Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 13:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (01:42) correct 34% (01:00) wrong based on 354 sessions
The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl and her family that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered.

(A) that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
(B) that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
(C) whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
(D) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
(E) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

what is the difference between who and that, and but and though?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 422 [4] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
reply2spg wrote:
The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl and her family that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered.

A. that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
B. that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
C. whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
D. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
E. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

I will go with D.

Who refers to people. That refer to groups or things.

in E, "they" is amgibous.. it can refer to "young girl and family " or Dutch couple.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 21:12
D, "even though" changes the meaning in E
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 03:15
This post received
KUDOS
who is used for people, that is used for things. Hence A , B and C are out.
In E, they is ambigious.
D is the clear winner

Last edited by ritula on 15 Mar 2009, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 06:19
x2suresh wrote:
I will go with D.

Who refers to people. That refer to groups or things.

in E, "they" is amgibous.. it can refer to "young girl and family " or Dutch couple.

I think Dutch couple is singular.

I went for E but not sure what makes it inferior.
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [5] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
that refers to lifeless things while who refers to people..so A&B are clearly out.
whom is also out of place..so C is out.
out of D&E, E changes the meaning.. and also is wordy..
So IMO its D.
who -- Refers to people
that -- refers to objects
but -- when you have to refer to contrasting things or change of situation in 180degree direction
though -- it is milder than but.... but.. is also used in the opposite of the given situation.

reply2spg wrote:

A. that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
B. that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
C. whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
D. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
E. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 02:21
D.

the sentence describes what the book entails. So in plain language we would tell people 'the book tells that they were hidden but eventually discovered' NOT 'the book tells that they were hidden even though they were eventually discovered'--The second almost reverses the chain of cause and effect.

I like all the other explanations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 02:33
Someone please explain why C is wrong

Thanks
rampuria

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 07:25
reply2spg wrote:

C is wrong because two phrases in C are not parallel.
let's break C down into two phrases and replace 'whom' with 'them'.

1) A gentile Dutch coule hid "them" during the Nazi occupation --> this part is correct, BUT when you combine this phrase with the next, they don't parallel, because

2) but "they" were eventually discovered --> you cannot use "them" instead of "they" in this case.

that's why C is wrong in my opinion.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2009, 11:39
Please explain again why C is wrong?? I really didn't get why C is wrong..

Regards,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2009, 19:21
KocharRohit wrote:
Please explain again why C is wrong?? I really didn't get why C is wrong..

Regards,

(C) whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered

It's not parallel.
The meaning of the sentence is that a young girl and her family were hidden and were discovered.
So you can't use "whom" to connect both of these ideas, unless "a young girl and her family whom a couple hid.... and who were discovered".
"a young girl and her family who were hidden...and (who) were discovered" is concise. Hence D.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 04:15
C.

Anne frank and her family is the object of the sentence and hence "whom" should be used. "that" is used to refer non person nouns.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 04:25
It seems D is correct mostly due to parallel structure compared to c that violates this rule.
However, can anybody explain why "whom" should not be used since it refers to the objEct of the sentence?

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 99 [4] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
sleekmover wrote:
C.

Anne frank and her family is the object of the sentence and hence "whom" should be used. "that" is used to refer non person nouns.

"young girl and her family" is the object of the the sentence, but for the modifier in the later part of the sentence, "young girl and her family" is the subject ; since "they were discovered". so for the modifier part "whom" cant be correct.

Hence D

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 06:42
reply2spg wrote:

(A) that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
(B) that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
(D) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
(E) who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

(D) for me
The most convincing reason to eliminate other choices is the "ambiguti error" they've made. We dont know "they" refer to familly or familly + the girl.
In (d), gmac makes the very concise sentence when it uses modifier "who were hiden" to refer "familly" and paralel structure "but were discovered" to show exactly the meaning: the familly were hiden but were discovered.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 07:06
The key point here to remember is that 'who' always takes place of the Subject and 'Whom' always takes place of the Object.

So my choice would be 'D'
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 08:25
I chose C thinking the subject "Anne Frank and her family" were being acted upon making it the object. :( FML.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 193

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:36
straight D
Vibah: Good explanation for C

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 14:08
vaibhavtripathi wrote:
sleekmover wrote:
C.

"young girl and her family" is the object of the the sentence, but for the modifier in the later part of the sentence, "young girl and her family" is the subject ; since "they were discovered". so for the modifier part "whom" cant be correct.

Hence D

The Diary of Anne Frank is the object of the sentence, hence whom with reference to the family is incorrect as this is the objective form of the pronoun.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Though vs But [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 19:53
Another problem with C:

"a Dutch couple hid (them) during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands" is Active voice, while "(they) were eventually discovered" is Passive.

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

Re: SC: Though vs But   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2010, 19:53