Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Pronounsx   Punctuationx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5010 [211]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [90]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [6]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 679 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]
Kudos
think of it like this-

B) the energy source is not X, but rather a kind of Y

C) the energy source is not X, but rather that of a kind of Y

C is unnecessary and changes the meaning of the sentence, hence answer is B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atom [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer is B.

You can not use a semicolon since you do not have two independent clauses.

The following can not stand alone on its own:

Rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

It is dependent on the preceding clause. It is also unidiomatic. The idiom is - "not X, but rather Y"

So you have to stick with it. This eliminates A and E.

Parallelism eliminates C and D.

not a nuclear reactor, but rather a kind of battery. Adding that messes it all up.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I have chosen B for this question:

A. This answer choice does 2 things incorrectly - it splits the comparison into 2 independence clauses and the second clause is a fragment. There is no reason to include a semicolon because it is splitting up the comparison into 2 sentences.

B. This answer is correct because it follows the not X, but rather Y comparison. Also, the elements are parallel.

C. This answer is incorrect. Although it does follow not X, but rather Y, "that of" is a relative pronoun that refers to nothing.

D. "That" does not refer to anything.

E. Again, the semicolon is unnecessary because we want a sentence that clearly describes the comparison in one thought.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
the question uses a "not x ...but rather y" type of construction. I am confused that in such a case is "but" acting as a coordinating conjunction i.e. it must be followed by a complete clause . If so please tell me which is the main verb in the clause followed by but i.e." a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power"?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Actually it is not just but, but not X but Y.

X is a phrase: a nuclear reactor (,in which atoms are actively broken apart)
Y is also a phrase: rather a kind of nuclear battery (that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power)

I have put the modifiers (relative clauses) in brackets above to make it clear that the actual phrases are a nuclear reactor and a kind of nuclear battery.

In fact, I can't think of any scenario where Not X but Y would have complete clauses in X and Y. Does something come to your mind? Would be interesting to see.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Actually it is not just but, but not X but Y.

X is a phrase: a nuclear reactor (,in which atoms are actively broken apart)
Y is also a phrase: rather a kind of nuclear battery (that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power)

I have put the modifiers (relative clauses) in brackets above to make it clear that the actual phrases are a nuclear reactor and a kind of nuclear battery.

In fact, I can't think of any scenario where Not X but Y would have complete clauses in X and Y. Does something come to your mind? Would be interesting to see.

Thankyou so much Ashish ,that was very useful. So , I can safely conclude that every usage of "but" doesn't necessitate it to be used as a conjunction.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
There is one more thing. It looks from your earlier post that you did realize that this question uses not x ...but rather y type of construction. B, C and D are the three options that use this construct and none of these options uses a clause after but.

Hence the entire debate about whether a clause must be used after but is a moot point for this question; I understand though that your question was perhaps for a larger understanding and not necessarily limited to this question alone.

However, in general, test-takers should in fact develop an eye for seeing what really matters for a question.

The reason I want to highlight this is that students get worked-up on issues that don't matter for a question. This happens very often with questions where students think that a pronoun has ambiguous reference. We suggest students that if the same pronoun ambiguity exists in all 5 options, then move on, because in that case, clearly pronoun ambiguity is not being tested there; the same way as clause after but is not getting tested here: ).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-25-2013
Send PM
I read it somewhere that 'but' and 'rather' convey the same contrast so need of clubbing them together, is it ?

I saw a question in OG verbal where the two were clubbed together.The question is there in the attachment :?:
Attachment:
sentence _correction.jpg
sentence _correction.jpg [ 36.2 KiB | Viewed 71943 times ]

Originally posted by Countdown on 06 Jun 2013, 23:01.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 07 Jun 2013, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Countdown, I'm not sure where you read that differentiation, but it seems a little oversimplified.

Rather usually implies some kind of comparison, usually that I want this rather than that, as in preference.

But is a much more general term, it generally means some kind of dissidence, but it's definition is broader. (see what I did there?)

This answer is really governed by the "not" on the first line. Voyager 2 is not x, but rather y. This is an idiom that can be expected on the GMAT.

You could also turn the phrase to say something like: It is not x, rather it is y. That's fine too. But rather on it's own (answer choice A) does not make it sufficiently clear that we're still talking about Voyager 2.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aris,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

Choice E is incorrect because there is no grammatical or logical antecedent for the pronoun phrase that of. Please note that that the subject pronoun it in the second independent clause in this choice already stands for The energy source on Voyager 2. It is enough to say:

The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor; it is a kind of nuclear battery.

There is absolutely no need for the pronoun phrase that of in Choice E. This is the reason why this choice is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1392 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

Meaning and analysis:
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor but rather (is ) a kind of nuclear battery
"in which atoms are actively broken apart" -> is a modifier modifying nuclear reactor
that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power -> is a modifier modifying nuclear battery

(A) apart; rather -> rather is a conjunction and cannot be used with a Semi colon. Semi colon joins two Clauses.

(B) apart, but rather -> Correct

(C) apart, but rather that of
Comparing nuclear reactor with "that" of battery. Not sure what is referred by "That"

(D) apart, but that of
Comparing nuclear reactor with "that" of battery. Not sure what is referred by "That"

(E) apart: it is that of
1) Normally, colon is used to provide examples or long fragments in the list. I think, semi colon would have been appropriate
2) Comparing nuclear reactor with "that" of battery. Not sure what is referred by "That"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
The energy source on Voyager 2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

Issues: Idiom | Comparison

Analysis:
1. In this sentence, two sources of energy are compared.
2. The construction of sentence should be "... not X but rather Y", where X and Y should be comparable entities such as "a nuclear reactor" and "a kind of nuclear battery"

(A) apart; rather
- Clause connected via semi-colon should be independent, whereas in this case, second clause is not independent

(B) apart, but rather

(C) apart, but rather that of
- "That of" creates meaning issue

(D) apart, but that of
- "That of" creates meaning issue

(E) apart: it is that of
- No contract is created by this option. A conjunction to create contrast is necessary here to coney proper meaning.

Answer: (B)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos