Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Department of Agriculture slowly succeeded in convincing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 294

Premium Member CAT Tests
The Department of Agriculture slowly succeeded in convincing [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 21:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

54% (02:25) correct 45% (00:27) wrong based on 31 sessions
The Department of Agriculture slowly succeeded in convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they had used for many years.

convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they had used
convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they used
their attempt to convince farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they had used
their attempt to convince farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they used
convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that has been in use for many years
Source:Veritas Prep Quiz

Why not A ,how A symbolizes an ambiguous pronoun they,it logically refers back to farmers .
The explanation states that "they" in A is ambiguous.How in this world this is ambiguous.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 239

Premium Member
Re: The Department of Agriculture slowly [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 12:32
Well, I did not not choose A because of tense error they had used past perfect tense is not required to indicate a event that started in the past and probably continues in the present ie single crop farming

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Department of Agriculture slowly [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 20:33
dentobizz wrote:
Well, I did not not choose A because of tense error they had used past perfect tense is not required to indicate a event that started in the past and probably continues in the present ie single crop farming

The Department of Agriculture slowly succeeded in convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they had used for many years.

When DOA already succeeded in convincing to try other approaches than how "single crop farming" should take has been?????

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 141

Re: The Department of Agriculture slowly [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 22:45
targetgmatchotu wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

When DOA already succeeded in convincing to try other approaches than how "single crop farming" should take has been?????

Rgds,
Saurabh

When DOA was attempting to convince the farmers, the farmers were still using the conventional approach of farming. This conventional approach had started in the past and continued till the DOA succeeded in convincing the farmers, so the continuous forms must be used. But I think it should be "had been" instead of "has been".

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Department of Agriculture slowly [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 23:03
When DOA was attempting to convince the farmers, the farmers were still using the conventional approach of farming. This conventional approach had started in the past and continued till the DOA succeeded in convincing the farmers, so the continuous forms must be used. But I think it should be "had been" instead of "has been".

The what is the issue with this one

succeeded = Past tense
had used = Past Perfect

Plz correct me if I am wrong !!!!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: The Department of Agriculture slowly   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2013, 23:03