Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The end of procrastination - 730 (Q 49, V 41)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

The end of procrastination - 730 (Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 15:32
My turn! :band

Okay, here goes.

About me:
I’m 25 years old, a mechanical engineer, a bike freak, a Ferrari F-1 team freak (Schumi rocks! Kimi will too), and a victim of the IT industry since the last 3 years (probably why I am so desperate to get out!)

My Preps:
Pretty erratic, in short.

I studied for around 3 months for the GMAT.

The first month I simply tested the water, checking out if I could actually think about giving the GMAT and getting somewhere. Discovered GMATClub from Google, and started meddling with posts – mainly Verbal. About 20 days later, I downloaded the GMATPrep software from mba.com and gave the full lengths a shot. Scored 710 and 730 on the two tests.

Well, that was it. I got my appointment fixed for the 26th of Sep, and got down to the real prep stages.

Bought a laptop, and got an internet connection. I was sure I would need these for my preparations. Preparing on paper for a test that you are going to take on a computer is downright ludicrous, if you ask me.

Because I had taken two full lengths at the very outset (Plus the other GMATPrep sectional tests and the accuracy rates of my GMATClub answers), I could analyze and target my specific weaknesses. The GMATClub forums were particularly beneficial as far as this part of my preps was concerned. Almost 70 – 75% of my serious prep notes are from discussions to the questions discussed on the forums. GMATClub was my main source for study material! I referred to books only as an additional reference, when I needed more data about a point that was mentioned on one of the discussions.

The second month was lukewarm in terms of preps, I even took a break and took a trek to the highest point in West Bengal, and got to see a front-row view of Kanchenjunga (http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35892).

I returned and took a Kaplan full length and scored 630. Got scared to s*** and finally got down to some serious work. Next month was – back from work on time. An hours rest. Back to studies.

Took another Kaplan full-length at the beginning of the 3rd month and scored 610. At that point, I was basically at the end of my tether. Cut down on sleep to almost 4 hours on average most of the days.

10 days before the GMAT, I applied for leave and studied at home. Focus: Quants. During the entire period that I had prepared, Quants preps accounted for only around 20% of my time. Kevincan probably noticed that I started vandalizing some of his problems. Many apologies for the mayhem on many of your recent posts.

D-Day (- 1):
I had to travel to a different location from where I am based at the moment, and elected to travel a day earlier. Reached the place early on Monday and reconnoitered the location of the test centre. I was on my own and did not want last minute glitches on G-Day.

Took a last, and final full length from Kaplan and scored 640. Went through my error logs one last time. Slept early.

D-Day:
It was predicted by the meteorological department that a cyclone would hit the coastline that day. My test location is pretty close by, and I was a little apprehensive about the possible consequences, but the cyclone changed course the night before, and all I got was a windy day.

I reached the test centre about three-quarters of an hour before the scheduled appointment time. They were very friendly (which helped soothe my frayed nerves).

The AWA essays were pretty easy – the Analysis of an Issue was something about Environmental controls, and the Analysis of an Argument was about a manager’s suggestion for some organizational changes. On both the essays, I took about 5 minutes to decide what I would write about. Next 15 minutes were spent typing in the first cut. Last 10 minutes - proof reading, corrections plus additions and deletions from the essays.

The Math section was pretty much in line with the GMATPrep test levels, and I didn’t get too many tricky questions. That made me a little nervous, but I shrugged it off and continued. Finished this section with around 5 minutes to go.

The Verbals also seemed to be pretty simple. Apparently I made more mistakes than I had hoped, but it still is not too bad. I’m sure I mucked up on RC and CR, because I was sure of the answer for most SC questions. Anyway, I’m not going to b**** on this, coz I still think its an okay score. Finished this section with around 25 minutes to go.

Did a fist punch when I saw the score. Been jumping around and grinning like mad since then.

In hindsight, I am a little disappointed with the Verbal score. But 41 is pretty respectable, isn't it? Happy about the Quants though.

The next battle:
Now for the schools. Suggestions are invited (rather, requested), though I am about to prepare a shortlist of my own. I knew I was not going to make it this year, so I did not enter any course at the prompt. As of now, all I have is my rough score. I’m planning to join a course next year fall with 4 years of work experience. I need a scholarship AND a loan to get through the course.

Prep material:
GMATClub
Kaplan Premier 2006
Kaplan Verbal Workbook
Nova’s GMAT

Practice Test scores:
GMATPrep #1 – 710
GMATPrep #2 – 730
Kaplan #1 – 630
Kaplan #2 – 610
Kaplan #3 – 640

Last edited by paddyboy on 28 Sep 2006, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 15:41
CONGRATULATIONS Paddyboy.... I was wondering when you were going to post the happy news.....

PARTY ON!!!

Forget about the apps for a day or two and then come back to it...

Good luck/

:wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

:musband
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 15:47
haas_mba07 wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS Paddyboy.... I was wondering when you were going to post the happy news.....

PARTY ON!!!

Forget about the apps for a day or two and then come back to it...

Good luck/

:wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Thanks, and congratulations to you as well! Fig and I were 'predicting' your scores as 700+ and you got it!

Yeah, I'm off the apps and on the parties for a couple of days. But after that, :read
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 15:53
Thanks...

Have you given any thought as to where you want to app? I am having a tough time... and I am OLD when it comes to the average age of applicants these days... look at you.. You are 25.... been a while since I was 25. ;-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

The end of procrastination - 730 (Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 17:00
Congrats PaddyBoy. I just got home and opened my laptop and first thing was GMATClub- share exp.... coz I knew that a bunch of you guys are taking the exam this week and I was pretty sure you were one of em. I knew it you will tear this thing apart :wink:

One more guy to go, hopefull he'll post his news soon :-D

Good luck for your apps :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 19:16
Hey paddyboy..

Allow me to ask one question -

Did you feel lucky? Well, did you punk?

:lol: :lol:

CONGRATS MAN!! PARTY HARD!

"Success is 99 percent failure" - Soichiro Honda

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 20:05
Thats an excellent score. Good luck with apps.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 20:07
Congratulations.........

The experiences in the past months have shown that hardwork does pay.

Party hard for a night but be ready to slog more.

IMO applications are more demanding than GMAT. Why? Because there is no right answer.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 21:30
Great score, and great job planning a year ahead. An extra year of quality experience will help you with many of the top business school, and you can probably build your extracurricular profile in the interim as well.

Regarding your question about where to apply, you didn't give much information but your score puts you in the mix almost everywhere. It will obviously be easier to obtain a scholar from less competitive schools, but I believe most schools do guarantee full loans.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 02:56
Wow! 730! Congratulations and I'll miss your ´vandalizing´
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 03:06
paddy, congratulations man. I had a feeling you were going to kick butt just reading your posts.

And you're only 25! Thats amazing.

Good Luck!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 06:19
Congratulations Paddyboy, we all knew that you were going to conquer this beast. The world is your oyster buddy!! Good luck with all your apps and please stick around to help a few strugglers like myself.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 06:26
CONGRATUALTIONS PADDY.

Great Score, I knew you were going to do it. My best whished to you and thanks for all your posts.
Hope someday I get a score similar to yours. :wink:

Cheers!!!!

Who is John Galt?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 07:57
congratulations - great score..
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 09:02
Thanks for your wishes guys! Its really nice to see your encouraging words. The grin is back on my face :lol:

GMATCLUB ROCKS!!!

haas_mba07 wrote:
Have you given any thought as to where you want to app? I am having a tough time... and I am OLD when it comes to the average age of applicants these days... look at you.. You are 25.... been a while since I was 25. ;-)

Nope - I've just started out with it. Wondering if I should stay in Asia (INSEAD/NUS/MIT) or travel to the US/UK/Europe. Especially because of the exponential rates at which the Asian eonomy is growing!

My heart says travel, my mind says stay :roll: And regarding age... 18 till I die! :lol:

uvs_mba wrote:
Congrats PaddyBoy. I just got home and opened my laptop and first thing was GMATClub- share exp.... coz I knew that a bunch of you guys are taking the exam this week and I was pretty sure you were one of em. I knew it you will tear this thing apart

Thanks! I think the best thing about this forum is the caramaderie here! Definitely part of the reason for this score.

rookie06 wrote:
Allow me to ask one question -

Did you feel lucky? Well, did you punk?

Well they call me 'lucky lips', son... :lol: Thanks a ton!

jaynayak wrote:
IMO applications are more demanding than GMAT. Why? Because there is no right answer.

Well said! Almost the Murphy's law of B-school apps :wink: Thanks for your wishes!

pelihu wrote:
Great score, and great job planning a year ahead. An extra year of quality experience will help you with many of the top business school, and you can probably build your extracurricular profile in the interim as well.

Regarding your question about where to apply, you didn't give much information but your score puts you in the mix almost everywhere. It will obviously be easier to obtain a scholar from less competitive schools, but I believe most schools do guarantee full loans.

Thanks! You are, of course, God to lesser mortals like me :) And thanks for the words of advice, I'll be on the forum for this part of the battle as well!

kevincan wrote:
Wow! 730! Congratulations and I'll miss your ´vandalizing´

:-D Thanks! I don't have a math brain, but I love to muck around when I get started with a problem :wink:

agsfaltex wrote:
paddy, congratulations man. I had a feeling you were going to kick butt just reading your posts.

And you're only 25! Thats amazing.

Thanks! For your wishes and for your posts! I really did learn a lot from you and so many other guys!

GMATT73 wrote:
Congratulations Paddyboy, we all knew that you were going to conquer this beast. The world is your oyster buddy!! Good luck with all your apps and please stick around to help a few strugglers like myself.

Thanks a ton, dude! I learnt SO much from your posts! And I think you ROCK! Buddy, maybe it just wasn't your day last time. But the day I'm going to congratulate you for a HUGE score is not too far off....

X & Y wrote:
CONGRATUALTIONS PADDY.

Great Score, I knew you were going to do it. My best whished to you and thanks for all your posts.
Hope someday I get a score similar to yours

I probably learnt more from your posts (and those of many others) than you'll ever learn from mine. And I think you are going to go past me, man... and I'm not joking about this! Best of luck to you as well!
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 09:30
Hey Paddyboy,

Now do ya feel lucky, ya punk? Bet you do ;) anyway congratulations and good luck with the apps. Recently a leading news paper publication called ball street journal reported that people with high scores should not apply to INSEAD, IMD or Oxford. So apply anywhere except there, alright? :D :P

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 10:20
Thats the way to go buddy.

Congrats. :beer

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 10:29
Great Score Paddyboy.
All the best.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 11:58
Where do you get the GMATPrep Tests??
Are these available online? Please assist. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 13:48
Hindustan - you can download the GMATPrep tests from the website (see below) ...basically got http://www.mba.com for more information

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Tool ... in2006.htm
  [#permalink] 28 Sep 2006, 13:48