Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The director of a secondary school where many students were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The director of a secondary school where many students were [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 13:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
8. The director of a secondary school where many students were having severe academic problems impaneled a committee to study the matter. The committee reported that these students were having academic problems because they spent large amounts of time on school sports and too little time studying. The director then prohibited all students who were having academic problems from taking part in sports in which they were active. He stated that this would ensure that such students would do well academically.

The reasoning on which the director bases his statement is not sound because he fails to establish that

(A) some students who spend time on sports do not have academic problems
(B) all students who do well academically do so because of time saved by not participating in sports
(C) at least some of the time the students will save by not participating in sports will be spent on solving their academic problems
(D) no students who do well academically spend time on sports
(E) the quality of the school’s sports program would not suffer as a result of the ban
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 17:37
B ... it is
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 18:15
Yup, B. he concludes his conclusion without establishing this relationship described in B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 18:38
(B) all students who do well academically do so because of time saved by not participating in sports
- The director assumes that by not participating in sports, the student's results will improve. But he has not established whether this fact is true. B is the best answer
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Answer [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 16:12
The OA is C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Answer [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2005, 10:49
WinWinMBA wrote:
The OA is C.

WinWin, kindly post the OE to this question. I do not understand why it is (C). Anyone understands? Kindly help.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2005, 11:23
I do not have the OE, however, acording to the stimulus:

"The director of a secondary school where many students were having severe academic problems impaneled a committee to study the matter. The committee reported that these students were having academic problems because they spent large amounts of time on school sports and too little time studying. The director then prohibited all students who were having academic problems from taking part in sports in which they were active. He stated that this would ensure that such students would do well academically"

The director did NOT prohit all students from doing sports. Only those with academic difficulties. So it implies some students can in fact excel in academics + play sports.

Thus B is incorrect.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2005, 08:54
WinWinMBA wrote:
I do not have the OE, however, acording to the stimulus:

"The director of a secondary school where many students were having severe academic problems impaneled a committee to study the matter. The committee reported that these students were having academic problems because they spent large amounts of time on school sports and too little time studying. The director then prohibited all students who were having academic problems from taking part in sports in which they were active. He stated that this would ensure that such students would do well academically"

The director did NOT prohit all students from doing sports. Only those with academic difficulties. So it implies some students can in fact excel in academics + play sports.

Thus B is incorrect.

yeah, WinWin, i agree on the falsity of B, but truly, i had no correct answer of all the choices.

I expect an argument that says something like, 'the time students save from not participating in sports may be used in other irrelevant activities rather than their academics.'

(Since the principal concludes that his proposal will ensure that student's academic performance improve).

By the way, thanks a great deal for all the questions! It's helping me a lot to improve my CR.
  [#permalink] 08 Jun 2005, 08:54