Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The director of programming at NNN, the National News

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 20

The director of programming at NNN, the National News [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 20:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

74% (02:44) correct 26% (01:11) wrong based on 27 sessions
The director of programming at NNN, the National News Network, proclaimed that, despite charges to the contrary, the Network does not have a conservative bias. The director acknowledged that, when a liberal news personality was recently added to the Network, an additional conservative news program was also established. However, the director argued that far from demonstrating any bias, these actions reflect a commitment to presenting a balanced perspective in interpreting current events.

Which of the following pieces of information would be most useful in evaluating the validity of the programming director’s argument?
1) The Network has established an additional liberal news program whenever an additional conservative news personality has been added.
2) The Network airs a program focused largely on the opinions of its viewers on contemporary issues.
3) The newly added liberal news personality came from a rival network with an acknowledged liberal bias.
4) The newly added liberal news personality has indicated that he has not felt any editorial pressure in his new environment.
5) The viewer ratings of the Network have been lower this past year than in previous years.

Can someone explain that about what director is arguing in the passage?
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 276 [2] , given: 11

Re: News Network Director [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
The director is refuting the charge that NNN has a bias towards being conservative. Recently, the channel hired a liberal news personality, which should have made the channel more liberal (as it has one more person who has liberal views, as opposed to conservative). However, in response, the channel added an additional conservative news program.

To an outsider, this would seem that the channel tried to maintain its bias for being conservative by trying to neutralize the effect of one additional liberal news anchor through an additional conservative news program. This is the charge that is made against the news network.

However, the director refutes the charge by saying that the conservative news program helped to balance the effect of added liberalism in the news network through the liberal anchor - it was an attempt on the part of the news channel to help maintained a balanced perspective, not to 'make up' for the presence of more liberalism (through the new anchor) by introducing more conservatism (through the news program). In summation, the director is saying that the news network strives to provide a balanced perspective to its viewers, not to maintain a bias towards conservatism.

So in this question, the correct answer choice is (1).

1) If the news network has always established an additional liberal news program whenever a new conservative personality has joined, it shows the commitment of the network to balance out liberalism and conservatism IN THE SAME WAY as it has in the question stem. Therefore this is the right choice.
2) Even if the network airs one program focused on the opinions of its viewers, that does not make it committed to showing the balanced perspective as a whole (there could be many more program not focused on viewer opinion).
3) This is irrelevant to the argument
4) Even if the new personality has not felt any editorial pressure, we cannot comment on the situation in general.
5) Viewer rating has no relation to the new network showing a balanced perspective.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: News Network Director [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 21:27
A for me as well.

All other choices are either irrelevant or vaguely related.

Crick
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: News Network Director [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 21:45
agdimple333 wrote:
Can someone explain that about what director is arguing in the passage?

The director of programming at NNN, the National News Network, proclaimed that, despite charges to the contrary, the Network does not have a conservative bias. The director acknowledged that, when a liberal news personality was recently added to the Network, an additional conservative news program was also established. However, the director argued that far from demonstrating any bias, these actions reflect a commitment to presenting a balanced perspective in interpreting current events.

Which of the following pieces of information would be most useful in evaluating the validity of the programming director’s argument?
1) The Network has established an additional liberal news program whenever an additional conservative news personality has been added.
2) The Network airs a program focused largely on the opinions of its viewers on contemporary issues.
3) The newly added liberal news personality came from a rival network with an acknowledged liberal bias.
4) The newly added liberal news personality has indicated that he has not felt any editorial pressure in his new environment.
5) The viewer ratings of the Network have been lower this past year than in previous years.

Director says the channel is not biased toward Republican party, because whenever it added a Democrat supporter in its channel, it also added a republican party supportive program. Director justifies this scenario as balanced.

A) tells the same in reverse order: When the network hired republican party supporter, it also added a democratic party supportive program.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: News Network Director [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 22:21
Found A to be the most relevant one , what would be most useful to check is whether conservative prg are being introduced in a shadow or support of some other thing (in this case it is the liberal prg).

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: News Network Director [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 22:23
Ohh btw I clocked it in 1:40 , it should not have taken more than 1:20 , i was getting used to the interface , my fisrt attempt here

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: News Network Director [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 06:39
I choose option A
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: News Network Director [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 11:59
Chose A

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 235

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The director of programming at NNN, the National News [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 05:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The director of programming at NNN, the National News   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2013, 05:44