Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The data being collected in the current geological survey

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
17 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [17] , given: 30

The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 01:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

16% (02:21) correct 84% (01:13) wrong based on 1110 sessions
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

A. The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

B. The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance

C. The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

D. The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance

E. The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance

If you like the question I won't mind any Kudos :thumbup:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Last edited by thelosthippie on 07 May 2013, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 67

Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 02:16
thelosthippie wrote:
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

A. The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

B. The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance

C. The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

D. The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance

E. The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance

A. being collected, data provides, theirgreatest importance
B. being collected, data provides,
C. theirgreatest importance
D. ok
E. in consideration for

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 10:49
thelosthippie wrote:

I'll post the OA tomorrow. 8-) If you like the question I won't mind any Kudos :thumbup:

Took 150 secs approx. i will try to explain. although I'am new to this.

The correct option depends greatly on "how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers". Here IMO "they" refers to the data that will influence the engineer's decision. So "the data" is considered in plural form.

so i can directly strike out

left with options A and E

now let us look at the tense of the correct portion of the sentence - "they influence the upcoming decision". this is in simple present. "they" refers to the data which "influence the upcoming decision." so in the 1st portion of the sentence also, the tense should be simple present.

So

IMO correct answer is E.

Hippie: (tomorrow) please tell me how badly have I understood this if i'm utterly wrong.

P.S. - thoroughly tough
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [4] , given: 122

Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
First of all, "Data" can be used as either plural or singular. But the usage data as plural is more common.

Second. Because of "they", we should consider data plural noun.

>>> Wrong. "they" and "their" are not clear.

>>> Wrong.

>>> Wrong.

>>> Wrong.

>>> Correct.

Waiting for the OA.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 18:46
Marked D first, but E is the correct answer!

>>> Correct.

Totally skipped to see the complete sentence and had marked D in the begining.

Two learnings:

1) Data can be used both as singular and Plural
2) Read the complete sentence!

One Last Shot

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [3] , given: 30

Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
Solution: A

Everyone got the 'data' part so the choice was between A and E.

In (E) “in consideration for” is improper diction and the meaning is unclear in the second portion – without the possessive “their” it is unclear what “the greatest importance” is referring to thus (E) is incorrect. Only (A) – even though it may sound strange to your ear – properly matches the plural data with a plural verb and plural verbs. Answer choice (A) is correct.

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [3] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The OA is disputable; let’s see why, because A GMAT question is just not one aspect; it is multi-dimensional.

A. The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance ----- ‘they consider’ who consider? Data or Engineers? Not definitely data because data do not consider; only people do it. But the second pronoun ‘does’ not refer to engineers. But date for sure. This kind dual reference is not acceptable. I am not even disputing whether data is singular or plural; Data can very well be singular in the context, since it is the totality of the data as collective unit that is being considered here.

B. The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance –discordant as far as the number agreement of the data is considered. First, date seems to imply that it is plural because they provide but the pronoun ‘its’ seems to suggest singularity. Is this permissible?.

C. The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance -- discordant as far as the number agreement of the data is considered. First, date seems to imply that it is singular because it is providing but the pronoun ‘their’ seems to suggest plurality. Is this permissible? It is obvious that their greatest importance does not refer to the Engineers’ importance

D. The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance – This is the only choice, where pronouns fit in smugly without room any ambiguity; But there is a sly pit fall here. In consideration my also mean - at a price of- or -in return for-. Like we say the hijackers agreed to release the hostages in consideration of a ransom $10 m. This is what I thing thelosthippie pointed out I suppose.
E. The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance – ----the greatest importance is too general to specify a purpose, in addition the tricky issue of the ‘in consideration of ,

I would go with D as the least objectionable choice.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 401

Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 02:16
thelosthippie wrote:
Solution: A

Everyone got the 'data' part so the choice was between A and E.

In (E) “in consideration for” is improper diction and the meaning is unclear in the second portion – without the possessive “their” it is unclear what “the greatest importance” is referring to thus (E) is incorrect. Only (A) – even though it may sound strange to your ear – properly matches the plural data with a plural verb and plural verbs. Answer choice (A) is correct.

So data IS or data ARE or the both?

I am quite confused here... I norrow is down to A & B, but i chose B because ITS seems logical to me...

Thx you!

Think outside the box

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 05:19
I faced this question in the recent mock of VeritasPrep.

And not I am convinced that the OA is debatable due to pronoun ambiguity the OA offers.

The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

Per the meaning the 'THEIR' should refer the 'DATA'and 'THEY' should refer the 'engineers'. But since we know the rule of PRONOUN REPEATS both should refer to single noun, this answer choice is not worthy.

Experts plz pour in

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 40

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 06:48
Quote:
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

Per the meaning the 'THEIR' should refer the 'DATA'and 'THEY' should refer the 'engineers'. But since we know the rule of PRONOUN REPEATS both should refer to single noun, this answer choice is not worthy.

pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule .the things that we need to think about pronoun are :
1 ) does pronoun had an antecedent
2) do they match in plurality or singularity

also "being" does not make any answer choice wrong
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 09:01
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule .the things that we need to think about pronoun are :
1 ) does pronoun had an antecedent
2) do they match in plurality or singularity

also "being" does not make any answer choice wrong

Hi,

I totally disagree with you in terms of what you said for pronoun ambiguity since the above sentence won't convey the intended meaning as per choice (A).

It is not an absolute rule. However, this question is testing only this aspect.

OG says this rule is not to look after since the question has other violations of grammar, but when the question is testing only this aspect then it has to be considered.

Furthermore, this question has been rejected as debatable OA in many forums.

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
12 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [12] , given: 165

Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 19:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
thelosthippie wrote:

If you like the question I won't mind any Kudos :thumbup:

Responding to a pm:

A few things to note:

Technically, data is plural of datum. In academic writing it is almost always treated as plural. It is treated as singular in informal writing but GMAT favors treating it as plural. I do not have my OG12 at hand right now but if you look for references of data, it is used as plural.

Even if you do not know this, the use of "theyinfluence the upcoming" should tell you that data is used in plural form here.

There are many pronouns used here. Antecedent of each pronoun is present in the sentence. The usage clarifies which pronoun refers to data and which refers to engineers.

they - only engineers can consider
their, they - greatest importance will be of data, data will influence the decision

There is no ambiguity in the use of pronouns. The nouns are present and the usage clarifies the antecedent.

B and D use 'its' for data so they are incorrect.

C uses "is providing" for data so it is incorrect.

In option (E), "in consideration for the new dam project" is bad diction.

Answer is (A)

Here is a note on the use of being in this sentence by Brian:

Don't get me wrong - if you eliminate "being" every time you'll be right on well over 90% of SC questions when you do so. But I know there are questions out there where it's used correctly, and they're bound to be among the more difficult since most students know the "being is wrong!" principle. So having that extra moment of caution when, like in this case, you don't like the other answer choices...that's a nice competitive advantage.

"Being" is properly used to express a temporary state. It's often used hideously on the GMAT as a modifier for something that isn't at all temporary:

Being the first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong...

"Being" is wrong there - he wasn't "being" the first man on the moon...that's just who he is.

But you could correctly say:

While being driven to the shuttle launch, Neil Armstrong remarked to his chauffeur that...

Because "being driven" is a temporary state.

So in this question, which clearly denotes the "current geological survey", "being collected" is a temporary state. The data won't always be collected, but currently for a temporary period of time the data are being collected, so "being" is used properly here.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2014, 19:29