Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 227
Location: Taipei
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 00:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:22) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
The Environmental Protection Agency’s proposal to place restrictions on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying that the move will exacerbate the nation’s fuel supply problems.

A.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying
B.on both diesel fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and they say
C.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, which says
D.both on diesel fuel and engines has sparked the oil industry to a counterattack, saying
E.both on diesel fuel and diesel engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and it says

Last edited by jerrywu on 12 Oct 2006, 11:11, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Posts: 532
Location: US
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 01:12
the proposal --- has sparked

So B and E are out.

D has meaning problem --- it seems fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry. Essentially word order is not same.

Finally, i will prefer C over A because which correctly modifies oil industry.

A.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying
B.on both diesel fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and they say
C.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, which says
D.both on diesel fuel and engines has sparked the oil industry to a counterattack, saying
E.both on diesel fuel and diesel engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and it says
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1389
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 05:01
mahesh004 wrote:
the proposal --- has sparked

So B and E are out.

D has meaning problem --- it seems fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry. Essentially word order is not same.

Finally, i will prefer C over A because which correctly modifies oil industry.

A.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying
B.on both diesel fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and they say
C.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, which says
D.both on diesel fuel and engines has sparked the oil industry to a counterattack, saying
E.both on diesel fuel and diesel engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and it says


Absolutely :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2005
Posts: 455
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-oil industry [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 09:48
jerrywu wrote:
The Environmental Protection Agency’s proposal to place restrictions on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying that the move will exacerbate the nation’s fuel supply problems.

A.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying
B.on both diesel fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and they say
C.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, which says
D.both on diesel fuel and engines has sparked the oil industry to a counterattack, saying
E.both on diesel fuel and diesel engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and it says


This one is C. First of all why its correct because we need parallelism with both X and Y which C has, other reasons why its correct because proposal... has.. SVA. Third "which" has a clear antecedent which is oil industry :) Other choices are flawed.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2006
Posts: 98
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-oil industry [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 19:50
jerrywu wrote:
The Environmental Protection Agency’s proposal to place restrictions on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying that the move will exacerbate the nation’s fuel supply problems.

A.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying
B.on both diesel fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and they say
C.on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, which says
D.both on diesel fuel and engines has sparked the oil industry to a counterattack, saying
E.both on diesel fuel and diesel engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and it says


Another way to think about it: You have two clauses and the ',which' is the begining of the second clause:

The Proposal has sparked anger by the Oil Industry. THE OIL INDUSTRY says that the move will...

In essence, Saying requires a subject as it is begining an indepedent claus with the verb says--it needs something doing the saying and that is filled by which, standing in for the oil industry and that makes the clause complete.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 381
Location: Phoenix AZ
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 20:16
I like D.

B and E are out for SVA.
C is out of incorrect use of 'which'

I had to think about A vs D.
D won for active voice.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2006
Posts: 213
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 21:11
I too would go with C because option C seems to correct two errors in the underlined portion.
1 the proposal --- has sparked
2 "says" pronoun is confusing. As per PR,it is a case of "Pronoun Reference"
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 06:37
C

on the gmat, "which" always refers to the noun directly preceding it.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 02:21
Straight C.
1. S - V agreement
2. correct modifier
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 15:12
deep wrote:
I think it's C - MATT did you want to say C?


Yep, posted that answer late last night. Should be (C)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 227
Location: Taipei
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC21-27.41 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 11:10
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs

B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing

C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs

D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs

E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1542
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 39

 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 11:17
Jerry wu wut is OA for first one....thanks

In my openion it is c

but can anyone spot the difference between

both on .............on both. i will appreciate the help
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 14:38
For the 1st question:
C for correct use of "which" in the non-restrictive clause?

(edited to avoid confusion between the two questions)

Last edited by anandsebastin on 12 Oct 2006, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC21-27.41 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 15:40
Jerrywu wrote:
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs

B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing

C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs

D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs

E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing


D.

Only in D is it clear what "is as long as a handheld computer" and "weighs less than 11 ounces".

(Edited to include the question)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 227
Location: Taipei
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 16:34
yezz wrote:
Jerry wu wut is OA for first one....thanks

In my openion it is c

but can anyone spot the difference between

both on .............on both. i will appreciate the help



first OA is (C)

industry, which says is best ; others are unclear and ambiguous
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 227
Location: Taipei
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 16:44
ivymba wrote:
B on the second one

Claims to be Idiomatic


in (B)

world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing less than 11 ounces.


world is as long as a computer ??

computer weights less than 11 ounces ??

in (D)

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims is.....

this sentence structure confuses me...can someone help me out..thanks heaps ..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 227
Location: Taipei
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 18:32
ak_idc wrote:
ivymba wrote:
B on the second one

Claims to be Idiomatic


But Ivy, "which" refers to "world" in B. Is it Ok?



the second OA is D
  [#permalink] 15 Oct 2006, 18:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic The Environmental Protection Agency s proposal to place sanjeebpanda 9 14 Oct 2012, 05:13
5 The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place msand 10 02 Jan 2010, 10:07
1 Environmental Protection Agency nitindas 2 16 Aug 2009, 23:58
The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place Allen760 6 23 Oct 2006, 14:52
The environmental protection agency frequently puts vic 11 18 Jan 2006, 07:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.