Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 09:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2007, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:32) correct 18% (00:45) wrong based on 225 sessions
The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart; rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.
(A) apart; rather
(B) apart, but rather
(C) apart, but rather that of
(D) apart, but that of
(E) apart: it is that of

The idiom is not X but rather Y. Therefore, ADE are wrong.

Why is B correct instead of C? Is it because it is more concise?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 07 Jun 2013, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2007, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
think of it like this-

B) the energy source is not X, but rather a kind of Y

C) the energy source is not X, but rather that of a kind of Y

C is unnecessary and changes the meaning of the sentence, hence answer is B
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2007, 09:44
I agree with r019h. "that of" is too wordy and unnecessary.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 18:30
I have chosen B for this question:

A. This answer choice does 2 things incorrectly - it splits the comparison into 2 independence clauses and the second clause is a fragment. There is no reason to include a semicolon because it is splitting up the comparison into 2 sentences.

B. This answer is correct because it follows the not X, but rather Y comparison. Also, the elements are parallel.

C. This answer is incorrect. Although it does follow not X, but rather Y, "that of" is a relative pronoun that refers to nothing.

D. "That" does not refer to anything.

E. Again, the semicolon is unnecessary because we want a sentence that clearly describes the comparison in one thought.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 72

Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 23:38
Undoubtedly B. Its very clear as the other sounds very awkward.

If you like my post, Press +1 KUDO. It is the best way to say Thanks .

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 11:10
Others sound wrong. Answer should be B
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 22:43
follows idiomatic expression not x, but rather y

a. use of semicolon wrong + not idiomatic
b. Correct
c. that of - reference error, there is no antecedent to this.
d. not idiomatic - rather missing
e. that of - reference error, there is no antecedent to this. + not idiomatic - rather missing

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 23:22
IMO B.

A/D/E - wrong idiom
C - 'that of' - that has no referent

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 31

Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 00:55
C is awkward construction. B is the clear winner.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 23:15
the question uses a "not x ...but rather y" type of construction. I am confused that in such a case is "but" acting as a coordinating conjunction i.e. it must be followed by a complete clause . If so please tell me which is the main verb in the clause followed by but i.e." a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power"?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 2

Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
Actually it is not just but, but not X but Y.

X is a phrase: a nuclear reactor (,in which atoms are actively broken apart)
Y is also a phrase: rather a kind of nuclear battery (that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power)

I have put the modifiers (relative clauses) in brackets above to make it clear that the actual phrases are a nuclear reactor and a kind of nuclear battery.

In fact, I can't think of any scenario where Not X but Y would have complete clauses in X and Y. Does something come to your mind? Would be interesting to see.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 00:48
EducationAisle wrote:
Actually it is not just but, but not X but Y.

X is a phrase: a nuclear reactor (,in which atoms are actively broken apart)
Y is also a phrase: rather a kind of nuclear battery (that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power)

I have put the modifiers (relative clauses) in brackets above to make it clear that the actual phrases are a nuclear reactor and a kind of nuclear battery.

In fact, I can't think of any scenario where Not X but Y would have complete clauses in X and Y. Does something come to your mind? Would be interesting to see.

Thankyou so much Ashish ,that was very useful. So , I can safely conclude that every usage of "but" doesn't necessitate it to be used as a conjunction.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 2

Re: The energy source on Voyager2 is not a nuclear reactor, in [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 06:47
There is one more thing. It looks from your earlier post that you did realize that this question uses not x ...but rather y type of construction. B, C and D are the three options that use this construct and none of these options uses a clause after but.

Hence the entire debate about whether a clause must be used after but is a moot point for this question; I understand though that your question was perhaps for a larger understanding and not necessarily limited to this question alone.

However, in general, test-takers should in fact develop an eye for seeing what really matters for a question.

The reason I want to highlight this is that students get worked-up on issues that don't matter for a question. This happens very often with questions where students think that a pronoun has ambiguous reference. We suggest students that if the same pronoun ambiguity exists in all 5 options, then move on, because in that case, clearly pronoun ambiguity is not being tested there; the same way as clause after but is not getting tested here: ).

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-25-2013

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

'but' Clubbed with 'rather' [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 22:01
I read it somewhere that 'but' and 'rather' convey the same contrast so need of clubbing them together, is it ?

I saw a question in OG verbal where the two were clubbed together.The question is there in the attachment :?:
Attachment:
sentence _correction.jpg
sentence _correction.jpg [ 36.2 KiB | Viewed 2286 times ]

Last edited by Zarrolou on 07 Jun 2013, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 66

Re: 'but' Clubbed with 'rather' [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 22:12
Expert's post
Hi Countdown, I'm not sure where you read that differentiation, but it seems a little oversimplified.

Rather usually implies some kind of comparison, usually that I want this rather than that, as in preference.

But is a much more general term, it generally means some kind of dissidence, but it's definition is broader. (see what I did there?)

This answer is really governed by the "not" on the first line. Voyager 2 is not x, but rather y. This is an idiom that can be expected on the GMAT.

You could also turn the phrase to say something like: It is not x, rather it is y. That's fine too. But rather on it's own (answer choice A) does not make it sufficiently clear that we're still talking about Voyager 2.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-25-2013

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

Re: 'but' Clubbed with 'rather' [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 22:16
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Hi Countdown, I'm not sure where you read that differentiation, but it seems a little oversimplified.

Rather usually implies some kind of comparison, usually that I want this rather than that, as in preference.

But is a much more general term, it generally means some kind of dissidence, but it's definition is broader. (see what I did there?)

This answer is really governed by the "not" on the first line. Voyager 2 is not x, but rather y. This is an idiom that can be expected on the GMAT.

You could also turn the phrase to say something like: It is not x, rather it is y. That's fine too. But rather on it's own (answer choice A) does not make it sufficiently clear that we're still talking about Voyager 2.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Thanks Ron ,

Your answer does make the difference :)

Countdown
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 'but' Clubbed with 'rather' [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 08:45
VeritasPrepRon wrote:

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Thanks for making it clear, I was thinking that "But" is not required with "rather"...Forgot that its a Idiom. :lol:

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: 'but' Clubbed with 'rather'   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2013, 08:45