Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 18:08
The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal requirements for driver’s licenses that would allow them to be used as part of a national identification system. Using licenses for purposes not directly related to operating a motor vehicle is un-American because it would require U.S. citizens to carry the equivalent of “papers.” Such a requirement would allow the government to restrict their movements and activities in the manner of totalitarian regimes. In time, this could make other limits on freedom acceptable.

The author assumes which of the following?

(A) The next presidential election will be dishonest, as has happened in eastern European countries.
(B) The government will soon start curtailing the activities of those it considers “dissidents.”
(C) Blanket restrictions on law-abiding individuals are contrary to the traditions of American culture and law.
(D) The majority of Americans are not willing to give up their right to travel and move about without identification.
(E) Americans should resist all government regulation of their lives.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - National ID System [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 02:01
walker wrote:
The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal requirements for driver’s licenses that would allow them to be used as part of a national identification system. Using licenses for purposes not directly related to operating a motor vehicle is un-American because it would require U.S. citizens to carry the equivalent of “papers.” Such a requirement would allow the government to restrict their movements and activities in the manner of totalitarian regimes. In time, this could make other limits on freedom acceptable.

A) The next presidential election will be dishonest, as has happened in eastern European countries.
B) The government will soon start curtailing the activities of those it considers “dissidents.”
C) Blanket restrictions on law-abiding individuals are contrary to the traditions of American culture and law.
D) The majority of Americans are not willing to give up their right to travel and move about without identification.
E)Americans should resist all government regulation of their lives.

My question is how it is close to real GMAT

I guess that it comes from the real, so it is very close to the real :lol:
D for me!
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - National ID System [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 02:27
walker wrote:

It comes close, but again, no one exactly replicates GMAT CR in my opinion.

The answe to this I believe is C, becuase the argument says that a blanket restriction is "un-american" like "totalitarian regimes"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - National ID System [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 08:14
Oh finnaly i got this correct
C is the answer to this

to be honest i also think that nothing compares to the actual thing, but nonetheless it does provide some very good simulation

walker keep posting these questions
and hey guys i wonder is someone can post RC 's as questions
i hardly see anyone posting RC 's here any particular reasons for the same

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 10:37

a) The next presidential election will be dishonest, as has happened in eastern European countries.
b) The government will soon start curtailing the activities of those it considers “dissidents.”
c) Blanket restrictions on law-abiding individuals are contrary to the traditions of American culture and law.
d) The majority of Americans are not willing to give up their right to travel and move about without identification.
e) Americans should resist all government regulation of their lives.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 50

Re: Homeland security [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 11:01
Orange08 wrote:

a) The next presidential election will be dishonest, as has happened in eastern European countries.
Out of scope.
b) The government will soon start curtailing the activities of those it considers “dissidents.”
No where in the stimulus there is a talk of "dissidents". Hence out of scope.
c) Blanket restrictions on law-abiding individuals are contrary to the traditions of American culture and law.
This statement is a extremely extrapolating the argument in the stimulus.
d) The majority of Americans are not willing to give up their right to travel and move about without identification.
Good candidate.
Again this option is extremely worded -- "all" , "of their lives". Hence eliminated.

Option D wins. If we apply the negation rule the argument should break.

Argument is -- "Using licenses for purposes not directly related to operating a motor vehicle is un-American". And negation of option D -- majority of Americans are willing to give up their right to travel without id will make it sound like it is okay with Americans and the argument breaks. Hence this option is correct.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

Re: Homeland security [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 22:02

A- Totally irrelevant
B- Irrelevant. We are not bothered about what the consequences are.
C- C Wins. The argument says that carrying documents is not American and doing so restricts movement. Statement C speaks about the same.
D- The argument is not assuming what the majority of americans are doing. In fact no where in the passage does it talk about the americans feel. It talks about what the author is saying.
E- Irrelevant. Its not about what the americans are supposed to do. It is about what the argument is assuming.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Re: Homeland security [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 22:39
Orange08 wrote:

-AD

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 236

Kudos [?]: 576 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Homeland security [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 00:52
The correct answer here is 'none of the above'; the author isn't specifically assuming any of the answer choices. Sure, C comes closest to being right, but the author is only specifically assuming that it is 'un-American' to require citizens to carry "papers", and not that it is un-American for the government to impose any type of 'blanket restriction' on citizens. Where is this question from? It doesn't make any sense.

I'd add that D is certainly not right; the argument is not based on public opinion in any way, but rather on what the author considers to be 'un-American'.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Homeland security [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 10:13
mgmat cr's are a bit frustrating, here is some more discussion regarding this question --
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... ity#p14965
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 55

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 08:25
i picked D because i didnt quite understand what Blanket restrictions are. For those who dont now, it means universal/overall restrictions (cover every one).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 11:12
Orange08 wrote:

I picked up the C because it is mentioned that there are few things which are un-American so C makes sense as it explains that the step is contrary to the traditions of American culture and law.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 15:03
+1 C

I feel it is C. When the argument mentions "unamerican", it refers to something related to tradition.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 12:59
actually answer comes from last word ''acceptable''.That means US citizens are against any kind of restriction,so C is the best option
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 10:29
OA is C.

OE: The conclusion of this argument is that the national identification system (“using licenses for purposes not directly related to operating a motor vehicle”) is un-American. The basis for this claim is that such a system would allow the government to restrict the liberty of its people. The necessary assumption is one that connects restrictions on liberties to the concept of “un-American” policies.

Though I too went with D... :x
But OE says Whether Americans are willing to give up their right to travel freely is irrelevant to this argument: that the national identification system is un-American simply because it restricts the liberties of U.S. citizens. Even if Americans were willing to give up their right to move about without identification, the system could still be considered un-American.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 46

The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 12:07

(A)The next presidential election will be dishonest, as has happened in eastern European countries.
(B)The government will soon start curtailing the activities of those it considers “dissidents.”
(C)Blanket restrictions on law-abiding individuals are contrary to the traditions of American culture and law.
(D)The majority of Americans are not willing to give up their right to travel and move about without identification.
(E)Americans should resist all government regulation of their lives.
Need explanation..........
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 9

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 20:03
[A]: There is no information at all here about the Presidential election. Incorrect.
[B]: There is no reference to "dissidents", either directly or indirectly in the stimulus. Incorrect.
[C]: If using licenses as identification is un-American and could lead to restriction on movement, then the restrictions are also un-American, and therefore contrary to American culture and law. CORRECT.
[D]: The stimulus says nothing about what the majority of Americans feel. Incorrect.
[E]: This is an over-generalization. If Americans ought to oppose some restriction on their freedom, it does not mean that they should oppose all government regulation of their lives. Incorrect.

C is the right answer.

Free profile evaluation by top b-school alumni: email us at info@gyanone.com
Personalized 1-on-1 GMAT coaching: www.gyanone.com/1-on-1-gmat/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 70

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 19:29
Duplicates posts on the same topic has been merged.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 18

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 20:09
walker wrote:

A) The next presidential election will be dishonest, as has happened in eastern European countries.
B) The government will soon start curtailing the activities of those it considers “dissidents.”
C) Blanket restrictions on law-abiding individuals are contrary to the traditions of American culture and law.
D) The majority of Americans are not willing to give up their right to travel and move about without identification.
E) Americans should resist all government regulation of their lives.

+1 C

This seems like a real good GMAT question to answer your question. It has a great trap answer (D) and the wording feels right to me.

D can not possibly be the answer because Americans ARE currently required to travel and move about WITH identification. Choice D is a direct contradiction to the stated facts - the passage states that [Using licenses for purposes not directly related to operating a motor vehicle is un-American]. This statement tells you that licenses ARE directly used for operating a motor vehicle. And using common sense, that's what a Driver's License is. It's the law to drive with a Driver's License, you get a ticket if you're driving without one. All modes of traveling aside from hitch-hiking and just straight walking to where you're going require some form of ID. The premise is talking about adding to that restriction, using a Driver License to put more restriction in addition to the travel laws that currently exist.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 196

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 13:07
mun23 wrote:

(A)The next presidential election will be dishonest, as has happened in eastern European countries.
(B)The government will soon start curtailing the activities of those it considers “dissidents.”
(C)Blanket restrictions on law-abiding individuals are contrary to the traditions of American culture and law.
(D)The majority of Americans are not willing to give up their right to travel and move about without identification.
(E)Americans should resist all government regulation of their lives.
Need explanation..........

HERE IS OE

The conclusion of this argument is that the national identification system (“using licenses for purposes not directly related to operating a motor vehicle”) is un-American. The basis for this claim is that such a system would allow the government to restrict the liberty of its people. The necessary assumption is one that connects restrictions on liberties to the concept of “un-American” policies.

(A) The author never mentions future presidential elections, or the role of the president in such a national identification system. Therefore, the conclusion that the national identification system is un-American does not depend on this assumption.

(B) Whether the government will soon, or will ever, start curtailing the activities of dissidents is irrelevant to this argument: that the national identification system is un-American simply because it restricts the liberties of U.S. citizens. Even if the government does not abuse the power the national identification system provides, the system could still be considered un-American.

(C) CORRECT. This choice connects the concept of "un-American" policies to restrictions on liberties, essentially defining blanket restrictions on citizens as un-American.

(D) Whether Americans are willing to give up their right to travel freely is irrelevant to this argument: that the national identification system is un-American simply because it restricts the liberties of U.S. citizens. Even if Americans were willing to give up their right to move about without identification, the system could still be considered un-American.

(E) While the author may be inclined to agree that Americans should resist the government regulation of their lives that the national identification system represents, this argument does not depend on such an assumption. In fact, the author makes a distinction between the national identification system and “licenses for purposes…directly related to operating a motor vehicle,” so it is possible that the author considers some government regulation reasonable.

HOPE IT HELPS

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 01:44
The following is a road map of the argument:

Department of Homeland security wants to make driving licenses a mark of national identity --> Such an imposition is un-american because of the need to carry 'papers' or extra baggage to prove one's identity --> such requirements restrict the movements of many citizens --> In time, other limits on freedom will become acceptable, rather freedom would be curtailed.

The options:
A) Irrelevant. The argument has nothing to do with or to say about the next presidential elections or the eastern European countries.
B) Irrelevant. The arguments says nothing about the dissidents. It talks about how making driving licence a mark of National Identity is un-american, how it will affect the people by curtailing their freedom.
C) Correct. This states that such impositions are un-american which is necessary for the argument's conclusion to stand.
D) Irrelevant. The argument says nothing about the willingness of people to accept or defy these terms. In fact the argument as nothing in relation to the common public opinion. It only speaks of the author's views.
E) Irrelevant. This is not an assumption. This is more like a message the author would have wanted to convey. But however, we have no information on this even. 'All' is too extreme for an answer choice.
Re: The Department of Homeland Security has proposed new federal   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2013, 01:44