Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 3

The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:54) correct 39% (00:52) wrong based on 434 sessions
The Environmental Protection Agency’s proposal to place restrictions on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying that the move will exacerbate the nation’s fuel supply problems.
A. on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying
B. on both diesel fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and they say
C. on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, which says
D. both on diesel fuel and engines has sparked the oil industry to a counterattack, saying
E. both on diesel fuel and diesel engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and it says

[Reveal] Spoiler: Doubt
Can somebody tell me what is the problem with the modifier "saying ..." ? Is it because "saying..." in A incorrectly modifies "engine has sparked..." clause?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 31

Re: The Environmental Protection Agency [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
msand wrote:
The Environmental Protection Agency’s proposal to place restrictions on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying that the move will exacerbate the nation’s fuel supply problems.
A. on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying
B. on both diesel fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and they say
C. on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, which says
D. both on diesel fuel and engines has sparked the oil industry to a counterattack, saying
E. both on diesel fuel and diesel engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and it says

I have chosen A. OA is :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Can somebody tell me what is the problem with the modifier "saying ..." ? Is it because "saying..." in A incorrectly modifies "engine has sparked..." clause?

Saying is modifying proposal, the subject
Saying should modify oil industry as in C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: The Environmental Protection Agency [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 12:37
a. one...chances???.W

b. right

c. it will???

d.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: The Environmental Protection Agency [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 23:33
C is correct. 'which says' correctly modifies the oil industry.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 33

Re: The Environmental Protection Agency [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 23:46
+1 for C.

Proposal is singular. So have is out. B & E are out.

'to a counterattack' is wrong. D is out.

Use of 'ing' not preferable on GMAT. So A is out
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 06:50
msand wrote:

I have one small doubt , what is the difference between "on both" and "both on" phrases here ???

Are both equivalent ?

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 629

Re: The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 22:20
Quote:
I have one small doubt , what is the difference between "on both" and "both on" phrases here ???
Are both equivalent ?

If you put the two phrases back to back it may be easier to tell the difference. "....restrictions on both ..." or "....restrictions both on ..." Does one sound more favorable than the other. In all honestly, I could see myself saying both but I went with A. Out of curiosity I looked up the usage of the word "both" and this is what I found.

Position of both

When both refers to the subject of a clause, it can go with the verb. It is put after auxiliary verbs and before other verbs. When there are two auxiliary verbs, both usually goes after the first.

They are both good.
We both want to go.
We have both been invited.
They have both gone home.

Note that these meanings can also be expressed by using the structure both (of) + noun/pronoun.

Both of them are good.
Both of us want to go.
Both of us have been invited.
Both of them have gone home.

Both … and … ------ The same kind of words or expressions usually follow both and and.

She is both beautiful and clever. (adjectives)
She both sings and dances. (verbs)

http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/usage/both.htm

I think the last concept describes what's going on in this question. We have the "both ... and.." construction. In the "both diesel fuel and diesel engines". Based on this, I think the "on both" is preferable to the "both on". When you have a prepositional phrase and the use of "both", you would say, "Bob went inside (on) both the airplane and helicopter" as opposed to "Bob went both inside (on) the airplane and helicopter."

Hope that helps.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 06:04
msand wrote:

msand,

, saying that.... is a present participle or ing modifier after comma

Rule: present participle or ing modifier after comma will always modify both the subject & verb of the preceding clause. So A has incorrect meaning..It seems as if proposal is saying......

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 06:39
Excuse me, can anyone explain what is the difference between 'which says' and 'saying' in this sentence?
3 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 487 [3] , given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tinanguyen wrote:
Excuse me, can anyone explain what is the difference between 'which says' and 'saying' in this sentence?

Here Saying is modifying the proposal and it seems that the proposal is saying, which of course is incorrect
Which says correctly points to the Oil Industry, hence the correct option.

Does that clarify?

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 20

Re: The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 18:04
in option A saying is followed by a comma and hence this must modify the whole clause. Saying does not modify the clause here and is wrong. So in C which says is the correct use
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-31-2014
GPA: 2.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 77

CAT Tests
Re: The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2014, 03:32
msand wrote:

A. on both diesel fuel and diesel engines has sparked a counterattack by the oil industry, saying - It modifies The Environmental Protection Agency’s proposal
B. on both diesel fuel and engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and they say - Proposal is singular
D. both on diesel fuel and engines has sparked the oil industry to a counterattack, saying - It modifies The Environmental Protection Agency’s proposal
E. both on diesel fuel and diesel engines have sparked the oil industry to counterattack, and it says - Proposal is singular

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Re: The Environmental Protection Agencys proposal to place   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2014, 03:32