Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 Jul 2015, 23:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed”

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 113 [2] , given: 53

The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 11:32
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:29) correct 37% (01:41) wrong based on 240 sessions
The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” couples is just as great as the emotional impact of divorce on married couples; in both situations, the loss of a trusted companion deals an emotional blow of great magnitude. Yet statistics show that a person who has separated from his or her partner in even a long-term non-marital relationship is very likely to enter into another such relationship.

Which one of the following statements represents the most logical inference that can be drawn from the statements above?

A) People do not base decisions about relationships solely on the threat of their negative emotional impact.
B) People are not likely to enter into serious relationships if they have failed at them in the past.
C) People are more affected by a divorce from a spouse than they are by the loss of a friend.
D) People often expect that a breakup from a non-spousal partner will merely be temporary.
E) People treat their romantic involvements and their friendships quite differently.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 763 [2] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 11:41
2
This post received
KUDOS
TirthankarP wrote:
The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” couples is just as great as the emotional impact of divorce on married couples; in both situations, the loss of a trusted companion deals an emotional blow of great magnitude. Yet statistics show that a person who has separated from his or her partner in even a long-term non-marital relationship is very likely to enter into another such relationship.

Which one of the following statements represents the most logical inference that can be drawn from the statements above?

A) People do not base decisions about relationships solely on the threat of their negative emotional impact.
B) People are not likely to enter into serious relationships if they have failed at them in the past.
C) People are more affected by a divorce from a spouse than they are by the loss of a friend.
D) People often expect that a breakup from a non-spousal partner will merely be temporary.
E) People treat their romantic involvements and their friendships quite differently.


POE worked well here.

A) People do not base decisions about relationships solely on the threat of their negative emotional impact.
CORRECT.

B) People are not likely to enter into serious relationships if they have failed at them in the past.
WRONG.
just opposite of the argument.(stats showing opposite results)

C) People are more affected by a divorce from a spouse than they are by the loss of a friend.
WRONG.
argument saying it is going to affect in the same manner emotionlly.

D) People often expect that a breakup from a non-spousal partner will merely be temporary.
WRONG.
no if thats true then stats is wrong as people get engage with other partner.

E) People treat their romantic involvements and their friendships quite differently.
WRONG.
we cant infer that.

HENCE A
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 53

Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 10:25
blueseas wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:
The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” couples is just as great as the emotional impact of divorce on married couples; in both situations, the loss of a trusted companion deals an emotional blow of great magnitude. Yet statistics show that a person who has separated from his or her partner in even a long-term non-marital relationship is very likely to enter into another such relationship.

Which one of the following statements represents the most logical inference that can be drawn from the statements above?

A) People do not base decisions about relationships solely on the threat of their negative emotional impact.
B) People are not likely to enter into serious relationships if they have failed at them in the past.
C) People are more affected by a divorce from a spouse than they are by the loss of a friend.
D) People often expect that a breakup from a non-spousal partner will merely be temporary.
E) People treat their romantic involvements and their friendships quite differently.


POE worked well here.

A) People do not base decisions about relationships solely on the threat of their negative emotional impact.
CORRECT.

B) People are not likely to enter into serious relationships if they have failed at them in the past.
WRONG.
just opposite of the argument.(stats showing opposite results)

C) People are more affected by a divorce from a spouse than they are by the loss of a friend.
WRONG.
argument saying it is going to affect in the same manner emotionlly.

D) People often expect that a breakup from a non-spousal partner will merely be temporary.
WRONG.
no if thats true then stats is wrong as people get engage with other partner.

E) People treat their romantic involvements and their friendships quite differently.
WRONG.
we cant infer that.

HENCE A


But D says that breakup from a non-spousal partner is temporary. Its true because that person enters into another relationship very soon.
Whats wrong in my thinking ? :roll:
_________________

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 763 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 11:38
TirthankarP wrote:

But D says that breakup from a non-spousal partner is temporary. Its true because that person enters into another relationship very soon.
Whats wrong in my thinking ? :roll:


hi tirth ,

i dint get how you came to your point.

let say if break up is temporary means that break up will not last for longer time...so result will be that the duo will patch up soon.
but in argument it is said that these people get engaged with other people and no patch up scenario is there.

hope you got my point.

regards
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 53

Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 11:46
blueseas wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:

But D says that breakup from a non-spousal partner is temporary. Its true because that person enters into another relationship very soon.
Whats wrong in my thinking ? :roll:


hi tirth ,

i dint get how you came to your point.

let say if break up is temporary means that break up will not last for longer time...so result will be that the duo will patch up soon.
but in argument it is said that these people get engaged with other people and no patch up scenario is there.

hope you got my point.

regards


By "break-up is temporary" I thought that the person didn't stay alone for a longer time because he entered into a new relationship soon.
By your explanation, it means the person didn't do a patch up with the same non-spousal partner.
_________________

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 763 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 11:56
TirthankarP wrote:

By "break-up is temporary" I thought that the person didn't stay alone for a longer time because he entered into a new relationship soon.
By your explanation, it means the person didn't do a patch up with the same non-spousal partner.


actually i may not be 100 percent correct...as i am not a native speaker.

but as i have googled
break up means : the termination or disintegration of a relationship (between persons or nations).

so IMO that break up doesnt means staying alone .

regards.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Bouncing back from failure
Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 103
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 29

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 05:51
blueseas wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:

By "break-up is temporary" I thought that the person didn't stay alone for a longer time because he entered into a new relationship soon.
By your explanation, it means the person didn't do a patch up with the same non-spousal partner.


actually i may not be 100 percent correct...as i am not a native speaker.

but as i have googled
break up means : the termination or disintegration of a relationship (between persons or nations).

so IMO that break up doesnt means staying alone .

regards.


I have also chose D. Because , i think break up means the period after one terminates a relationship
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 346
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 164

Kudos [?]: 241 [1] , given: 4

Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 08:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

'break up' is the act of separation. I.e. you would say I 'broke up with my girlfriend last Tuesday'

- That said it does not make D correct.

A is the correct inference. The passage says that break ups cause massive emotional pains, but still people go for future relationships.

Those 2 things alone do not make sense.

The statement in A, helps clear up the confusion, so is correct.

James
_________________

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0



... and more

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4380
Followers: 474

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink] New post 30 May 2015, 08:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed”   [#permalink] 30 May 2015, 08:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic A political candidate committed to the principal tenets of a bschool83 6 10 Jul 2011, 08:51
1 A political candidate committed to the principal tenets of a tarun 3 23 Apr 2010, 07:06
1 Crimes are mainly committed by the young, and for this milind1979 3 29 Mar 2009, 17:22
1 Crimes are mainly committed by the young, and for this eyunni 11 18 Jun 2007, 10:30
Several cosmetics firms are committed to the active capri 5 11 Oct 2005, 06:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed”

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.