Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 828 [2] , given: 82

The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:30) correct 29% (00:28) wrong based on 116 sessions
The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to survive on the planet because of factors such as inadequate food supplies, harsh weather, and an inability to adapt to the changing environment.

A) an inability
B) that they were unable
C) because they were unable
D) being unable
E) Lacking an ability

good explanations will receive kudos!!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [2] , given: 99

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
Answer choice C is correct..
because XXXX and because in parallel construction

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Last edited by skamal7 on 05 May 2013, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 11:41
You cannot write "inadequate food supplies" and "harsh weather" along with "an inability to adapt to the changing environment".
My answer C.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HKUST '15 (S)
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 6

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
skamal7 wrote:
Answer choice C is correct..
because XXXX and because in parallel construction

Had there been an "and" between the two examples "inadequate food supplies" and "harsh weather", your logic would've made perfect sense. But because it isn't and the two examples do not refer directly to the dinosaurs, the same should be true for the third example - an inability to....

IMO, the answer is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 99

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 12:28
Any solid reasons for elimination of choice E?

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HKUST '15 (S)
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 12:42
skamal7 wrote:
Any solid reasons for elimination of choice E?

"Lacking an ability" does not clearly tell you who lacks the particular ability and is not parallel with the first two factors since it can refer directly to the dinosaurs while the first two do not. The correct usage of E would have been - "their lack of an ability".
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 99

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
I think A should be right becoz when an articles like a,an,the is followed its a noun
Here in A An inabiity which is a noun and all the factors which are parallel are also noun..

So now leaning towards A

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 14:08
The inability is referring to the factor, so IMO
A should be the answer

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 57

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
I think its A.

The question ends with a list of factors A,B and C. Each of these factors is a noun preceded by an adjective ( noun phrase ) - inadequate food supplies, harsh weather and ....

The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to survive on the planet because of factors such as inadequate food supplies, harsh weather, and an inability to adapt to the changing environment.

A) an inability - It is a noun phrase which fits this sentence.
B) that they were unable - It is not parallel to the sentence structure.
C) because they were unable - parallelism breaks.
D) being unable - being unable is not correct. being seems to refer to present tense. The sentence already says that they failed to survive.
E) Lacking an ability - wordy, inability seems better.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 67

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 02:39
This post received
KUDOS
Vercules wrote:

Somebody failed something because of factors such as: noun, noun, and noun.

A) an inability
Noun. Correct.
B) that they were unable
Not parallel.
C) because they were unable
Not parallel.
D) being unable
If: because of + being unable -> then correct. But we have: because of factors such as: being unable -> not parallel to the nouns in the list.
E) Lacking an ability
Gerund is noun but worse parallel to simple nouns in the list.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 03:43
If option E is stated as "The lacking an ability will that be right?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 67

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 05:05
skamal7 wrote:
If option E is stated as "The lacking an ability will that be right?

As I wrote
HumptyDumpty wrote:
Quote:
E) Lacking an ability

Gerund is a noun but worse parallel to simple nouns in the list.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 05:43
use of "the"makes it a noun i guess ,which should be perfectly parallel?please correct me if this is wrong!! thanks in advance

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 18

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
since the underlined portion is not covering "and" that means all factors mentioned constitute one single list . Therefore to maintain parallelism within all factors A option is best . E option is a verb , D option being is wrong ...that and because also break parallelism .

Hence Answer should be A .
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 828 [1] , given: 82

Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nice explanation guys, updated the post with OA and OE

(A) an inability

CORRECT. The sentence contains a list of factors that kept the dinosaurs from surviving on Earth: "inadequate food supplies, harsh weather, and an inability to adapt to the changing environment." In lists of examples, all the examples must be parallel (in the same form). The list has, as its elements, nouns, which are parallel. Thus, this choice contains no error. If you understand the list, this is a pretty straightforward parallelism question.

(B) that they were unable

This choice a clause "that they were unable to communicate with Native Americans" is a part of the list instead of a noun, thus violating the parallelism.

(C) because they were unable

As in (B) this choice is incorrect because "and because they were unable to adapt …." is a clause rather than a noun, thus violating the parallelism.

(D) being unable

This choice is incorrect because "and being unable to ….." is a verb construction rather than a noun, thus violating the parallelism.

(E) Lacking an ability

This choice is incorrect because "and lacking ability to …." is a verb construction rather than a noun, thus violating the parallelism.

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

VP
VP
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 18:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The dinosaurs in the late cretaceous period failed to   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2014, 18:38