Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [6]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618611 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 630 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Re: The dimensions of a rectangular solid are 4 inches, 5 inches [#permalink]
nusmavrik wrote:
This must be 750 level. Please help me crack this in 2 mins or less.

The dimensions of a rectangular solid are 4 inches, 5 inches, and 8 inches. If a cube, a side of which is equal to one of the dimensions of the rectangular solid, is placed entirely within the sphere just large enough to hold the cube, what the ratio of the volume of the cube to the volume within the sphere that is not occupied by the cube?

(A) 2:3
(B) 2:5
(C) 5:16
(D) 25:7
(E) 32:25

A. 2:3 (approx)

I am pretty sure about the thing marked in red. It should state rectangular solid and not the sphere........if that is the case find the answer below.....

cube with side greater than 4 cannot fit in the cuboid (4,5 & 8)

so cube has volume of 4^3 = 64

volume of cuboid = 4*5*8 = 160

area not occupied by cube = 96

so the answer is 64:96 or 2:3 (its perfect 2:3) not approx as stated in your OA

hope this helps !!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618611 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nusmavrik wrote:
What is the difficulty level - hard, medium or simple?

The dimensions of a rectangular solid are 4 inches, 5 inches, and 8 inches. If a cube, a side of which is equal to one of the dimensions of the rectangular solid, is placed entirely within the sphere just large enough to hold the cube, what the ratio of the volume of the cube to the volume within the sphere that is not occupied by the cube?

(A) 10:17

The cube must have a side of 4 inches to fit in rectangular solid. Now as the cube is inscribed in sphere then the radius of this sphere equals to half of the cube's diagonal --> \(d=\sqrt{4^2+4^2+4^2}=4\sqrt{3}\), so radius of the sphere is \(r=\frac{d}{2}=2\sqrt{3}\)

Volume of the cube will be \({volume}_{cube}={side}^3=4^3=64\);
Volume of the sphere will be \({volume}_{sphere}=\frac{4}{3}\pi{r^3}=\frac{4}{3}\pi{24\sqrt{3}}={32\sqrt{3}\pi}\).

The ratio of the volume of the cube to the volume within the sphere that is not occupied by the cube is \(\frac{64}{32\sqrt{3}\pi-64}\), and after some calculations you'll get that this ratio is closer to 10/17 than to any other ratios in answer choices.

Answer: A.

P.S. I really doubt that GMAT would offer such a problem, as it requires lengthy calculations and bad approximations (\(\pi\), \(\sqrt{3}\)).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:

The cube must have a side of 4 inches to fit in rectangular solid. Now as the cube is inscribed in sphere then the radius of this sphere equals to half of the cube's diagonal --> \(d=\sqrt{4^2+4^2+4^2}=4\sqrt{3}\), so radius of the sphere is \(r=\frac{d}{2}=2\sqrt{3}\)

Volume of the cube will be \(volume_{cube}={side}^3=4^3=64\);
Volume of the sphere will be \({volume}_{sphere}=\frac{4}{3}\pi{r^3}=\frac{4}{3}\pi{24\sqrt{3}}={32\sqrt{3}\pi}\).

The ratio of the volume of the cube to the volume within the sphere that is not occupied by the cube is \(\frac{64}{32\sqrt{3}\pi-64}\), and after some calculations you'll get that this ratio is closer to 10/17 than to any other ratios in answer choices.

P.S. I really doubt that GMAT would offer such a problem, as it requires lengthy calculations and bad approximations (\(\pi\), \(\sqrt{3}\)).

thanx nusma for posting sucha question ...however pls explain why do we have
third 4^2 .... in calculation of diagonal .. I am surely missing something
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finacee, General Management
Schools:ISB, HEC, Said
 Q48  V28
Send PM
BTW what is source of such difficult problem
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
prashantbacchewar wrote:

I m not able to understand, why the side of the cube is 4 ? It is not mentioned that the cube is inside the rectangular box
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618611 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sap wrote:
prashantbacchewar wrote:

I m not able to understand, why the side of the cube is 4 ? It is not mentioned that the cube is inside the rectangular box

Yes, the question should mention that the cube can be entirely placed in the rectangular solid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
If cube is to be fitted in sphere, it will take 10 minutes to fit it within it :P

if cube is to be fitted in Rectangular solid, only then its possible to solve it within 2 mins.

Any case it is 700 plus level question.

My answer in scene 1 is - 10/17
My answer in scene2 is - 2/3
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:

Hi Bunnel,

Why will the answer be different if I use "a" as the side of the cube.

a^3 gets cancelled, and i get, 1/(4*pi*3^(1/2)) = 7/(88*3^(1/2)-7) = .04
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
cumulonimbus wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:

Hi Bunnel,

Why will the answer be different if I use "a" as the side of the cube.

a^3 gets cancelled, and i get, 1/(4*pi*3^(1/2)) = 7/(88*3^(1/2)-7) = .04

Please, show your work so that it's clear how you get the expression in your post.

Also, please use proper formatting: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 1474
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,
Y the cube must have a side of 4 inches only to fit in? Please help me understand.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
maggie27 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Y the cube must have a side of 4 inches only to fit in? Please help me understand.

Because the dimensions of a rectangular solid in which we should place a cube are 4 inches, 5 inches, and 8 inches. If the cube's side is more than 4 it won't fit in the rectangular solid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:

I was stuck. The answer here is 0.49 (on calculation). 2/5 = 0.4 and 10/17=0.59. Not sure which one is closer? : /
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Problem Solving (PS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts