Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Re: The distinctive yellow-green colors of Vincent van Gogh's [#permalink]
C
B&D - the two other choices are looked at, seem to be identical to me
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
The point of the passage is - The yellow-green color in VG's painting may be due to Drug Digitalis.
How is the author making this point? by providing evidences
A- not A because there is no clear indication of the cause(because VG used Drug Ditialis in his paintings) and the effect (the yellow green color in VG's paintings)
B- circumstantial evidence is indirect evidence. It is the cirumstances that surrond the facts that can be used to prove a point. In our case- Dr's potrait happen to have the plant from which the drug is made. Therefore VG used it in his painting. a good try but is still too far fetched.
so B maybe.
C - yes, its clear that there is connection between Drug and VG's paintings but I am not convinced if that is strong evidence to prove the point.
D- I strongly feel that the author is proving the point by citing some form of documented evidence ( Dr's potrait with the plant from which the drug is made-Dr is VG's physician). Whether we are convinced is another issue but the author is making a point by citing specific documented facts.
E- is out of scope.
so between B and D, I tend to choose D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Send PM
Anonymous wrote:
The point of the passage is - The yellow-green color in VG's painting may be due to Drug Digitalis.
A- not A because there is no clear indication of the cause(because VG used Drug Ditialis in his paintings) and the effect (the yellow green color in VG's paintings)
B- circumstantial evidence is indirect evidence. It is the cirumstances that surrond the facts that can be used to prove a point. In our case- Dr's potrait happen to have the plant from which the drug is made. Therefore VG used it in his painting. a good try but is still too far fetched.
so B maybe.
C - yes, its clear that there is connection between Drug and VG's paintings but I am not convinced if that is strong evidence to prove the point.
D- I strongly feel that the author is proving the point by citing some form of documented evidence ( Dr's potrait with the plant from which the drug is made-Dr is VG's physician). Whether we are convinced is another issue but the author is making a point by citing specific documented facts.
E- is out of scope.

I'll go with C
I agree with ur point on D ... but shouldn't we consider this to be out of scope?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Anonymous wrote:
so B maybe.
E- is out of scope.

The author ventures that a certain drug may have inspired VG’s paintings. It is clear that s/he does not have any solid evidence that would stand in court; note the choice of words. Yes, digitalis was a commonly prescribed drug but whether VG used it at all or was addicted to it we cannot ascertain. Yes, some doctor treated VG, but whether VG was treated from one disease or other we have no way of knowing. Yes, the good doctor is holding a bunch of flowers from which the drug is made, but to say that this is documentary evidence of some sort or that there is a double-entendre would be making unwarranted inferences. I believe this is exactly what they call circumstantial evidence (B). Just my two cents.

Originally posted by ob on 09 Jun 2004, 02:12.
Last edited by ob on 09 Jun 2004, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
My choice (B),
(D) is close but I don't believe that it is correct because passage doesn't connect digitalis to van Gogh's paintings, passage merely states that it is evident that the cause of Van Gogh's specific color effects were generated by digitalis held by physician(I presume) and this was just circumstantial(the tone of passage sounds like it).

What's the OA.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
well, B is OA on this one. This is Peterson's LSAT question. There are no official explanations given but I am not too fond of this question either. I'll try to find some better ones next time :P

PS :btw nice reasoning ob
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
The distinctive yellow-green colors of Vincent van Gogh's paintings may have resulted from now known side effects of the drug digitalis. Digitalis was a commonly prescribed drug during the time van Gogh lived, and in portraits of the physician who treated van Gogh, he is holding a branch of foxglove, the plant from which digitalis is made.

This sentence uses modifiers wrongly, got B, anyway.
author tried a nexus between the drug and the effect. From the last sentence it can be inferred that foxglove would have caused the effect and the painting testifies the presence of foxglove during Gogh's time. [/quote]

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts