Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 08:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The European Economic Community exported just under $400

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 0

The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2004, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The European Economic Community exported just under $400 billion in goods in 1988, sixty percent more than the United States did and nearly twice as much as Japan's exports.

A) the United States did and nearly twice as much as Japan's exports
B) the United States and nearly double what the Japanese exports were
C) the United States exported and nearly twice as much as the Japanese did
D) what the United States did and nearly twice as much as Japan's exports
E) what the United States exported and nearly double the Japanese exports

Can someone explain the errors in the 4 wrong answers .....

OA: C
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1171

Kudos [?]: 3024 [0], given: 176

Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 09:07
Expert's post
Hi ishaniscrazee,
This is in response to your PM.

The European Economic Community exported just under $400 billion in goods in 1988, sixty percent more than the United States did and nearly twice as much as Japan's exports.

Meaning Analysis:

The ECC exported goods in 1988. So did the US and Japan. But the ECC’s exports were 60% more than those of the US and twice as much as those of Japan.

Error Analysis:

So here action of exporting of three political entities has been compared. The action of ECC and US export has been correctly compared. But this is not the case with the action of Japan because there is no action mentioned here. This is not a parallel comparison.

PoE:

A) the United States did and nearly twice as much as Japan's exports: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B) the United States and nearly double what the Japanese exports were: Incorrect.
i. Action of export of the ECC has been compared to the US. This is illogical.
ii. Use of “double” is not idiomatic here.

C) the United States exported and nearly twice as much as the Japanese did: Correct. All the actions are correctly compared.

D) what the United States did and nearly twice as much as Japan's exports: Incorrect. Repeats the same error as in choice A.

E) what the United States exported and nearly double the Japanese exports: Incorrect. Repeats the comparison error of choice A and the “double” idiom error of choice B.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 20:14
I AM BACK!!

D&E are out because causes incorrect comparison,

A&B are out because what exactly did the US do?

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 08:43
why D and E is wrong? pls explain
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 08:51
in D and E, why
"4000 is 60 percent more than what US exported"
is wrong

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Neeley Thread Master
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 23:47
@vietmoi999

Pls. refer to the egmat post, two posts above your's, in D & E, the second comparison is wrong.

D & E -> the action of exporting is incorrectly compared to Japan's exports.

Hope its clear.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Supply Chain Management (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 8

Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 03:53
After reading all the answers..I think it should be C.
Though I still feel the sentence is a bit awkward.

Cheers!

+1 Kudos if you like my post! :-D

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 11:46
Was torn between C and E. Unfortunately i went for E because i missed out on the comparisons of the EU, US and Japan.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 16:59
crackgmat04 wrote:

How is (C) correct, 60% more than the United States exported? That sounds terrible to me, would someone shed some light here?
Thanks, will throw out some Kudos if helpful only
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-18-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 23:56
Have a question here.

If choice 'D' were "what the United States exported and nearly twice as much as the Japanese did ", will it make sense?

Regards,
Brindha

Cheers,
BG

Hit 'Kudos' if you find my post helpful

OG 13 Verbal Directory: official-guide-verbal-question-directory-og-13-and-og-161949.html#p1121171
Question Of the Day: http://gmatclub.com/blog/category/blog/ ... s/?fl=menu
Extreme Collection of 2000 PS & DS: 1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html?fl=similar
CR Tips & Approach to arrive at Best Answer: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached. I won't stop till I hit 700+

Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 84

Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 22:56
crackgmat04 wrote:

Good one;
Need to find what were the errors in original sentence then we can rectify the coming options. European Economic Community exported Verb - simple past - as the time/ period clearly mentioned. So the remaining comparison list should follow the same verb tense for comparison. Here the Europe , USA and Japan compared. Hence the Japan export's is noun , need verb form. Also the did used in the USA needs the original verb form. The right answer C.

Hope that helps

:banana

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 06:16
C.
If we cut the "United States" part from the sentence, we have to have: European Economic Community exported... twice as much as Japanese did. This is only available in C
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 10:40
I have modified C and D as following to correct the comparison

c. the United States exported and nearly twice as much as the Japan + (exported is in ellipse as per my understanding)
d. what the United States did and nearly twice as much as the Japan + (exported is in ellipse as per my understanding)

my examples
European nations exported as much goods as the Japan
European nations exported goods twice as much as the Japan (did)

Experts, Do you think C and D in above form are now correct ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 11:41
Here we have a similar question :
the-dancing-doll-line-sold-slightly-more-than-3-5-million-150432.html

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% more than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and nearly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line's sales.

A. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and newarly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line's sales
B. the Teeny Tiny Trucks did and nearly 3 times what the Basic Blocks' sales were
C. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line sold and nearly 3 times as much as Basic Blocks' sales.
D. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than Basic Blocks' sales
E. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks line

Above thread is locked by someone and answer is not convincing me.

What you guys think about above question in comparison with this thread question ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?

Re: The European Economic Community exported just under $400   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2014, 11:41