Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The early questions to worth more right....?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 16:44
I would also be interested in seeing this diagram if you can find it.

icandy wrote:
Good to know :) Let us know what you dig out or post some thing more you know.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8791 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 23:24
Expert's post
There is also a relevant thread that was started by BSD_Lover last year titled (Un) Scientifid Analysis of GMAT Prep
un-scientific-analysis-of-gmatprep-64970.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 01:37
barnum wrote:
The psychometrician also did actually tell me that the algorithm used on the GMATprep software is exactly the same as the one used on the real exam.

This is great to know! I'll be waiting for your write up. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 17:49
Pathfinder wrote:
shaselai wrote:
wow. Would this apply to Verbal too? Because that would really help(at least make me feel better :) )

Ha ha ha, dream on :) If that were true, 99 %-ile wouldn't have started at 45 on Verbal. No my friend, Verbal penalize each and every mistake you made.

Yep - I got 8 questions wrong on the PREP and the scaled score was 42. No two questions wrong in a stretch. Verbal is less forgiving.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 05:45
I tried this strategy on my first try of the GMAT (Dec 2007).

It did NOT work for me (low 600s). I ended up running out of time and missing some easy questions on the end of the quant section.

I tried the average of 2 mins/question on take 2 (June 2009), and did much better (broke 700).

It does appear that getting early questions right will get you to harder questions sooner, but if you crash and burn at the end on questions that are rated lower than 700-800 difficulty, your score will crash and burn. That much I can assure (from personal experience).

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 09:13
I tried to post the website, but the board said I need at least five posts to do so.
Intern
Intern

Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 09:15
So now I am adding some posts to my count so I can link to the site. Anyway, once there, you should clink on "Let's get started."

This will take you to a place where you can play with what would happen if an average test-taker got the first few right, what would happen to their score and how the rest of the test would likely play out.
Intern
Intern

Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 09:17
There is just a ton of information at this site to read through, so that you can see how all the stats are calculated. I may be a bit of a nerd, but I personally find it all quite fascinating.
Intern
Intern

Re: The early questions to worth more right....? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 09:18
Ok now that I have five posts, let's see if this works. Here's the site

http://edres.org/scripts/cat/
Re: The early questions to worth more right....?   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2009, 09:18