Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 12:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:24) correct 29% (01:45) wrong based on 108 sessions
The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that many people develop severe back problems during adulthood, and that virtually all such people who received chiropractic treatment showed great improvement. Therefore, in order to minimize the proportion of the population that suffers from back pain, the Ergonomic Society recommended that chiropractic treatment be directed toward those adults who suffer from severe back problems.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
Any person who receives chiropractic treatment for back pain may also benefit from other forms of treatment.
Large insurance carriers cover chiropractic care for back problems to a lesser degree than they do other medical treatments.
Individuals who receive chiropractic or other treatment prior to developing severe back problems are not less likely to develop back pain than those who do not.
Chiropractic treatment is more effective in treating severe back problems when utilized over a long period of time, as opposed to sporadically.
Severe back pain and other problems often cause individuals to miss workdays.

In the above answer choices, can someone apply Logical Negation to choice (C), which is the answer to the question.
My question is to know in which part of the sentence we need to apply the logical negation. In answer choice (C), we can apply logical negation at 3 places. So can someone explain where to apply.

Individuals who DO/DON'T receive chiropractic or other treatment prior to developing severe back problems are LESS LIKELY not less likely to develop back pain than those who do DOES not.

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 4

Re: Logical Negation Technique - Assumption Question [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Krackgmat,

Let me see if I can help..

Individuals who receive chiropractic or other treatment prior to developing severe back problems are not less likely to develop back pain than those who do not.

Is answer C. It's tricky, because as you say there are lots of negatives to work out. So, before we go any further, we need to work out what it actually saying.

It is saying that people who get preventative chiropractic treatment will not fare better than people who do not receive preventative treatment.

Re phrased like that the key 'negation' is clearer (highlighted above).

And it also makes it clear that this is an assumption. Because if we put all our $$ into treating people with back problems we need to know that we could not have spent the money better by treating all people before they get pain (preventative treatment).

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2014, 10:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The Ergonomic Society conducted a study that indicated that   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2014, 10:21