Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The earth s resources are being depleted much too fast. To

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

The earth s resources are being depleted much too fast. To [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 23:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The earth’s resources are being depleted much too fast. To correct this, the United States must keep its resource consumption at present levels for many years to come.

The argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Per capita resource consumption in the United States is at an all-time high.
(B) The United States wastes resources.
(C) The United States uses more resources than any other country.
(D) The United States imports most of the resources it uses.
(E) Curbing U.S. resource consumption will significantly retard world resource depletion.

------------------------------

only if i could choose....

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : America-natural resources [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 00:11
crazyfin wrote:
The earth’s resources are being depleted much too fast. To correct this, the United States must keep its resource consumption at present levels for many years to come.

The argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Per capita resource consumption in the United States is at an all-time high.
(B) The United States wastes resources.
(C) The United States uses more resources than any other country.
(D) The United States imports most of the resources it uses.
(E) Curbing U.S. resource consumption will significantly retard world resource depletion.

The conclusion here is in the last sentence: "the United States must keep its resource consumption at present levels for many years to come." My gut tells me that the earth's resources are depleting at an accelerating rate. However, the current rate of depletion is a level that the United States can absorb "for many years to come".

But given the choices, which does not include my gut choice, I would choose E. All the choices focus on the United States and all the choices but E mention something not stated or implied in the premise and conclusion...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 00:46
I have got down to 2 choices - (C) and (E).
Correct me if I am wrong but I think that (E) would be more suitable as a conclusion, so I ll go with (C)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 00:48
pgatul wrote:
I have got down to 2 choices - (C) and (E).
Correct me if I am wrong but I think that (E) would be more suitable as a conclusion, so I ll go with (C)

i also chose C but its wrong. E is quite specific and restricitnve in using the word "curbing"...

OA is E

------------------------------

only if i could choose....

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 13:46
I was gonna pick E too.

hey ya......

[#permalink] 23 Sep 2005, 13:46