Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 10:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

20% (02:38) correct 80% (00:37) wrong based on 14 sessions
47. The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl and her family that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered.

A. that were hidden during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands by a gentile Dutch couple, though they were eventually discovered
B. that were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, though they were eventually discovered
C. whom a gentile Dutch couple hid during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
D. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands but were eventually discovered
E. who were hidden by a gentile Dutch couple during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands even though they were eventually discovered

I have a doubt about the above mentioned question.
"who" is supposed to be used when it forms a part of the subject while "whom" is supposed to be used when it forms the part of the object(or actually does not form a part of the subject).Could anyone please explain this??

I chose C because of the above reasons , however,if the concept does not find application in this case,i would definitely choose D.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Who and whom---Brutal Sc #47 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 14:38
'Who' is used as part of an essential modifier to modify the girl and his family..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: Who and whom---Brutal Sc #47 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 23:01
A& B are out because that cannot refer to people.
E- is also out because it is wordy

Between who/ whom i would pick who in this case because 'who' refers to the Subject. In this case the subject is the young girl and her family. Also the second part of the sentence "but were eventually discovered" refers to the young girl and her family. In case of C by using whom we make the young girl and her family the object, thereby making the second part of the sentence to refer to the Dutch couple.

Hence IMO the OA is D.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: Who and whom---Brutal Sc #47 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 00:08
Isn't the main subject The Diary of Anne Frank?

And in the preposition (or is it a clause? I get confused), I thought the subject was "the Dutch couple" who "hid" (verb) "the girl and her family" (object)

I chose C.

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: Who and whom---Brutal Sc #47 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 01:02
@NewSc2

The who/ whom refers to the young girl and her family. If you read the sentence it says ...." the young girl and her family who/whom were hidden... by the Dutch couple....but were eventually discovered." The who/ whom does not talk about the diary of anne frank. When I meant subject i was referring to the subject with reference to who/whom, not to the whole sentence as such.

Also if you read the complete sentence "but were eventually discovered" can only refer to the young girl and her family. It cannot refer to the Dutch couple which means the young girl and her family is the Subject and hence the "who".

I hope I am confusing you too much. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: Who and whom---Brutal Sc #47 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 08:59
these brutal SC ....
I pick D !!
1Know the difference between who and whom. They are both pronouns but who is used as the subject of a sentence or phrase and whom is used as the object of a verb. What follows is a quick way to determine which pronoun to use in a particular question.

Use whom when referring to the object of a verb.
To whom it may concern:
To whom did you talk today?
Whom does Sarah love?

3Use who when referring to the subject of a sentence or phrase.
Who brought the paper inside?
Who talked to you today?
Who went to dinner?

Ask yourself if the answer to the question would be he or him. If you can answer the question with him, then use whom. It's easy to remember because they both end with "m". If you can answer the question with he, then use who.
Example: A suitable answer to the question, "To [who or whom] did the prize go?" is, "It went to him." (Almost no one would say "It went to he.") The correct pronoun for the question is whom.
Example: A suitable answer to the question, "[Who or Whom] went to the store?" is, "He went to the store." (Almost no one would say "Him went to the store.") The correct pronoun for the question who.

above details are taken from web !

cheers !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 04:17
A – “By an gentile couple” needs to be closer to “they were hidden”. Eliminate
B – Not parallel. Were hidden vs they were discovered. They has a ambiguous reference – family or couple? Eliminate
C – Not parallel.
D – Parallel. Clear. Keep
E – same as B
Re: The Diary of Anne Frank tells the true story of a young girl   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2012, 04:17