Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 10

Reviews Badge
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (02:05) correct 10% (01:30) wrong based on 12 sessions
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighsless than 11 ounces.
A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs
B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing
C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs
D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs
E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I dont seem to agree with the OA on this one as well. Iknow why the OA is wrong. Lets discuss and later I'll share my thoughts.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by WoundedTiger on 13 Oct 2014, 03:36, edited 2 times in total.
Original Sentence not underlined
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 189 [1] , given: 0

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a hand held computer, and it weighs
"It" is referring to computer rather than camcorder so this option is incorrect. Moreover "to be" makes this option passive.

B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a hand held computer, weighing
This sentence makes "which is as long as a hand held computer" as non essential clause and means that camcorder is weighing only 11 ounce. But logically speaking Camcorder length and weight both as its attribute. Moreover "to be" makes this option passive. Moreover "Which" is referring to "world".

C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a hand held computer, and it weighs
"It" is referring to computer rather than camcorder and "Which" is referring to "world", so this option is incorrect.

D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a hand held computer and weighs.
"Which" is clearly referring to "camcorder".

E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a hand held computer, weighing
"the length of which is that of a hand held computer" is an awkward construction. "which is as long as a hand held computer" is much better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 15:01
claims and 'to be' go well together.
I dont see anything wrong (gramatically) with A or D.

I would go with A (original) in that case.

A. The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

D. The electronics company has unveiled what it is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs less than 11 ounces.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
Here "claims to be" is a trap.
Most of us will blindly eliminate C,D,E for incorrect idiom usage.

In A , "it" does not have a clear referrant.

On the "Manhattan" Sc forum I found this explanation

They are claiming that it IS something - not that it "to be" something - so, no, we wouldn't use "to be" here. We'd say "the company has unveiled what it claims is the world's smallest..."

I could say, though, "she claims to be a violinist, but I've heard her play and she's terrible." So there are circumstances in which you could use "claim to be" - but this isn't one of them.

And, yes, answer is D.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 8

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 03:24
mbawaters wrote:
claims and 'to be' go well together.
I dont see anything wrong (gramatically) with A or D.

I would go with A (original) in that case.

A. The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

D. The electronics company has unveiled what it is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs less than 11 ounces.

Hi mbawater,

A is incorrect because if u cut out the modifying phrase, the sentence reads "The electronics company has unveilded what it claims to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder and it weighs less than 11 ounces."

In this sentence, "it" doesn't have a clear referrent, since it could refer to either company or the digital camcorder, which makes A incorrect.

D and E are both gramatically correct, but D is clear and concise
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 04:12
claims "to be" is the correct usage as per grammar rules. But since, without the modifying phrase, the sentence seems incorrect, I had to rule out A.

@goalsnr: What is the source of the question? I do not think actual GMAT will go against its own rules.

JackOfAllTrades
http://pulyanithinks.blogspot.com

SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 17:53
goalsnr wrote:
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.
A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs
B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing
C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs
D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs
E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

I dont seem to agree with the OA on this one as well. Iknow why the OA is wrong. Lets discuss and later I'll share my thoughts.

B,C-- out becuase which modifies the world instead of camcorder.
E -- it talks about weighing handled computer not digital camcorder
A -- its not clear whether it repsents handled computer or digital camcorder

I will chose D.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 06:25
Ok...everybody gets a cookie

The OA is D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 18:56
The answer should be D ............A is wrong as it has it .......
E has awkard construction ........
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 05:35
goalsnr wrote:
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

D for me as well.

I honestly looked at the ending part of each option to narrow down my choice. In the end, only D has consistency.

A. "the length of which.... , and it weighs" is wrong. Should be "the length of which...., and the weight of which...."
B. "which is as long as...., weighing..." nope, not it.
C. "which is as long as...., and it weighs..." again, not consistent. The "it" throws it off
D. "which is as long as....and weighs...." that's consistent.
E. "the length of which is ..., weighing..." again, not consistent.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2008, 16:49
goalsnr wrote:

A

claims to be is an idiom so C,D, and E are out.

WHICH in B illogically modifies WORLD rather than CAMCORDER
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 87

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 21:53
x2suresh wrote:
goalsnr wrote:

B,C-- out becuase which modifies the world instead of camcorder.
E -- it talks about weighing handled computer not digital camcorder
A -- its not clear whether it repsents handled computer or digital camcorder

I will chose D.

I think in B and C the which still modified camcoder since 'in the world ' is a prepositional phrase...Although i know b,c is incorrect which is the not the reason for elimination. can someone please shed some light ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 87

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 22:09
immaculatesahai wrote:
goalsnr wrote:

Going with D.

I think in B and C the which still modified camcoder since 'in the world ' is a prepositional phrase...Although i know b,c is incorrect which is the not the reason for elimination. can someone please shed some light ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-10-2014
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

CAT Tests
Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 01:48
B, C out - "which" modification is wrong
E - use of "f which is that" - awkward
Between A/D - A is crisp and concise .
Hope it helps :)

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2014, 01:48