Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 10:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:22) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs
B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing
C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs
D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs
E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

I debated over B & D, finally picked D.......views????

Last edited by singh_amit19 on 18 Oct 2007, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 11:01
singh_amit19 wrote:
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs
B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing
C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs
D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs
E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

Hmm, after reading some of your posts, I feel like you and I did the same sets last night (21 or 26, can't remember). I got this one wrong, but don't agree with OA. I feel that the idiom is "claim to be" and it is down to A or B. A has no clear reference for "it" because it can refers to company or camcorder. In B, the modifier is misplaced, so I was torn between the two.
I picked A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 11:12
bkk145 wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:

Hmm, after reading some of your posts, I feel like you and I did the same sets last night (21 or 26, can't remember). I got this one wrong, but don't agree with OA. I feel that the idiom is "claim to be" and it is down to A or B. A has no clear reference for "it" because it can refers to company or camcorder. In B, the modifier is misplaced, so I was torn between the two.
I picked A.

Hahahaha...that's funny! Anyways, back to business.....it's a 3-2 split, and if i were to pick between A vs. B, i will vouch for B - since A has an awkward construction.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 11:31
Here is my thought process

A -> out because "it" in last part has no clear antecedent. It can refer to handheld computer also while it should clearly refer to camcorder
b-> out again because "which" here refers to the world and it shouldn't . Remeber when using which after a comma, the which refers to a subject
just before the comma
c -> Again which issue
D -> Right choice
E -> out because weighing here looks like it modifies the length

Any comments in my explanation?

singh_amit19 wrote:

--gregspirited

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 11:41
gregspirited wrote:
Here is my thought process

A -> out because "it" in last part has no clear antecedent. It can refer to handheld computer also while it should clearly refer to camcorder
b-> out again because "which" here refers to the world and it shouldn't . Remeber when using which after a comma, the which refers to a subject
just before the comma
c -> Again which issue
D -> Right choice
E -> out because weighing here looks like it modifies the length

Any comments in my explanation?

singh_amit19 wrote:

We both vouched for D, BUT if u try to re-look at choice D there is a problem...."claims is" , i don't think this can be correct the correct form will be "claims that" or claims + infinitive"....so B

Great explanations though!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 11:49
Where do you guys get these questions? Pretty nice. Looks like a real GMAT test questions. Can you provide the sources? Is it from this club or some other place

--gregspirited

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 12:05
gregspirited wrote:
Where do you guys get these questions? Pretty nice. Looks like a real GMAT test questions. Can you provide the sources? Is it from this club or some other place

I got the sets as part of LEGACY from my friends & college seniors, who took the GMAT long back. They told me that they bought it from scoretop.com

Cheers!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 33

Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 18:17
singh_amit19 wrote:

I debated between D and E and finally picked "D". Why did you think of choosing the "B", your comments?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 18:56
singh_amit19 wrote:

This can't be B. B incorrectly uses which. In B which causes the modifier " is as long as a handheld computer" to world. Suggesting that the world is only this long.

proper idiom of claim requires to be in front of claim or infinitive "to+verb"

I vote for A. However, I don't like A. I think it has a pronoun issue with "it" could refer to computer or camcorder.

Honestly, if it weren't for the idiom rules (which I think I have right) id go for D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:30
Can anybody tell me the flaw in the reasoning?

if u try to look at choice D there is a problem...."claims is" , i don't think this can be correct the correct form will be "claims that" or claims + infinitive"....so B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:31
LM wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:

I debated between D and E and finally picked "D". Why did you think of choosing the "B", your comments?

if u try to look at choice D there is a problem...."claims is" , i don't think this can be correct the correct form will be "claims that" or claims + infinitive"....so B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 15:33
"b"

'A' error....it can refer to computers or handheld......

B is a lot more clearer

both are good choices to choose from.

what is the OA?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 15:48
"Claims to be" is correct usage, D,C,E are out.
Use of "which" is wrong, B is out.
Ans: A
VP
VP
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 17:24
singh_amit19 wrote:

B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder [in the world], which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing

Choice B.

In the [ ] is the prep phrase which could be removed and the "which..." in RED color could be removed as it is non restrictive

so...." camcorder weighing....." in BLUE is perfect.

Aldo "claims to be " is the correct idiom so D is ruled out
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 17:58
B is wrong because "which" comes directly after "world", which was not the intended meaning.

D is right. Claims...is...weighs
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 18:15
ben928 wrote:
B is wrong because "which" comes directly after "world", which was not the intended meaning.

D is right. Claims...is...weighs

"claims is" cannot be correct. Guys correct me if I am wrong

So D ruled out

It is between A and B but A I feel like its a run-on sentence.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 23:00

clearly B is the answer

Correct idiom

claim to be.

digital camcorder in the world, which

here "digital camcorder in the world" is the prepositional phrase with "digital camcorder" as the subject, so which modifies the subject of the prepositional phrase.

whats the OA
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 09:39
I agree that claims to be is probably idiomatic. Of A and B, I choose B because A sounds idiotic.

However, I would probably go with D and take the risk on claims is.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 11:39
Ideom: claim + to be is XXXXX WRONG XXXXX

Between D and E, D employs correct modifier and E is awkward where the meaning is altered.

ANSWER: D

Difficulty: I think this is a medium difficulty question
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 10:20
Amit05 wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:

Wrong : What does 'it' refers to here?

This implies as if world is as long as ... : Wrong

Wrong... : Same reason as above..

This seems to be the best choice.
Amit Singh, Infinitves are used when the sentence implies order, proposal, hopes, desire.. Claim cannot be used as infinitive. There is no degree of uncertainty here. Also, the "what it claims is the ..." clearly refers to the camcorder hence 'is' here is not awkward.

This is an example of dangling modifier.. "weighing is awkward, isolated and incoorect"

What is the OA ..??

OA is B possibly WRONG
Re: SC - official GMAT - Set 21 - Q27   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2007, 10:20