Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The decline in national unemployment, as reported by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

The decline in national unemployment, as reported by the [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 13:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The decline in national unemployment, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, indicate that households should face less economic uncertainty next quarter, but that the significant differences in unemployment statistics among American states indicates not all regions will benefit equally.

(A) indicate that households should face less economic uncertainty next quarter, but that
(B) indicate that households is to face less economic uncertainty next quarter, but
(C) indicates that households will face less economic uncertainty next quarter, but that
(D) indicates that households is facing less economic uncertainty next quarter, but that
(E) indicates that households will face less economic uncertainty next quarter, but

I though the answer was C. But Kaplan bemused me with its OA, which I'll disclose soon.

Please explain your answer.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 13:57
My pick is E. I think that 'that' in the second part is not right
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 14:13
Sumithra wrote:

why not?

The phrase, "That the significant differences in unemployment statistics among American states" is perfectly okay. It is singular, and therefore, choice C is good.

See this way:
There are two independent ideas discussed here.
(1) The decline in national unemployment, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, indicates that households will face less economic uncertainty next quarter.
(2) That the significant differences in unemployment statistics among American states indicates not all regions will benefit equally.

The second idea is a contrast to the first one. Thus, you need "but" to join.

Secondly, if there is no "that" in the second idea, the sentence creates a subject-verb disagreement.

The significant differences in unemployment statistics among American states indicates not all regions will benefit equally.

It should be indicate.

Any thoughts?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 18:23
Pokhran II wrote:
Sumithra wrote:

why not?

The phrase, "That the significant differences in unemployment statistics among American states" is perfectly okay. It is singular, and therefore, choice C is good.

See this way:
(1) The decline in national unemployment, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, indicates that households will face less economic uncertainty next quarter.
(2) That the significant differences in unemployment statistics among American states indicates not all regions will benefit equally.

Secondly, if there is no "that" in the second idea, the sentence creates a subject-verb disagreement.

The significant differences in unemployment statistics among American states indicates not all regions will benefit equally.

It should be indicate.

Any thoughts?

Bureau of Labor Statistics indicated only one thing - households will face less economic uncertainty next quarter. The second clause connected by "but" is author's own comment.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 18:35
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Bureau of Labor Statistics indicated only one thing - households will face less economic uncertainty next quarter. The second clause connected by "but" is author's own comment.

That is what I thought. Therefore, C looks good to me. But the OA is E.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 18:44
Pokhran II wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:

That is what I thought. Therefore, C looks good to me. But the OA is E.

The second that is needed if Bureau of Labor Statistics has indicated two things. But that is not the case. So the second "that" is not required. So C is not correct.

I agree with you on S-V disagreement. When subject is "differences", the verb should have been "indicate". Putting the second that doesn't help in resolving the S-V disagreement.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 20:24
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
The second that is needed if Bureau of Labor Statistics has indicated two things. But that is not the case. So the second "that" is not required. So C is not correct.

First of all, I agree that Bureau of Labor Statistics did not say two things. The second thing was author's opinion.

Second, even if the Bureau were to say two things, the sentence construction, at least in this context, would be appropirate with "and that" not with "but that".

To add more fuel to the disagreement, here are few samples from venerated style guides:

The Economist:
"The fact that can often be shortened to That (That I did not do so was a self-indulgence)."
http://economist.com/research/styleGuid ... age=673919

http://www.bartleby.com/116/216.html:
"That the movement is as purely industrial as the leaders of the strike claim may be doubted."—Times

We know that in GMAT "which" cannot refer a general idea. In those cases, the construction "That <the general idea> .... <verb>" is appropriate.

Applying the same logic, along with subject-verb disagreement in choice E, I chose C.

Any thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 06:22
Pokhran II wrote:
Sumithra wrote:

why not?

See this way:

It should be indicate.

Any thoughts?

IMO the decline does not indicate the second half, so 'that' is not right. However, s-v disagreement does not change with or without 'that'
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 20:37
Sumithra wrote:
IMO the decline does not indicate the second half, so 'that' is not right. However, s-v disagreement does not change with or without 'that'

You probably think from the conjunction stand point. On the other hand, "that" can also be used to introduce a subject phrase or clause.

For example:
That I did not do so was a self-indulgence.
http://economist.com/research/styleGuid ... age=673919

Here, the clause in italic is the subject, which is introduced by "that".

In this posted question, "thatâ€
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 05:29
E is right.

C is wrong because the 2nd sentence is not what the first "national unemployment indicates. you can sense it means something different.
  [#permalink] 28 Nov 2006, 05:29