Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 23:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 18:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:27) wrong based on 1 sessions
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

A) to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs

B) to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing

C) is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs

D) is the world's smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs

E) is the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

OA to follow.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 20:08
Quite easy this one. BCD have a which with an incorrect antecedent so eliminated. E has an ambiguous weighing reference to a handheld computer. Only A is correct.

RyanDe680 wrote:
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

A) to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs

B) to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing

C) is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs

D) is the world's smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs

E) is the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

OA to follow.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 06:39
RyanDe680 wrote:

OA to follow.

I picked A.
B & C are out because of incorrect modifier. "which" is referred to the noun immediately before it, and the modifier is modifying "world".
E sounded like the handheld computer weighs less than 11 ounces.
I didn't pick D because I feel that "claim to be" is the correct idiom.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 06:40
bsd_lover wrote:
Quite easy this one. BCD have a which with an incorrect antecedent so eliminated. E has an ambiguous weighing reference to a handheld computer. Only A is correct.

RyanDe680 wrote:

OA to follow.

How is "which" is D has incorrect antecedent? I think it clearly modifies the camcorder...
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 17:13
bkk145 wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

RyanDe680 wrote:

A) to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, [color=#FF0000]and it weighs[/color]

OA to follow.

How is "which" is D has incorrect antecedent? I think it clearly modifies the camcorder...

I see nothing problem with "which" in D, A should be problematic. The colored boldface souds awkawrd!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 23:04
Actually you guys are correct. D does sound better and the which is correctly pointing to the worlds smallest camcorder. I blame a late night :oops:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 06:03
"claims to be" - is the right idiom, eliminate C, D, E.
RyanDe680 wrote:

OA to follow.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 06:11
I think D is unidiomatic, it also has ||'sm issues.

Digital Camcorder is as long as a hand held computer and weighs less than 11 ounces.

Is there a ||'sm issue here ?

bsd_lover wrote:
Actually you guys are correct. D does sound better and the which is correctly pointing to the worlds smallest camcorder. I blame a late night :oops:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 09:41
To my ear D sounds best. It also doesnt have any modifier issues unlike A.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 09:46
To my ear D sounds best. It also doesnt have any modifier issues unlike A.

But I feel that both D and B could be correct. In B I feel which could be modifying "world" but in B weighing is more concise than in and weighs in D.

Whats the OA.

Im confused between D and B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 11:47
i think B has two problems 1 which incorrectly reffers to world insted of reffering to to digital camcoder and weighing also appears to be reffering to hand held computer..... so i think B cannot be the option

CDE cannot be correct as they have the wrong IDIOM so only option left is A which i think is correct

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 18:40
akg wrote:
A is the best .

apurva1985 wrote:
A which i think is correct

bhatiagp wrote:
Im confused between D and B

A and B have the same problem:

A. The electronics company has unveiled..., and it weighs less than 11 ounces-awkward

B The electronics company has unveiled..., weighing less than 11 ounces- too awkward. :lol:

yavasani wrote:
I think D is unidiomatic, it also has ||'sm issues.

Digital Camcorder is as long as a hand held computer and weighs less than 11 ounces.

Is there a ||'sm issue here

@Yavasani: "is" parallels with "weighs", not with "as long as"

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 23:11
The world can not be as long as a handheld computer. The correct idiom is "claims to be." So answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 16:04
D is my pick...'which' correctly modifies the camcorder
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 17:09
The holder of this post may lost somewhere! :lol: I know the OA of this question!

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep #8 - SC [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 17:10
Then TELL US !!!! :? *please ?*
SVP
SVP