Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 11

The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 21:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:36) correct 28% (00:29) wrong based on 67 sessions
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of

isnt "a kind of nuclear battery ..." a clause? if yes, why cant i connect the 2 clauses with a semi colon using rather?Please explain
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 2

Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is B.

You can not use a semicolon since you do not have two independent clauses.

The following can not stand alone on its own:

Rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

It is dependent on the preceding clause. It is also unidiomatic. The idiom is - "not X, but rather Y"

So you have to stick with it. This eliminates A and E.

Parallelism eliminates C and D.

not a nuclear reactor, but rather a kind of battery. Adding that messes it all up.

Hope this helps.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 11

Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 23:35
Thanks, would the following construction be right?
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; it is a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.?

also, isnt nuclear battery a noun and uses a verb for the sentence post the semi colon in the original question to qualify as a clause

just trying to get my concept clear
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 08:24
The sentence requires the use of a conjunction which brings in contrast .Hence the use of but is a must here.I think an independent clause cannot begin with rather although there might be an independent subject and verb etc.The use of rather itself brings in a sense of dependency .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 2

Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 16:16
devinawilliam83 wrote:
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; it is a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.?

also, isnt nuclear battery a noun and uses a verb for the sentence post the semi colon in the original question to qualify as a clause

It appears correct to me. The only thing that could be questionable (for the record I think it is correct) is the pronoun reference to it. Logically "it" refers to the energy source on Voyager 2 so I think you are good to go. Someone correct me if they believe otherwise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 19:57
Isn't 'but rather' repetitive in the option B?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 02:20
Hi u0422811 i dont think so "It" is correct, beacuse It can refer to nuclear reactor also
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 10:24
not an independent clause...
+1 B

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3590 [0], given: 185

Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 09:24
Expert's post
devinawilliam83 wrote:
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of

isnt "a kind of nuclear battery ..." a clause? if yes, why cant i connect the 2 clauses with a semi colon using rather?Please explain

Hi,

The prerequisite for any clause is that it must have a subject and it must have a verb. Presence of SV pair makes a clause, either a dependent or an independent.

This sentence can be divided into following clauses:

The energy source on Voyager 2
is not a nuclear reactor (Independent Clause) (blue = subject, green = verb)

in which atoms are actively broken apart (Dependent clause)

rather a kind of nuclear battery

that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power. (dependent clause)

"rather a kind of nuclear battery" is not a clause because it does not have any verb. Together, this phrase and the last clause build a dependent clause that appears after the semicolon. This is the incorrect sentence structure.

Also note that for every clause, IC or DC, the SV pairs must be independent. The verb of one clause cannot play the role of verb for the subject of another clause.

devinawilliam83 wrote:

The sentence that you have cited is correct. "it" in the beginning of the second IC correctly refers to "The energy source on voyager 2" because they both are placed in the subject position of the ICs. This is from the grammatical standpoint. Logically also "it" refers to the same because the second IC is talking about "nuclear battery" which is a kind of "energy source" only.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 14:16
bsaikrishna wrote:
Isn't 'but rather' repetitive in the option B?
Can someone answer above point? This question brought me here in the forum. I ,in fact, striked this option being an convoluted repetitive option, when going through the options in the first run. Though, I got this question correct by selecting this choice in the second pass because I scratched all the choices, still want to know the best answer for this construction.

I know that "but rather" is OA, but wouldn't "but" only would be sufficient :
Shouldn't
(B) apart, but
or even
(B) apart, rather
work?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 7

Re: semi colon and comma [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 01:27
devinawilliam83 wrote:

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of

Usage of "not X...but rather Y..."

A: semi-colon can't be used so eliminated
B. Should be it..
C. Introduces parallelism err "that of"
D. Parallelism & idiom errs
E. "that of" parallelism err
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 05:28
[quote="devinawilliam83"]The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart; it is that of

CORRECT CONSTRUCTION: The energy source on V2 is not X, but rather Y that uses natural radioactive decay...

The correct construction should be NOT [NOUN] BUT [NOUN]... "That of" is not necessary and is in fact wrong. Thus, (C), (D) and (E) are eliminated.

Semicolon (;) is used to precede an independent clause. "rather a kind of X that uses Y.." is not an independent clause. Thus (A) is wrong

Answer: B

Impossible is nothing to God.

Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2013, 05:28