Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 11:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:52) correct 25% (00:46) wrong based on 44 sessions
The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl and her family that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered.

A. that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered

B. that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered

C. whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered

D. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered

E. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Last edited by Zarrolou on 11 Jul 2013, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 11:59
D, i've seen this before I think.

that is not used to refer to people. eliminate a,b

c is not ||.(whom were eventually discovered???)
d has better logical flow than e.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 12:24
I agree with D here

C isn't ||
E has "even though" which isn't needed because we are talking about the story
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2006, 12:32
Straight D.

I have seen this type in ARCO's Master GMAT
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
OA is D.

Look the OE for choice E. Is "they" ambiguous? Dutch couple is a singular. It means "they" is clearly referring to family.
Also don't we have to show a little contrast here, as shown in E?

OE:
The original sentence uses the relative pronoun "that" where "who" is preferred because the antecedent is a group of people. Also, the prepositional phrase "by a gentile Dutch couple" is placed in such a way as to suggest that the occupation was carried out by the couple. Finally, the pronoun "they" is ambiguous – it could refer to the family or to the couple.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice incorrectly uses the relative pronoun "that" to refer to a group of people. Additionally, the pronoun "they" is ambiguous - it could refer to the family or to the couple.

(C) The use of the object pronoun "whom" makes "a girl and her family" the object of the clause "a gentile Dutch couple hid;" however "a girl and her family" are the subject of the next clause "were eventually discovered." This is a mismatch.

(D) CORRECT. It correctly uses the pronoun "who" to refer to a girl and her family. Additionally, the phrase "by a gentile Dutch couple" is placed immediately after "who were hidden" to clarify the meaning. Finally, the ambiguous pronoun issue is avoided altogether.

(E) The pronoun "they" is ambiguous - it could refer to the family or to the couple.

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 18:40
vivek123 wrote:
You have a point. What is the source of this?

If you are also seeing this, then I am more confidence. Source is MGMAT SC Question bank.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 19:02
ps_dahiya wrote:
OA is D.

Look the OE for choice E. Is "they" ambiguous? Dutch couple is a singular. It means "they" is clearly referring to family.

OE:
The original sentence uses the relative pronoun "that" where "who" is preferred because the antecedent is a group of people. Also, the prepositional phrase "by a gentile Dutch couple" is placed in such a way as to suggest that the occupation was carried out by the couple. Finally, the pronoun "they" is ambiguous – it could refer to the family or to the couple.

(B) This choice incorrectly uses the relative pronoun "that" to refer to a group of people. Additionally, the pronoun "they" is ambiguous - it could refer to the family or to the couple.

(C) The use of the object pronoun "whom" makes "a girl and her family" the object of the clause "a gentile Dutch couple hid;" however "a girl and her family" are the subject of the next clause "were eventually discovered." This is a mismatch.

(D) CORRECT. It correctly uses the pronoun "who" to refer to a girl and her family. Additionally, the phrase "by a gentile Dutch couple" is placed immediately after "who were hidden" to clarify the meaning. Finally, the ambiguous pronoun issue is avoided altogether.

(E) The pronoun "they" is ambiguous - it could refer to the family or to the couple.

good point about the contrast

but

consider this

I met the couple at the party and then I saw them at the mall.

not saw it at the mall.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 21:05
old_dream_1976 wrote:

good point about the contrast

but

consider this

I met the couple at the party and then I saw them at the mall.

not saw it at the mall.

I fully agree with you that "couple" generally takes plural pronoun. Below is the usage note.
But I have a question: In the question being discussed, we have "a gentile Dutch couple", which is a singular. So how can we refer it as "they"??
Consider this:

An american couple WAS seen dancing at party. :yes

An american couple WERE seen dancing at party. :no

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/couple

When used to refer to two people who function socially as a unit, as in a married couple, the word couple may take either a singular or a plural verb, depending on whether the members are considered individually or collectively: The couple were married last week. Only one couple was left on the dance floor. When a pronoun follows, they and their are more common than it and its: The couple decided to spend their (less commonly its) vacation in Florida. Using a singular verb and a plural pronoun, as in The couple wants their children to go to college, is widely considered to be incorrect. Care should be taken that the verb and pronoun agree in number: The couple want their children to go to college.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 07:11
Folks,
I was exactly thinking of the format that OD1976 has given above. If we go technically on reference, it doesn't look correct but actually it "sounds" correct.

Can anybody shed some more light on this? Nandan, Matt, Wilfred, Pret, Paul?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 07:17
Was just feeling uneasy on this.

Looks like "couple" can take a singular verb or a plural verb, it depends how you are using it. If you consider it as a single unit it needs singular verb otherwise it needs plural verb.

Here are some reference links:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/couple --> Read complete page, especially the "Usage Note"
http://www.asne.org/index.cfm?ID=6001
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/edu/ ... 090204.htm

Goes straight into my log file. Very good SC Parmender :good
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Diary of Anne Frank [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 14:30
I decided on D pretty quickly here. A, B & C were easly to eliminate based on the first few words of each.

Between D & E, D is clear and concise, while E includes 'they' which does not clearly indicate Ann Frank and her family or the Dutch couple.

D for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 01:24
ps_dahiya wrote:
OA is D.

Agree that they isn't ambiguous.. But contrast is shown in D using "but".
"Even though" changes meaning a bit..
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 22:34
ps_dahiya wrote:
OA is D.

OE:

Thanks for posting the OE on this one Dahiya. Clarified a few doubts I had about the pronoun use of "they."
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 363

Kudos [?]: 1789 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC: Diary of Anne Frank [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 12:50
Expert's post
Are "but" and "though" interchangeable here?

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Diary of Anne Frank [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 14:02
This post received
KUDOS
"though" functions as subordinating conjunction. In this sentence though tries to subordinates "were eventually discovered" to independent clause "were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple". In this process "were eventually discovered" clauses forefits its independence.But in reality it can stand alone as a independent clause.

Sentence has pronoun referent and pronoun case issues

A. that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered [they can point to couple or family – eliminate it]

B. that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered [they can point to couple or family – eliminate it]

C. whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered [we require a subject pronoun not “whom” – eliminate it]

D. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered [Hold it]

E. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered [they can point to couple or family – eliminate it]

Answer: D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Diary of Anne Frank [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 05:59
For D: couldnt the last WERE in the sentence refer to the couple or the family? Also is it possible for someone to explain EVEN THOUGH in E? I cant understand the explanation above.

Also from reading MGMAT's SC Guide, THAT could refer to things OR people.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Diary of Anne Frank [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 06:36
lionheart187 wrote:
For D: couldnt the last WERE in the sentence refer to the couple or the family? Also is it possible for someone to explain EVEN THOUGH in E? I cant understand the explanation above.

Also from reading MGMAT's SC Guide, THAT could refer to things OR people.

Hi LionHeart,

just to answer your question,
the last "were" actually is better than "they" in E because "they" is much more ambigous (since it could refer to the couple too). Were makes it parallel "were hidden...were discovered" and this parallelism make the sentence unambigous..

I am not sure what you are asking about "even tough"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Diary of Anne Frank [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 07:58
I think the key here is the use of "even though". It conveys the message that, even though tha couple was discovered by the nazis, they were hidden. That´s makes no sense. The opposite is the truth.
So I think "but" here is correct, "even though" the way it is used is incorrect.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Diary of Anne Frank [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 08:03
ldpedroso wrote:
I think the key here is the use of "even though". It conveys the message that, even though tha couple was discovered by the nazis, they were hidden. That´s makes no sense. The opposite is the truth.
So I think "but" here is correct, "even though" the way it is used is incorrect.

correct, and thats another reason why D is right :-)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 04:18
A – “By an gentile couple” needs to be closer to “they were hidden”. Eliminate
B – Not parallel. Were hidden vs they were discovered. They has a ambiguous reference – family or couple? Eliminate
C – Not parallel.
D – Parallel. Clear. Keep
E – same as B
Re: The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2012, 04:18