Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 03:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (02:26) correct 20% (02:12) wrong based on 25 sessions
The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that many people develop severe back problems during adulthood, and that virtually all such people who received chiropractic treatment showed great improvement. Therefore, in order to minimize the proportion of the population that suffers from back pain, the Ergonomic Society recommended that chiropractic treatment be directed toward those adults who suffer from severe back problems.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

a)Any person who receives chiropractic treatment for back pain may also benefit from other forms of treatment.

b)Large insurance carriers cover chiropractic care for back problems to a lesser degree than they do other medical treatments.

c)Individuals who receive chiropractic or other treatment prior to developing severe back problems are not less likely to develop back pain than those who do not.

d)Chiropractic treatment is more effective in treating severe back problems when utilized over a long period of time, as opposed to sporadically.

e)Severe back pain and other problems often cause individuals to miss workdays.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Author's comments
although i was able to get answer using poe ,iam not exactly sure why oa is correct
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 874 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat cr [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 03:29
The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that many people develop severe back problems during adulthood, and that virtually all such people who received chiropractic treatment showed great improvement. Therefore, in order to minimize the proportion of the population that suffers from back pain, the Ergonomic Society recommended that chiropractic treatment be directed toward those adults who suffer from severe back problems.

c)Individuals who receive chiropractic or other treatment prior to developing severe back problems are not less likely to develop back pain than those who do not.

The society is recommending this treatment only for those who already suffer from severe back problem.

Why did it not recommend the treatment for those adults who don't suffer from back problem still?

Because, it assumes that the treatment is not preventive but curative.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: mgmat cr [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 07:36
thanks a lot fluke and great way of thinking.
Just one question though,how do we interpret such a complex choice in exam(as in ,i could only prephrase this much that adults who sufer from back pain form a major proportion of people suffering from back pain)
thanks agian
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 874 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat cr [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 08:13
adhithya wrote:
thanks a lot fluke and great way of thinking.
Just one question though,how do we interpret such a complex choice in exam(as in ,i could only prephrase this much that adults who sufer from back pain form a major proportion of people suffering from back pain)
thanks agian

Seriously, I don't consciously follow any strict rule or protocol while solving these. I suggest you to read "Powerscore CR bible". It really helped me a lot.

For this question in particular, because it is an assumption question, locating the argument is highly important AND not missing anything what's mentioned in argument is necessary. Spend 10 seconds thinking whether we really require some additional information for that conclusion. Let me tell you this; most of the time, I can't figure out just by reading the argument what a possible assumption might be. But, after looking at the options, I can eliminate 2-3 options easily.

Don't eliminate an answer choice just because it's wordy, sounds convoluted, uses unheard words. Keep it aside and proceed further to eliminate the choices with conspicuous errors and then come back to the difficult option.

But, read the CR powerscore bible.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat cr [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 01:59
adhithya wrote:

a)Any person who receives chiropractic treatment for back pain may also benefit from other forms of treatment.

b)Large insurance carriers cover chiropractic care for back problems to a lesser degree than they do other medical treatments.

d)Chiropractic treatment is more effective in treating severe back problems when utilized over a long period of time, as opposed to sporadically.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Author's comments
although i was able to get answer using poe ,iam not exactly sure why oa is correct

Although I choose C, I dislike this question.

negation of C shows that treatment prior the disease can reduce the number of patients. But it is true that the treatment after the disease is still effective. the treatment is both preventive and curative and the argument is still correct. and C can not be correct

Although I see manhantan CR very nice, I see some of the questions are strange. why do I not have this feel with OG or gmatprep?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat cr [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 02:12
Answer : C

Note the key words in the argument

Quote:
The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that many people develop severe back problems during adulthood, and that virtually all such people who received chiropractic treatment showed great improvement. Therefore, in order to minimize the proportion[u] of the population [/u]that suffers from back pain, the Ergonomic Society recommended that chiropractic treatment be directed toward those adults who suffer from severe back problems.

The logic jumps like this: Many people develop "something" during adulthood. Virtually all of them improve after treatment A.
Hence, to reduce population suffering from "something" ES says A treatment be directed towards the already something adults.

What is the logic gap here? 1. 'Many' people who develop "something" in adulthood are significant proportion of population
2. Treating others, say non-adults suffering from "something" and adults not already suffering from "something" is not necessary to reduce the population suffering from "something".

Hence C.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 20

Re: mgmat cr [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 23:22
fluke wrote:

The society is recommending this treatment only for those who already suffer from severe back problem.

Why did it not recommend the treatment for those adults who don't suffer from back problem still?

Because, it assumes that the treatment is not preventive but curative.

Nice explanation Fluke. But we are talking of chiropractic or other treatments POST developing severe back problems and not PRIOR
So only people with back ache problems should be in scope.

Someone pls advice.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: mgmat cr [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 01:42
Conclusion says "Therefore, in order to minimize the proportion of the population that suffers from back pain, the Ergonomic Society recommended that chiropractic treatment be directed toward those adults who suffer from severe back problems."

If we negate C we get "Individuals who receive chiropractic or other treatment prior to developing severe back problems are less likely to develop back pain than those who do not."

I dont think we are bothered about a situation "prior to developing back problem".It doesn't match with the conclusion.

B when negated says "Large insurance carriers do not cover chiropractic care for back problems to a lesser degree than they do other medical treatments."

Since Insurance companies are not going to cover chiropractic care, adults wouldn't go for it.Hence it weakens the arguement.

What do you guys think of this reasoning?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat cr [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 02:37
+1 for C, by POE.

Crick
Re: mgmat cr   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2011, 02:37