. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than Basic Blocks' sales
E. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks line

OA after some discussion. Please put reasoning along with your answers.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: Tough One!! Dancing Dolls [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 01:24
IMO A

We are discussing about (Y) line's sales. Only A has it for all 3 lines.

D and E need verb 'did'.

C should be Basic Block Line's sales

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 1

Re: Tough One!! Dancing Dolls [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 03:16
a
verb did is reqd and the is reqd for llism
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 18

Re: Tough One!! Dancing Dolls [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 04:30
A.
Between A and C, A is more parallel and the 'did' is preferred over repeating 'sold'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 13

Re: Tough One!! Dancing Dolls [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 04:52
We need to maintain the comparison and parallelism of the sentence. Option A and E compares doll line to other two toy lines, but only option A maintains the parallelism as well.

Answer is A.
Manager
Manager

Re: Tough One!! Dancing Dolls [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 07:40
A is not the OA. Any more thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 13

Re: Tough One!! Dancing Dolls [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 07:46
Well in that case only E seems correct. :?
Manager
Manager

Re: Tough One!! Dancing Dolls [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 07:58
Yes. It is E. Can you guys think of any good reason for E to be correct?
I was totally confused by the reason given by Kaplan.
Re: Tough One!! Dancing Dolls   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2009, 07:58