Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The distance between the two runners, which is over 50

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
The distance between the two runners, which is over 50 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

58% (01:20) correct 42% (00:05) wrong based on 12 sessions
The distance between the two runners, which is over 50 meters, cannot be made up with only three laps to go in the race.

A)The distance between the two runners, which is over 50 meters
B) The distance between the two runners, who is over 50 meters
C) The distance between the two runners, whom is over 50 meters
D) The distance between the two runners, that is over 50 meters
E) The distance between the two runners, whoever is over 50 meters

B, C, and E are thrown out because the relative pronoun is referring to the distance and not the runners.

My question:
Why is which preferred over that in this situation?
Isn't the information that the distance is over 50 meters necessary? "That" would restrict the distance to "50 meters".

Source: PowerScore
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

make each day your masterpiece

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Which/That ? detailing measure of distance between runners [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 21:11
Yup, i have the same q. Which always modifies the one which is right before it? Don't it?
In this case it is two runners.

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which/That ? detailing measure of distance between runners [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
asax wrote:
Yup, i have the same q. Which always modifies the one which is right before it? Don't it?

Hmm, I'd take that rule with some caution. I do not believe that rule is set in stone. In this situation, the subject is distance and "runners" is the object of a prepositional phrase. Take a look at this link: http://gmatclub.com/blog/2012/04/that-v ... orrection/

It didn't really clarify which versus that in this specific example for me though.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Which/That ? detailing measure of distance between runners [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 22:25
Thanks damham17!

I guess here "which" means, it could be > 50 meter [Non restrictive]?

Like:
The distance between two runners, which is over 50 meters, cannot be made up with only three laps to go in the race.

The distance between two runners that is 50 meters, cannot be made up with only three laps to go in the race.

am i right?

---
bschooladmit

Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which/That ? detailing measure of distance between runners [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 22:34
You may have overlooked it, but your example with "that" omits the word over and that changes the meaning of the sentence. The answer choices did not omit over.

I tried to poke holes in my answer choice of "that" and this is what I came up with:

The distance between two runners, which is over 50 meters, cannot be made up with only three laps to go in the race.
The distance between two runners, that is over 50 meters cannot be made up with only three laps to go in the race.

Ignore which and that, but instead pay attention to "cannot be made up with only three laps to go in the race." The meaning of the sentence does not change whether or not we include details about the distance. It is stated that it cannot be made up so non restrictive seems appropriate.

Another huge thing that I did not even notice till now is the usage of commas. The comma preceding that is incorrect!!! I cannot believe I missed such an easy tell.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Which/That ? detailing measure of distance between runners [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 23:30
yup, i notice it just now :)

---
bschooladmit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 36

Re: Which/That ? detailing measure of distance between runners [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 23:54
In general, "that" is used when the clause is necessary to the sentence. In addition, "that" is used exlusive of a comma. So we'll go with which here.

As noted, obviously eliminate B, C, and D.

Difficulty of this problem is IMO < 650.
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which/That ? detailing measure of distance between runners [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 19:25
Expert's post
asax wrote:
Which modifies the noun or noun phrase immediately before it.

Because "which is" cannot modify the plural "runners" it modifies the entire phrase "the distance between two runners"

Compare to "The speed of the car, which is 50 miles per hour,..." This sentence likely would not appear in a correct GMAT answer, because the "which is" could refer grammatically to both "the car" and to "the speed of the car."

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Which/That ? detailing measure of distance between runners   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2012, 19:25