Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Destructors, is an unusually powerful film about a group

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

The Destructors, is an unusually powerful film about a group [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 10:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
The Destructors, is an unusually powerful film about a group of cruel and idle young boys who destroys an old man's home for no other reason but because it is beautiful.

Instead of because is THAT.

Could someone explain me this?
Many thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 493

Kudos [?]: 2016 [1] , given: 30

Re: Could someone help me with this? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
marialaurajoo wrote:
The Destructors, is an unusually powerful film about a group of cruel and idle young boys who destroys an old man's home for no other reason but because it is beautiful.

Instead of because is THAT.

Could someone explain me this?
Many thanks

Think about it this way. First of all, "not P but Q" is a parallel structure on the GMAT. P and Q must be in parallel.

A "because" clause provides a reason, an explanation for something, but in any sentence with the word "because", we couldn't just replace the entire "because" clause with the words "a reason" or "a [adjective] reason."
I am happy because they served ice cream today.
I am happy a good reason. :-(
We could make that second sentence work if we substituted in "for a good reason", "because of a good reason", etc. etc. The point is, we can't just eliminate a full "because" clause and replace it with the words "a reason". For related reasons, a "because" clause can never be in parallel with a noun like "reason."

In this sentence, we need something that could be interchangeable with "a [adjective] reason" ------- "for no other reason but a bad reason" --- that's somewhat redundant, but it demonstrates the kind of clause needed. We can't substitute a "because" clause for the part in green there. We need another kind of clause.

"A reason" is a noun, so we need a clause that acts as a noun --- these are called "substantive clause" or "noun clauses", and you can read about them here:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/
The clause "that it is beautiful" is a substantive clause, so it can be in parallel to the words "no other reason."

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could someone help me with this? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS

Not sure if you mean, to use "that" instead of "because"

Here is what I think....

To use "that" it will simply act as a connector to previous dependent clause starting with "who"
Also, "that" can be correctly used with restrictive clauses/essential modifiers

In context to both these, "that" can be used instead of "because". However use of "because" followed by clause with subject and verb is also appropriate

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Re: Could someone help me with this?   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2013, 12:16