Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [14]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 653 [7]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
 Q51  V36
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [3]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
Re: The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl [#permalink]
Was just feeling uneasy on this.

Looks like "couple" can take a singular verb or a plural verb, it depends how you are using it. If you consider it as a single unit it needs singular verb otherwise it needs plural verb.

Here are some reference links:
https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/couple --> Read complete page, especially the "Usage Note"
https://www.asne.org/index.cfm?ID=6001
https://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/edu/ ... 090204.htm

Goes straight into my log file. Very good SC Parmender :good
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [0]
 Q47  V35
Send PM
A) that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered

Pronoun Reference Issue

B) that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
Pronoun Reference Issue

C) whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
Construction is not parallel

D) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
Must be the answer, though indirect speech makes it wordy.

E) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered
Pronoun Reference Issue
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3891 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl and her family that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered.

(A) that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
(B) that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
(C) whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
(D) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
(E) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

what is the difference between who and that, and but and though?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
reply2spg wrote:
The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl and her family that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered.

A. that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
B. that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
C. whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
D. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
E. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

I will go with D.

Who refers to people. That refer to groups or things.

in E, "they" is amgibous.. it can refer to "young girl and family " or Dutch couple.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT Major
Schools:ISB - Co 2013
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V44
GPA: 2.5-3.0
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Send PM
Kudos
sleekmover wrote:
C.

Anne frank and her family is the object of the sentence and hence "whom" should be used. "that" is used to refer non person nouns.
Posted from my mobile device

"young girl and her family" is the object of the the sentence, but for the modifier in the later part of the sentence, "young girl and her family" is the subject ; since "they were discovered". so for the modifier part "whom" cant be correct.

Hence D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
reply2spg wrote:

(A) that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
(B) that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
(C) whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
(D) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
(E) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

"that" cannot refer to human like "family and young girl"

In choice E, "they" is ambiguous pronoun. Although or even though are wrong usage here because we need the chronological events, and "but" is necessary for chronological events.

choice D is correct.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
targetgmatchotu wrote:
47. The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl and her family that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered.

A. that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
B. that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
C. whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
D. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
E. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

source: brutal sc

What is wrong with option (C). (E).

Read this. It is useful

https://www.f1gmat.com/using-whom-and-wh ... tions-gmat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Veenu,

Few issues with E.

who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

I've highlighted a couple of words that are an issue.

even - this is inferior to the 'but were eventually' in the correct answer as it gives no sense of chronology. x happened then y happened

they - as people have pointed out before it is not gramatically clear who this refers to.

Hope this makes sense.

James
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Shouldnt relative pronoun 'who' be repeated in the option D as ......but who were eventually discovered.?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OreoShake wrote:
Shouldnt relative pronoun 'who' be repeated in the option D as ......but who were eventually discovered.?

When two verbs are added, only a conjunction (without a comma) is required.

I read and write.... correct
I read, and write....wrong

When two clauses are added, comma + conjunction is required.

I read, and I write.... correct
I read and I write...wrong

Here notice that two verbs ("were hidden" and " were") are joined by a conjunction ("but") without a comma. Therefore adding a subject "who" before the second verb would make the sentence wrong. If there were a comma before "but",then "who" would be required before the second verb.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20708 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
ps_dahiya wrote:

gentile (noun) = a person who is not Jewish

Official answer from Manhattan Prep.

The original sentence uses the relative pronoun "that" where "who" is preferred because the antecedent is a group of people. Also, the prepositional phrase "by a gentile Dutch couple" is placed in such a way as to suggest that the occupation was carried out by the couple. Finally, the pronoun "they" is ambiguous – it could refer to the family or to the couple.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice incorrectly uses the relative pronoun "that" to refer to a group of people. Additionally, the pronoun "they" is ambiguous - it could refer to the family or to the couple.

(C) The use of the object pronoun "whom" makes "a girl and her family" the object of the clause "a gentile Dutch couple hid;" however "a girl and her family" are the subject of the next clause "were eventually discovered." This is a mismatch.

(D) CORRECT. It correctly uses the pronoun "who" to refer to a girl and her family. Additionally, the phrase "by a gentile Dutch couple" is placed immediately after "who were hidden" to clarify the meaning. Finally, the ambiguous pronoun issue is avoided altogether.

(E) The pronoun "they" is ambiguous - it could refer to the family or to the couple.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
OreoShake wrote:

Here notice that two verbs ("were hidden" and " were") are joined by a conjunction ("but") without a comma. Therefore adding a subject "who" before the second verb would make the sentence wrong. If there were a comma before "but",then "who" would be required before the second verb.

The concept makes sense. However in D isnt the part before the parallelism marker 'but' - i.e 'who were hidden...' - a clause? 'who' is a pronoun, 'were hidden' is a verb. The part after marker 'but' is a verb yes. To apply above concept, it should verb and verb, or clause and clause. Or is it that 'who' is ignored because it acts a modifier?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OreoShake wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
OreoShake wrote:

The concept makes sense. However in D isnt the part before the parallelism marker 'but' - i.e 'who were hidden...' - a clause? 'who' is a pronoun, 'were hidden' is a verb. The part after marker 'but' is a verb yes. To apply above concept, it should verb and verb, or clause and clause. Or is it that 'who' is ignored because it acts a modifier?

The construction is verb + verb:

.. who were hidden but were discovered.... (Subject "who" has 2 verbs: "were hidden" and "were discovered". These two verbs are joined by the conjucntion "but" - no comma required.)

Alternative construction could be clause + clause:
.. who were hidden, but who were discovered.... (Clauses "who were hidden" and "who were discovered" are joined by Comma + "but")
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts