Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 01:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (02:27) correct 34% (01:31) wrong based on 171 sessions
The “Doppler effect” refers to the perceived change in pitch that occurs when the source of a sound is in motion relative to the observer. For example, the siren on a passing police car will sound higher than its true pitch as the car approaches, sound the same as its true pitch as the car passes, and sound lower than its true pitch as the car travels away from the observer.

If two trains pass each other going opposite directions on parallel east-west tracks, which of the following observations provides another illustration of the effect described above?

(A) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the westbound train will hear a sound that decreases in pitch.

(B) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the westbound train will hear a sound that increases in pitch.

(C) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the eastbound train will hear a sound that decreases in pitch.

(D) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the eastbound train will hear a sound that increases in pitch.

(E) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the eastbound train will hear a sound that is steady in pitch.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 02:37
While E seems ok, it doesn't demonstrate Doppler effect.

Therefore, (A) wins.

east Hzzz..
======>...
.......<======
west

West train is passing east, and passangers in west WILL hear decreasing in pitch horn. Since just after passing, east travels away from passangers in west

So, A

skim wrote:
The “Doppler effect” refers to the perceived change in pitch that occurs when the source of a sound is in motion relative to the observer. For example, the siren on a passing police car will sound higher than its true pitch as the car approaches, sound the same as its true pitch as the car passes, and sound lower than its true pitch as the car travels away from the observer.

If two trains pass each other going opposite directions on parallel east-west tracks, which of the following observations provides another illustration of the effect described above?

(A) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the westbound train will hear a sound that decreases in pitch.

(B) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the westbound train will hear a sound that increases in pitch.

(C) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the eastbound train will hear a sound that decreases in pitch.

(D) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the eastbound train will hear a sound that increases in pitch.

(E) If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass, passengers on the eastbound train will hear a sound that is steady in pitch.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 07:57
I think it should be A. E is true but is not an example of the doppler effect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 10:30
A is the best answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 08:39
We can eliminate C, D, E because there is no mention of the second train, and to illustrate the Doppler effect, we need two sources to ensure the relativity between the source of the sound and the receiver of this sound.
About A, it's not so sure, because it's depend where you sit. For example if you sit at the end of the westbound train, you will hear a increase in pitch because the train is approaching, then a decrease in pitch because the train is going away. Therefore the answer can be also B, depending where you sit.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 20:55
Answer B.
I would assume based on the stem that the trains are approaching each other and therefore by Doppler effect passengers in the westbound train would find an increase in sound.

Thanks,
Tuhin

A kudos would greatly help :)

Tuhin

Intern
Intern
Schools: Any offering one year MBA
WE 1: Information Tech
WE 2: Event Consultant for FIFA addi events and WC

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 22:44
blows its horn as they pass

This means that the trains are passing each other and at that point of time the horn is honked.

The engine part of the train situated at the front will have the horn. This would mean the passengers on the westbound train will hear a honk from the engine of the east bound and as the engine passes the each compartment of the westbound train hence the passengers westbound train will experience the increase in the pitch as it passes.

As option B states the same, IMO it is B.

K 4 KUDOS

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 05:10
The OA is A, it is a question from Manhattan GMAT questions bank, however the MGMAT staff admits this question is ambiguous, and should be revised to make it clearer. so my previous post makes sense.

Source :
As a new member, I can't post an U R L, but you can refer to Manhattangmat forum website, then serch the doppler effect
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 05:56
shud be A .....
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 10:01
I totally disagree with A, actually none of the answer choices seem correct.

Question states
1) sound higher than its true pitch as the car approaches,
2) sound the same as its true pitch as the car passes,
3) sound lower than its true pitch as the car travels away

All the answer choices say as they pass, The only valid answer is E, however it doesn't illustrates the effect of Doppler effect, as the listeners and the train are not in relative motion.

Rock On

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 13:33
IMO its A if i consider my prev knowledge of doppler effect but going LITERALLY by the question as pointed by atish it seems none of the choices...
Ambiguous it is then!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 974

GMAT Tests User
Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 01:37
One can find the ambiquity of this test question when one brings together opinions of ludwigfraboulet and atish above!

ludwigfraboulet wrote:
We can eliminate C, D, E because there is no mention of the second train, and to illustrate the Doppler effect, we need two sources to ensure the relativity between the source of the sound and the receiver of this sound.
About A, it's not so sure, because it's depend where you sit. For example if you sit at the end of the westbound train, you will hear a increase in pitch because the train is approaching, then a decrease in pitch because the train is going away. Therefore the answer can be also B, depending where you sit.

atish wrote:
All the answer choices say as they pass, The only valid answer is E, however it doesn't illustrates the effect of Doppler effect, as the listeners and the train are not in relative motion.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 06:43
I still remember Doppler effect until now. So A easily.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIMA (PGPX), IIMB (EMBA) & IIMC..

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 24

Re: Doppler Effect [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 17:15
Given the choices...A is best
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 07:30
what kind of CR question is this? :shock:
under which category does this fall?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 23:01
Its A, which can be clearly inferred from the argument.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 11:38
I beg to differ from all of you. In case of E, since the passengers in the east bound train are sitting in the train, their relative velocity with respect to the train is zero. Hence, they should hear the horn at a steady pitch.

Hence, in my opinion answer should be E. Eagerly awaiting for the OA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 19:35
' If the eastbound train blows its horn as they pass' Does this say, whether two trains are approaching or going away from each other?

If they are going away, Answer is (A) ===A==> <====B===
If trains are approaching, Answer is (B) <==B== ===A==>
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 20:08
itsmeabhi99 wrote:
I beg to differ from all of you. In case of E, since the passengers in the east bound train are sitting in the train, their relative velocity with respect to the train is zero. Hence, they should hear the horn at a steady pitch.

Hence, in my opinion answer should be E. Eagerly awaiting for the OA.

Dear itsmeabhi99, the argument does not mention the effect that has been stated in option E. If it were in practical world, I would have said yes in a general discussion, but here we have to strictly stick to what has been mentioned in the stimulus.

I hope you get it right.. :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 1.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 12:14
:| hi,

eastward tr==========>
west word train <=1======2===.

1,2 represent passengers with the position of the trains.

for 1 pitch will decrease whereas for 2 it will increase(at least till train pass 2)
I feel OA would be E and question is ambiguous.
Re: The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2013, 12:14