Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [2]
Send PM
Re: The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aviral1995 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:
The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of circumstance, his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case.

(A) circumstance, his life
(B) circumstance, and his life
(C) circumstance, and his life being
(D) circumstance; his life
(E) circumstance: his life being

Hi all,
I was mainly confused between two options in this question. Please elaborate on your reason for choosing an answer.

Responding to a pm:

Note that "his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." and "his life being uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." are not independent clauses because they have no verb in them.

The following are independent clauses and one of these is what you need with the coordinating conjunction ('and') and semi colon:

"his life was uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." or
"his life was being uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

Accuracy wise, the use of 'being' is still suspect. 'Being' is not used to describe a state; it is used to describe an ongoing action such as 'the tree is being uprooted'.

Colon is used if you need to give a list and hence, is not suitable here. So options (B), (C), (D) and (E) are wrong.

Only option (A) describes circumstance suitably using the modifier "his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

VeritasKarishma VeritasKarishma thank-you for your detailed explanation.
But i have a question with the use of being here...isn't being here used in options in option C and E to refer to temporary state as i believe the use of being in modifier used to represent temporary state is correct as in the below question-
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-data-bei ... 52303.html

Also, if its not used as temporary state , please help me understand how can we identify whether being as a modifier is used in temporary state
Please help me understand and let me know what i am missing..
TIA

'being' is used to describe a temporary ongoing action, not a state.
e.g.
'The tree is being uprooted' showing the action of uprooting.
'His life was uprooted' is the state of his life due to factors X, Y and Z. It is not an action.

Why would you anyway bother with 'being' when you have a perfectly valid absolute phrase using past participle?
Also discussed here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/0 ... -the-gmat/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Re: The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of [#permalink]
Hi VeritasKarishma I want to understand here, how can we be so sure that "uprooted" is used as participle here and not as past tense (main verb) ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ishita27 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma I want to understand here, how can we be so sure that "uprooted" is used as participle here and not as past tense (main verb) ?

To be used as a verb, we need "was uprooted" because his life did not uproot; it was uprooted. So we need to use passive. Since 'was' is not used here, it means it is not a verb, but a modifier.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:
The defense lawyer and witnesses portrayed the accused as a victim of circumstance, his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case.

Hi all,
I was mainly confused between two options in this question. Please elaborate on your reason for choosing an answer.

Responding to a pm:

Note that "his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." and "his life being uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case." are not independent clauses because they have no verb in them.

The following are independent clauses and one of these is what you need with the coordinating conjunction ('and') and semi colon:

"his life was being uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

Accuracy wise, the use of 'being' is still suspect. 'Being' is not used to describe a state; it is used to describe an ongoing action such as 'the tree is being uprooted'.

Colon is used if you need to give a list and hence, is not suitable here. So options (B), (C), (D) and (E) are wrong.

Only option (A) describes circumstance suitably using the modifier "his life uprooted by the media pressure to punish someone in the case."

Hi VeritasKarishma,

I just wonder which noun/action that the modifier 'his life ...' modifies.? and because of that I choose C as I think the underline part cannot be a modifier, but a continued idea, so 'and' is required.
Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
tinbq wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:

Hi all,

Responding to a pm:

Hi VeritasKarishma,

I just wonder which noun/action that the modifier 'his life ...' modifies.? and because of that I choose C as I think the underline part cannot be a modifier, but a continued idea, so 'and' is required.
Thanks

It is an absolute phrase. I have discussed absolute phrases along with this question in my post here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/0 ... -the-gmat/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hello,

I choose (E) while taking the practice test. I did not know about "absolute phrases" so I didn't think about selecting (A) at all. After reading all the explanation, I still do not understand why (E) is incorrect. A colon is used to introduce lists in most cases but can be used to introduce a sentence fragment that clarifies the independent clause before the colon. I believe that "his life being uprooted ..." is a clarification to how the accuser was portrayed as a victim so I thought that the use of the colon made sense here. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Thank you :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
The correct answer (A) in this sentence correction problem contains an unusual modifier structure (called an absolute phrase) so many students are hesitant to pick it. Anytime you place a noun followed by a participle (“his life uprooted”) at the beginning or end of the sentence, it is a structure known as an absolute phrase, and it is used to give more information about the sentence as a whole. Consider this example of another absolute phrase and you will realize that you do see this commonly in language: Her arms folded across her chest, Mary was clearly upset by the decision. However even if you don’t like (A), the other answer choices are all fatally flawed so you must pick it!
In (B) the “and his life uprooted..” is not properly connected to the rest of the sentence and seems to be its own incomplete clause/thought.
In (C), the same problem exists and it is made even worse with the addition of the unnecessary “being”.
In (D) what follows the semi-colon is not a complete sentence and in (E) the colon is not the correct way to link the portion at the end to the rest of the sentence (and “being” is again incorrect and unnecessary).
Answer is (A).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
Always remember the portion after the "comma AND" structure should be an independent clause.
If the portion after the "comma AND" structure can't stand alone as an independent clause - mostly that choice is incorrect

hope this helps!

VeritasKarishma - do you agree?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kittle wrote:
Always remember the portion after the "comma AND" structure should be an independent clause.
If the portion after the "comma AND" structure can't stand alone as an independent clause - mostly that choice is incorrect

hope this helps!

VeritasKarishma - do you agree?

No, do not depend on such "rules" (of thumb). Some style guides suggest using the oxford comma in lists too.

I need to buy apples, oranges and bananas.
I need to buy apples, oranges, and bananas.
Both are acceptable.

What is acceptable to GMAT and what is not is also dynamic. Hence, our only option is to look at the 5 given options and then decide the best one.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts