Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The decline and fall of the Roman Empire remains a topic of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 4

The decline and fall of the Roman Empire remains a topic of [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 19:32
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (01:40) correct 34% (00:48) wrong based on 193 sessions
The decline and fall of the Roman Empire remains a topic of vigorous debate to this day; historians have attributed it to a variety of causes, including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and widespread immorality.

A. have attributed it to a variety of causes, including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and
B. attribute it variously to causes that include military insurrection, ethnic conflict, or
C. have variously attributed them to causes which include military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and
D. attribute them to various causes, including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, as well as
E. variously attribute them to causes including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 15

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
The decline and fall of the Roman Empire remains a topic of vigorous debate to this day; historians have attributed it to a variety of causes, including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and widespread immorality.

The decline and fall of the Roman empire is a noun phrase(one big noun). It is a singular subject. Hence, in the attributed X to...X should be singular since it refers to a singular subject. C,D,E out.
Between A and B, the variously in B changes the meaning of the sentence.
Hence, A is the correct answer.

Hope it helps.

A. have attributed it to a variety of causes, including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and
B. attribute it variously to causes that include military insurrection, ethnic conflict, or
C. have variously attributed them to causes which include military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and
D. attribute them to various causes, including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, as well as
E. variously attribute them to causes including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 06:23
singular plural thing nice question got it right...

just one more month for exam...

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 23:43
C, D n E WRONG PRONOUN
B MAIN VERB MISSING, AWKWARD FRAGMENT SENTENCE
so A is the winner.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 17:04
I agree that A is correct, but just had a question about D..Manhattan GMAT says use of "as well as" instead of "and" in such a sentence is incorrect:

" In addition, X, Y, as well as Z is not a valid way to write a list of three things; in such a list, "and" is required."

I wonder why? I thought "as well as" could replace "and" in such constructions..no?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 18:46
hurdle7 wrote:
I agree that A is correct, but just had a question about D..Manhattan GMAT says use of "as well as" instead of "and" in such a sentence is incorrect:

" In addition, X, Y, as well as Z is not a valid way to write a list of three things; in such a list, "and" is required."

I wonder why? I thought "as well as" could replace "and" in such constructions..no?

"as well as " essentially means "in addition/also". When you have list of two items "as well as" can be considered appropriate.

But when you have a list of three or more items, the presence of comma already signifies the multiplicity and hence we need an "and" rather than "as well as".

Crick
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 19:03
thanks for the prompt reply :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 19:14
This post received
KUDOS
them rules out C, D, and E.

Between A and B, I think there is a wrong tense usage. Attribute vs. Attributed. The correct tense is Attributed because we are using the perfect tense with the helping verb "have". Hence, answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: IIM Calcutta - Class of 2001
GMAT Date: 03-08-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 00:49
metallicafan wrote:
calreg11 wrote:

A. have attributed it to a variety of causes, including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and - Correct
B. attribute it variously to causes that include military insurrection, ethnic conflict, or - Present pefect is better because the sentence indicates that the debates began in the past and continues "to this day"./ "Variously" changes the meaning. / "or" changes the original meaning.
C. have variously attributed them to causes which include military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and - notice that "decline and fall" is considered singular in this sentence ("remainS"); "them" is wrong.
D. attribute them to various causes, including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, as well as - "them" is wrong.
E. variously attribute them to causes including military insurrection, ethnic conflict, and - "variously" changes the meaning. "them" is wrong.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Hope it helps.

I agree with all of the reasons stated above for choices B-E. Now, doesn't A suffer from a grammatical error too? -

What does the "it" refer to - the vigorous debate, the topic of vigorous debate or the decline and fall? In other circumstances I would probably have rejected option A on that ground. Any ideas?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 18:12
I chose A.

The "it" has a clear antecedent, which is the "decline and fall." It is a singular noun phrase.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 11:35
This was a good question. I failed to notice variously. I should not be practicing these questions at work. :twisted:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 18:47
A... proper use of the pronoun 'it'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 33

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 09:57
failed to realize that the decline and fall was a singular subject. nice question! keep it coming!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GMAT 1: Q33 V27
GPA: 2.92
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 61

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 10:51
What is the difference between variety and various?

How it is used?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 18

Re: Roman empire SC [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 23:38
calreg11 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

i pick A here. the Roman Empire is singular so pronoun referent must be singular, so C , D and E are out. in B, "attributed it variously to causes" seems awkward. please correct me if my thought process is wrong

regards

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Re: Roman empire SC   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2012, 23:38