Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Economist Reading Comprehension Challenge #3

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 117 [6] , given: 12

The Economist Reading Comprehension Challenge #3 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

Here is the 3rd installment in the ERCC. This week we have a short but interesting topic. I hope that you enjoy it. For more information and more Economist RC challenges take a look here: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Happy Studies,

HG.

Fair or Foul: http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21576688-unpaid-student-athletes-are-heart-multi-billion-dollar-industry-fair-or-foul

The supporters of not paying student athletes would most likely agree with which of the following statements?

A. A university should maximize profit only if that profit is used to improve the quality of that university’s education

B. A university can maximize profit derived from students and not be morally obliged to share the profit with the students

C. There should be a limit imposed on the amount of profit that a university can make from student athletes

D. Student athletes should not only be compensated with a free education

E. Although the current rules governing student athletes should be modified, student athletes should not receive more than a free education in compensation for their participation in university athletics.

If the lawsuit referred to in the 6th paragraph is successful, it can be reasonably inferred that:

A. Athletes who no longer participate in university athletics may benefit financially.

B. The directors of several major university athletics programs may be forced to retire.

C. The NCAA would be forced to revise all of the rules governing the compensation of student athletes

D. Elite players would benefit more than the rest of the student athletes

E. Current players would profit more than past players regardless of the length of time participating in the athletics program.

According to the passage, a university that chooses to pay its athletes would:

A. provide a portion of the licensing profits related to a specific athlete to that athlete rather than pay the athletes based on seniority

B. pay all the athletes equally regardless of each individual athletes marketability

C. regardless of university policy be in violation of a policy of the NCAA

D. be supported in that decision by most athletes

E. most likely earn more total profit

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1. B
2. A
3. C

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 61

Premium Member
Re: The Economist Reading Comprehension Challenge #3 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 21:35
Hi HerrGrau, please explain to me why the answer in question 1 is B , not E.
In my opinion, because the article says, in the 4th paragraph, that ".....defenders of the system say that is plenty", the defenders would most likely agree with the idea of not paying students more than a free education, they are not concerned with the university maximizing profit. My answer is E
Thank you.

Life is not easy
I knew that and now I don't even expect life to be easy

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: The Economist Reading Comprehension Challenge #3 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 06:57
The supporters of not paying student athletes would most likely agree with which of the following statements?
E

If the lawsuit referred to in the 6th paragraph is successful, it can be reasonably inferred that:
C

According to the passage, a university that chooses to pay its athletes would:
C
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 611 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Economist Reading Comprehension Challenge #3 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 10:11
thanks grau.. :-D

this passage was really interesting.

great work

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 12

Re: The Economist Reading Comprehension Challenge #3 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 13:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

Thank you for participating! I agree with what you are saying but answer E also says that these people think the system should be modified. That is not stated in the passage. This is half right and half wrong. B goes along with the idea that university can make money off of the students and not share the money with the students. This is supported in the passage. Let me know if you have any further questions on this. I should be posting a new article this week.

Happy Studies,

HG

retailingvnsupernova wrote:
Hi HerrGrau, please explain to me why the answer in question 1 is B , not E.
In my opinion, because the article says, in the 4th paragraph, that ".....defenders of the system say that is plenty", the defenders would most likely agree with the idea of not paying students more than a free education, they are not concerned with the university maximizing profit. My answer is E
Thank you.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Re: The Economist Reading Comprehension Challenge #3   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2013, 13:33