Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Nov 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 739 [0], given: 40

The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 03:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (02:54) correct 22% (02:05) wrong based on 649 sessions
The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is about 3,000 years old. Recently, however, 4,500-year-old stone agricultural implements were unearthed at Colha. These implements resemble Mayan stone implements of a much later period, also found at Colha. Moreover, the implements’ designs are strikingly different from the designs of stone implements produced by other cultures known to have inhabited the area in prehistoric times. Therefore, there were surely Mayan settlements in Colha 4,500 years ago.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Ceramic ware is not known to have been used by the Mayan people to make agricultural implements.
(B) Carbon-dating of corn pollen in Colha indicates that agriculture began there around 4,500 years ago.
(C) Archaeological evidence indicates that some of the oldest stone implements found at Colha were used to cut away vegetation after controlled burning of trees to open areas of swampland for cultivation.
(D) Successor cultures at a given site often adopt the style of agricultural implements used by earlier inhabitants of the same site.
(E) Many religious and social institutions of the Mayan people who inhabited Colha 3,000 years ago relied on a highly developed system of agricultural symbols.

This is an OG question and I am not convinced with the explaination, though marked the correct OA by PoE.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 0

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
ykaiim wrote:
The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is about 3,000 years old. Recently, however, 4,500-year-old stone agricultural implements were unearthed at Colha. These implements resemble Mayan stone implements of a much later period, also found at Colha. Moreover, the implements’ designs are strikingly different from the designs of stone implements produced by other cultures known to have inhabited the area in prehistoric times. Therefore, there were surely Mayan settlements in Colha 4,500 years ago.

(A) Ceramic ware is not known to have been used by the Mayan people to make agricultural implements.
(B) Carbon-dating of corn pollen in Colha indicates that agriculture began there around 4,500 years ago.
(C) Archaeological evidence indicates that some of the oldest stone implements found at Colha were used to cut away vegetation after controlled burning of trees to open areas of swampland for cultivation.
(D) Successor cultures at a given site often adopt the style of agricultural implements used by earlier inhabitants of the same site.
(E) Many religious and social institutions of the Mayan people who inhabited Colha 3,000 years ago relied on a highly developed system of agricultural symbols.

This is an OG question and I am not convinced with the explaination, though marked the correct OA by PoE.

Even I think it's not one of the cleanest question.

IMO, the answer is D.

Reason: We are sure that Mayan lived 3000 ag0 (From the pottery)...
THEN >> We found an old stone(4500 yrs old) which looks like the implements used by the Mayan
Argument says: Mayan lived 4500 yrs ago..

Flaw: What if they(Mayan) just have borrowed the design for their implements and their implements are same as the old implement..!!(Just an example)..

So, the option D: Normally cultures uses the design developed by early inhabitants....so the stone design was copied (Copyright case..!!) and now other implement (3000 yr old) look same as the older one (4000 yr old).

Hope this helps..
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 230 [1] , given: 6

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
I picked (D) but I think (E) came very close too.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 02:59
nverma wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

Even I think it's not one of the cleanest question.

IMO, the answer is D.

Reason: We are sure that Mayan lived 3000 ag0 (From the pottery)...
THEN >> We found an old stone(4500 yrs old) which looks like the implements used by the Mayan
Argument says: Mayan lived 4500 yrs ago..

Flaw: What if they(Mayan) just have borrowed the design for their implements and their implements are same as the old implement..!!(Just an example)..

So, the option D: Normally cultures uses the design developed by early inhabitants....so the stone design was copied (Copyright case..!!) and now other implement (3000 yr old) look same as the older one (4000 yr old).

Hope this helps..

Chose D for exactly the same reasons .

What is the OA ykaiim .. you havn't been posting OAs lately.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 739 [0], given: 40

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 10:28
OA is D.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 19:59
thanks for the confirmation.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
I can't make any connections between the stem to A,B,C and E. Only D makes sense by providing alternative explanation to the implements (whatever it was!!)
stem: Mayan dated at 3000 ago
Earlier implement dated at 4500 ago
Mayan's implement resembled earlier implement
therefore Mayan dated to 4500 ago

Choice D:Mayan dated at 3000 ago
Earlier implement dated at 4500 ago
Mayan's implement resembled earlier implement
therefore Mayan copied earlier culture
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 27

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 07:04
The answer is D.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 07:13
+1 D

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 01:08
Not sure but D
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 02:13

Premise: Earliest Mayan pottery 3000 years old
But X that is 4500 years old also found
X different from all the other things made 4500 years ago
X resembles things that were made by mayans much later in the same place
Conclusion: Hence, Mayans were there 4500 years ago

(A) Ceramic ware is not known to have been used by the Mayan people to make agricultural implements. Irrelevant Nothing about Ceramic mentioned.
(B) Carbon-dating of corn pollen in Colha indicates that agriculture began there around 4,500 years ago. Talks about agriculture. The discussion is not about agriculture. It is about whether mayans were there 4500 years ago
(C) Archaeological evidence indicates that some of the oldest stone implements found at Colha were used to cut away vegetation after controlled burning of trees to open areas of swampland for cultivation. Irrelevant
(D) Successor cultures(Mayans of a much later period) at a given site often adopt the style of agricultural implements used by earlier inhabitants of the same site. This is the only option that weakens the argument. This statement says that other cultures at the same place adopt the style of agri. impl. used by earlier cultures in the same place. . Hence, those ppl who lived 4500 years ago may not have been mayans.
(E) Many religious and social institutions of the Mayan people who inhabited Colha 3,000 years ago relied on a highly developed system of agricultural symbols. Irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 02:19
+1 D

I think is a variant of an offical guide question.

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 4

Re: The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 15:21
This post received
KUDOS
Agreed that the answer is D. I chose D too. But, in hindsight, I have one doubt.

See, the argument as follows:-

4500-yr old Stone implements found at Colha, which resemble ones used by Mayans at a later date. Fine.
But, the style and design of these implements hasn't been seen before in any culture. This means that this was a new style, never existed before.

Then how is D correct which says that Mayans copied this style from some other culture? So how can the Mayans take this / copy this style from any other culture? Because the stem says that "no culture ever had such style... "

Please help..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Re: The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 22:06
It should be D.

In D, reason is given for the cause of the reason: why 4500 years old stones were found.

If you think you are lost, you are.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Mayan pottery found at Colha [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 01:22
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
The answer is D.

In the stem it is clearly mentioned that "prehistoric" not "4500 + years ago" or "4600 years ago"... hence option D opens the possibility that Mayans could have copied those implements from inhabitants who lived there earlier.And those inhabitants or their ancestors are the ones who changed the agricultural implements to look different from how it looked in PREHISTORIC times.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 11:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 06:28
talismaaniac wrote:
Agreed that the answer is D. I chose D too. But, in hindsight, I have one doubt.

See, the argument as follows:-

4500-yr old Stone implements found at Colha, which resemble ones used by Mayans at a later date. Fine.
But, the style and design of these implements hasn't been seen before in any culture. This means that this was a new style, never existed before.

Then how is D correct which says that Mayans copied this style from some other culture? So how can the Mayans take this / copy this style from any other culture? Because the stem says that "no culture ever had such style... "

Please help..

I have the exact same doubt.. OG 's explanation are useless
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 00:28
I eliminated (D), because I assumed that the stem already offered a premise that "the designs are strikingly different from the designs of the stone implements produced by other cultures known to have inhabited the area in PREHISTORIC times."

IMO, it all boils down to whether 4500 years ago (or approx. 2500 years B.C.) is PREHISTORIC. After thinking a bit about it, I would say NO. So therefore => (D). But I still don't understand why this question is ranked as "Hard" and I still think it's tricky.

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Intern
Intern
Schools: Erasmus '15

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2014, 03:06
My answer was also (D) but I've the same doubts as himanshujovi and talismaaniac.... as D just canceled the fact stated in the argument about strikingly different designs

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.84
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User
The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2014, 11:37
seekmba wrote:
I picked (D) but I think (E) came very close too.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: Can someone explain in detail why option E was eliminated? :beatup
The earliest Mayan pottery found at Colha, in Belize, is   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2014, 11:37